dreamdancer

Barack Obama Middle East speech: Palestinian state should be based on 1967 borders

No, they have never declared that.

they've never declared their nuclear weapons either...

no, though there's little reason to.

What we know without a doubt is that Hamas has declared it's intent to destroy Israel, as have most other neighboring nations, either currently, or for several decades.

and we know that israel has the intention of destroying palestine even if they haven't declared so (why should they as you say).

You are wrong and have no proof, so what you have stated is an outright lie.

Even if the Israelis agreed to that.

i agree that it is very unlikely the israelis will give peace a chance...

That wasn't what I said. You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.

That being said neither side is giving peace a chance. But especially the Palestinians. Their goal is the destruction of Israel.

and the israelis goal is the destruction of palestine.

DD... Can you afford to buy a clue????

Your delusion that the Palistinians desire peace with anything less than the 100% destruction of Israel and all the jews found there is laughable in its complete and utter lack of reality.

Seriously.. whats up.. how deep does that anti-semitism run in you????

What were you in your last incarnation???

HOLY FUCK

The fact that there are still Palestinians reveals that lie. Israel has backed off from it's decided advantage too many times for anyone to believe you have even a remote grasp on reality when it come to this subject.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

That wasn't what I said. You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.

That being said neither side is giving peace a chance. But especially the Palestinians. Their goal is the destruction of Israel.

DD... Can you afford to buy a clue????

Your delusion that the Palistinians desire peace with anything less than the 100% destruction of Israel and all the jews found there is laughable in its complete and utter lack of reality.

Seriously.. whats up.. how deep does that anti-semitism run in you????

What were you in your last incarnation???

HOLY FUCK

Having discussed this with people in Palestine (and with Palestinians in Jordan recently), it appears to me that the majority of Palestinians would be glad to get half a loaf instead of none (the 1967 borders), but Hamas isn't going to let that happen. Even if it were possible, the Israelis are right about one thing - the West Bank would become Rocket City as Hamas took over everything there (it's the same old story of Arabs and despotism - they really don't know any other way to think or live). It's all pretty stupid. For a while, I thought, "So what? If Israel pulls out of the West Bank (and dismantles all the Jewish settlements there [which by the way are a violation of the Geneva Convention, international law and UN resolutions as well, iirc]) and the Palestinians get uppity again, they can always re-occupy it." But now I'm thinking differently.

A lot of folks don't get it. This isn't about oil or religion. It's about land and water. The Israelis captured and occupied the West Bank, the Sinai Peninsula, Gaza and the Golan Heights more or less simultaneously in 1967, and it has been the argument for "Historic Israel" that the Hassidim have been pushing since then in justifying their overtaking of the Occupied Territories (let's call them what they really are under international law, not just "disputed territories" as the Israelis have so perfumed them. There was no Jewish nation from 54 AD [when the Romans trashed Jerusalem] to 1948). That's almost two thousand years, folks. Wonder what the Statute of Limitations is for that?

Since then they've ceded the Sinai back to Egypt and have essentially ceded control of Gaza.

The West Bank is going to a be a lot harder, and Syria can forget about getting Golan back - the Israelis aren't stupid.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The Israeli Palestine situation is truly fucked up.

But it's bizarre to see both sides act like their side is completely free from fault.

Neither side is going to get everything they want.

So compromise is the only potential solution, which means speaking to each other.

I hate to portray it in these simplistic terms, but when I hear the normal arguments on this topic it sounds like kids arguing in the playground.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

[replyYour delusion that the Palistinians desire peace with anything less than the 100% destruction of Israel and all the jews found there is laughable in its complete and utter lack of reality.

Amazon,
My belief is that noone is entitled to or has any Rights to any parcel of land. People do however have a right to the improvements they made to the land.

That being said has Israel compensated the Palestinians for the destruction of all the improvements that Israel has destroyed?

Peace,
Soon it will blow up in your face!

Jim B

so israel started the war?

You're English, so you know how to read.

yes, israel started the 1967 war...

The war began with a large-scale surprise air strike by Israel on Egypt. The outcome was a swift and decisive Israeli victory. Israel took effective control of the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

The status of the territories captured by Israel during the war and the concurrent refugee problem are central concerns in the ongoing Israeli–Palestinian conflict, raising issues in international law, and having far-reaching consequences in global affairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

the proof is that there is no state of palestine but there is a state of israel. so whose state has been destroyed and by whom?

there's no state of palestine because there has never been a state of palestine.

and there never was a state of israel until the un created it - now time for palestine :)
(which the israelis don't want to exist)

You really don't know much about this do you?

a lot more than you matey...

The fact that there are still Palestinians reveals that lie.

there is no palestine because the israelis detroyed its existence...

I'm completely for giving Palestine the 1967 borders.

Both sides are instigators, both sides claim they're right and the other is wrong and both feel as though they deserve the land. Except the difference is Israel already has a strong state and they seem to be controlled by greed.

And Israel has been able to take so much land from the Palestinians quite easily, by being America's lap dog.

Having Jewish family which I've discussed this matter with - I've seen some of the mentalities that go along with it. "Give it, it's ours - God gave it to us...", along with lack of empathy for any attack that injures Palestinians. That's not to say it's not the same on both sides, I'm sure the views are quite similar on the Palestinian side. The difference is Israel gets patted on the back by larger first world countries for such thinking. Because naturally, if God said it was their land - then it is, chosen people and everything.

Do I have a solution that will solve the problem? No. But I get annoyed with almost everyone hopping on the "I love Israel" bandwagon. I don't know whether it's holocaust guilt or what, but it seems to many that Israel can do no wrong. All I know is that allowing them to take up any land they desire is foolish. And yet when you look at how Palestine has shrunk over the past 60 years, you can see that Israel has done a charming job at being the 'Alpha dog' of the situation. Yet instead people seem to see them as the under dog.

As I said though, both Israel and Palestine have their problems. But to deny Palestinian borders because you're scared of them or because God says otherwise, both seem like crap.

I don't think either side desires peace, Israel seems to think they're entitled to whatever they want and will only find peace when they've made it happen. While I see Palestinians as people who are willing to fight so that they don't get trampled on by results of greed.

I don't fully support either of their mentalities. But the way I've always seen it is that Israel has more power and has used that power to get what they want, while people turn a blind eye because they perceive all Palestinians as evil. And when Palestinians try to hold on to what little they have it's a "Palestinians are so evil!!", yet nobody cries fowl when Israel destroys Palestinian homes.

It's one of those things where people by default support Israel without even knowing the situation. There's probably millions of people who will say Israel is right, simply because Israel lays in bed with the U.S. I bet if the roles were reversed and the Palestinians were the ones held in the safety nets of first world countries, Israel would either have already been bombed or the general thinking would be "Don't let those bullies take what you deserve, fight back..."

/rant

Though I will say that this is based on what I have seen and read. It's an issue I'm willing to listen to. And perhaps change my thinking on, if reliable and logical information should show that Israel should be entitled to everything they claim they are. And the reasons why Palestine should be the enemy and why their presence there should not be accepted and instead why support should be given to oppressing them.

Presidents who have tried to pressurise the Israelis - from Reagan to Obama - have found themselves attacked not just in the Knesset but in Congress. In the words of Paul Findley, a Republican from Illinois who served in the House of Representatives for 22 years before being defeated by an Aipac-funded candidate in 1982: "Congress behaves as if it were a subcommittee of the Israeli parliament." The irony is that there is far more heated debate about Israel's actions on the floor of the Knesset than on Capitol Hill. "For 35 years, not a word has been expressed . . . in either chamber of Congress that deserves to be called debate on Middle East policy," Findley wrote in 2002.

A move to J Street
On 2 May 2002, after Ariel Sharon's invasion of the West Bank and the destruction of the Jenin refugee camp, both houses of Congress overwhelmingly approved resolutions expressing "solidarity with Israel" - 352 to 21 in the House, 94 to two in the Senate.

On 20 July 2006, eight days after the start of Israel's war against Lebanon, Congress passed a resolution endorsing Israeli military action by a vote of 410 to eight. On 9 January 2009, as the Palestinian death toll from the Israeli air assault on Gaza topped 700, the House of Representatives passed a resolution "reaffirming the United States' strong support for Israel in its battle with Hamas". The margin was 390 votes to five.

These comically one-sided resolutions illustrate the power and influence of the Israel lobby on Capitol Hill - and the way in which craven legislators in both main parties blindly throw their support behind any and every act of belligerence. As Uri Avnery, the Israeli author and peace activist, once remarked: if Aipac "were to table a resolution abolishing the Ten Commandments, 80 senators and 300 congressmen would sign it at once".

http://www.newstatesman.com/north-america/2011/05/israel-congress-aipac-peace

Only 700??

I know you probably think they are poor peaceful civilians.. except with the wonderful job that HAMAS does to raise their children with all those wonderful programs like Mickey Mouse sounding even more rabid than did Goebels.

Perhaps your buddies in HAMAS should stop attacking Israel with the daily rockets of peace huh??

Who was it again that was supporting the Nazis in WWII with support and troops again from which side of this conflict?

Their tune has not changed at all since the 1930's

Do you honestly think that will be the end of it? I don't. I think that since Hamas is supported by Iran and their stated goal is to wipe Israel off the map, that they will simply use the gain of the land as a way to further shrink Israel and allow them to more effectively continue their campaign of terrorists attacks.

http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/docs/950500.htm

Do you honestly think that will be the end of it? I don't. I think that since Hamas is supported by Iran and their stated goal is to wipe Israel off the map, that they will simply use the gain of the land as a way to further shrink Israel and allow them to more effectively continue their campaign of terrorists attacks.

once the palestinians have a viable state they have no further need of iran...

Name just one instance where the Palistinian leadership has followed through on an agreed upon concession with israel. Just one.

Name just one instance where the Palistinian leadership has followed through on an agreed upon concession with israel. Just one.

name one concession given by israel to the palestinians - how are those illegal settlements going?

(it's the same old story of Arabs and despotism - they really don't know any other way to think or live).

your racism is showing...

:D:D

Your post to Amazon up thread mades this one of yours

Priceless!:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If Israel agreed to return to the 1967 borders they will also return to the "peace" that existed for them prior to 1967. There would be some other excuse to send rockets into Israel while claiming victimhood. The West Bank and the Golan Hts. would return to whom? Jordan and Syria? Where's "Palestine"? It has never been about the plight of the Palestinian people. They are sadly being used as a political football in an effort by the surrounding Islamic states to exterminate Israel. Iran couldn't care less about the Palestinians other than providing Hamas with such great "human shields".