wmw999

Who would be better to have on a death panel?

The only real death panels right now are the groups which decide how to allocate limited dollars for care. It's done by insurance companies for their customers, and by the government for people using government medical care.

For people with no insurance, it's done by the doctors themselves whom they can't get to, or the government/hospitals which limit what they can get for absolutely nothing.

Obviously extremely rich people have no limitations other than ones like organ availability for transplants.

But all you healthy people with insurance -- just try having a complicated and expensive ailment, and then see how great your insurance is.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The only real death panels right now are the groups which decide how to allocate limited dollars for care. It's done by insurance companies for their customers, and by the government for people using government medical care.

For people with no insurance, it's done by the doctors themselves whom they can't get to, or the government/hospitals which limit what they can get for absolutely nothing.

Obviously extremely rich people have no limitations other than ones like organ availability for transplants.

But all you healthy people with insurance -- just try having a complicated and expensive ailment, and then see how great your insurance is.

Wendy P.

;)

The government no question.

I think Americans will eventually have to realize a profit model is not the best model for everything, and something’s should not be done for profit. They should be done with the intent of doing the job as best as possible.

Education, Prisons(justice system), Police, Military, and healthcare should never be viewed as successful depending on how much profit they make but the results they produce.

We are a government of the people for the people and as long as we have people who are so easily manipulated to vote against there own interest well we are fucked.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

BTW, I didn't vote for awhile.

But thinking about it, I'd have to say government. Simply because my care is a far smaller percentage than their overall cost, than it would be for an insurance company. So continuing it has a less visible impact on the bottom line.

Also, given the amount of auditing that the government is subject to, I'd have to say that it's likely to be more open.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's ironic that the right is now accusing the left of trying to scare Grandma about her Medicare. It was the right that said Obama and his 'Death panels" wanted to kill Grandma by turning Grandma's life support off.

It's a no brainer who would make a more compassionate death panel; someone with no financial interest in the outcome.

Nothing like American exceptionalism when it comes to healthcare; we are right and the rest of the civilized world is wrong.

someone with no financial interest in the outcome

I think it's swell that some think the government has "no financial interest" in something/anything

edit: of course, I also think the private insurance company making the decision is also stupid. But making these the only two choices is the worst of all.

Seems neither one allows for the individual to be responsible for the level of care they choose to plan for......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's a no brainer who would make a more compassionate death panel;someone with no financial interest in the outcome.

Going to ban insurance lobbyists and political contributions from insurance companies?
Owned by Remi #?

Education, Prisons(justice system), Police, Military, and healthcare should never be viewed as successful depending on how much profit they make but the results they produce.

Going by the results of countless gov't entities, I don't exactly find it comforting they want to manage my health as well.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Going by the results of countless gov't entities, I don't exactly find it comforting they want to manage my health as well.

AIG, Goldman Sachs, Lehman Bros, Countrywide, Lincoln S&L, Chrysler, ... Poster corporations for wonderful management in the private sector.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

AIG, Goldman Sachs, Lehman Bros, Countrywide, Lincoln S&L, Chrysler, ... Poster corporations for wonderful management in the private sector.

Not defending any corp, but all those still perform their job better than the govt.

Not defending any corp, but all those still perform their job better than the govt.

Really? Which organization bailed them out?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've often wondered how the extremely rich prove that they are extremely rich when they are dying in the emergency room. Some extremely rich (eg Bill Gates) are household names but many are not.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

If any private corp ran with the same efficiency/ability as the govt, they'd have died off long ago. And IMHO, none should have gotten bailed out, but that's a whole other story. A few dying corps does the private industry good and doesn't derail the fact that the govt's track record for handling things is bloated, wasteful, slow, & poor.

If any private corp ran with the same efficiency/ability as the govt, they'd have died off long ago. And IMHO, none should have gotten bailed out, but that's a whole other story. A few dying corps does the private industry good and doesn't derail the fact that the govt's track record for handling things is bloated, wasteful, slow, & poor.

REALLLLLY.. judging from your name... I would think you would support what the government can do.

Would you really want to outsource all those functions to XE.. like some here would??

Well, if you choose the level of care, then you're simply deciding among insurance company death panels. Probably based on up-front price, maybe on other factors.

Wendy P.

REALLLLLY.. judging from your name... I would think you would support what the government can do.

Would you really want to outsource all those functions to XE.. like some here would??

I support the govt on what it should do, and I'm a big believer of a govt that runs least runs best. That doesn't mean there should be no govt at all, but IMHO its way bigger than needs to be. And, no I wouldn't outsource everything, and I do think the govt running things on a local / state level is a much better alternative. But in general, I'd certainly be breaking out the hatchet for some federal amputations :)

So how many grandmothers on Medicare would you like to amputate..

Shall we just send them off into the wilderness to die alone as many tribes did.. ???

how bout we let individual states take it over? at least that way you would be a little closer to the politicians in charge. of it.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Shall we just send them off into the wilderness to die alone as many tribes did.. ???

Well if we're going to immediately jump to such hysterics, let's just put them in a pot and cook them. We can use the calculations Mr. Swift has done to figure out how many people they will each feed for so long, not too mention we could probably recapture some of the heating energy to go back to our power needs. Oh, and there will be job creation as well, with all the rounding, seasoning, transporting, etc. And of course, since they'll be dead, we won't have to worry about the drain they'll be creating.

But if we're going to entertain a less rash side, back to the original point, the gov'ts track record isn't very good. Compare, say USPS with FedEx and UPS. Or private investments for retirement with SS (which I might not even get at the rate its going, thanks for stealing my money). Or NASA with current private ventures (reminds me of some pictures a guy took with a homemade balloon that NASA said would have costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to do, and the guy spent a few thousand, tops).

Think about it, for a moment. If people are corrupt and power hungry, the ones running these evil insurance companies, what makes you really think that the people in the govt aren't just as corrupt and power hungry as well (or potentially)? We don't have to look very far in psychology to see in theory (and experiment) that there is no difference, and certainly history has shown that to be quite true as well in practice.

In a balanced system, a privatized health care is answerable to profits, stockholders, and the govt. When the govt holds all the cards, its answerable to no one.

how bout we let individual states take it over? at least that way you would be a little closer to the politicians in charge. of it.

Sure.. if all of you who want to get rid of Medicare.. will just move to the states that do such a bang up job with state assisted health care.. like most of the bible belt.

Pull those bootstraps up granny.. but plan B.. well how bout that ole traditional tree yall can curl up under to die.

Woo Hoo Dats da ticket all yall can luv

Well if we're going to immediately jump to such hysterics, let's just put them in a pot and cook them. We can use the calculations Mr. Swift has done to figure out how many people they will each feed for so long, not too mention we could probably recapture some of the heating energy to go back to our power needs. Oh, and there will be job creation as well, with all the rounding, seasoning, transporting, etc. And of course, since they'll be dead, we won't have to worry about the drain they'll be creating.

But if we're going to entertain a less rash side, back to the original point, the gov'ts track record isn't very good. Compare, say USPS with FedEx and UPS. Or private investments for retirement with SS (which I might not even get at the rate its going, thanks for stealing my money). Or NASA with current private ventures (reminds me of some pictures a guy took with a homemade balloon that NASA said would have costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to do, and the guy spent a few thousand, tops).

Think about it, for a moment. If people are corrupt and power hungry, the ones running these evil insurance companies, what makes you really think that the people in the govt aren't just as corrupt and power hungry as well (or potentially)? We don't have to look very far in psychology to see in theory (and experiment) that there is no difference, and certainly history has shown that to be quite true as well in practice.

In a balanced system, a privatized health care is answerable to profits, stockholders, and the govt. When the govt holds all the cards, its answerable to no one.

Have you had to use your " private healthcare insurance" for anything yet... I have... and I hope every fuckcin self righteous right wing asshole out there gets exactly the same level of "care" I have recieved. Millions of your fellow countrymen... have recieved similar treatment... that is one reason there is a medicare in the first place... because the prive death panels exist already.

will just move to the states that do such a bang up job with state assisted health care.. like most of the bible belt.

Can anyone explain why state government is so incredibly inept?

And more so, how does that automatically imply that federal government is so incredibly talented and moral?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants