CarrieByTheSea

This is Going to Sound Pretentious, but...(Federal vs. County Jury Duty)

Hope you've enjoyed the abuse-kinda like a trip to Speaker's Corner without the "Your one warning". I think it's a shame that societal standards have slipped so. Gone the way of common courtesy and and a sense of obligation to anyone but self.And I think they're all related.
That being said-several years ago I showed up for duty dressed to not be selected (I've grown up since then). It didn't work but the stay at home moms that I served with expected me to explain all the narcotics terms to them.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I just checked my mail and you'll never believe what was in there. A summons for federal jury duty. And I'm unemployed, I have no excuse not to go - heck, I'm going to get paid $40 a day just for showing up; I've worked 8 hour days for less than that.

I read the juror information they sent and nowhere do I see clothing mentioned. After this thread though, I think I know exactly what I'm going to wear. >:(

>Were you calling me an idiot here, Bill?

No, but welcome back! I might suggest that if you're going to approach this place with that attitude, you will be a lot happier sticking to Speaker's Corner.

Different year, same double standard. Nice to see you too, bill.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I just checked my mail and you'll never believe what was in there. A summons for federal jury duty. And I'm unemployed, I have no excuse not to go - heck, I'm going to get paid $40 a day just for showing up; I've worked 8 hour days for less than that.

I read the juror information they sent and nowhere do I see clothing mentioned. After this thread though, I think I know exactly what I'm going to wear. >:(

That's the post of the thread right there folks. :D Post pics. Pretty please.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Your hockey gear? B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hope you've enjoyed the abuse

I am phlegmatic, however amused at times. For example, many people in this thread made the judgement those in t-shirts and spandex simply could not afford anything else. The only judgement I made based on clothes, was the lack of respect and refusal to follow the directions that were bolded for them on their summons.

Though, it does make me wonder if prices have skyrocketed at the Salvation Army for dress attire. Years ago my hunny was in desperate need of a pair of pants due to various happenings the night before and the only place anywhere near the DZ was a Salvation Army. In less than five minutes I found him a great pair and my jaw dropped when the lady rang me up and told me the total was a little more than a dollar. I felt silly paying on AMEX, but it was better than breaking the $100 I carry for emergencies.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I'm going to get paid $40 a day just for showing up

All the more reason to put your best foot forward.

Here, you only get paid starting on the fourth day and only $30/day unless your employer continues to pay you through service, in which case you get $0 (I fall into the latter category). The unemployed get $15/day for the first three days and $30/day starting on the fourth.

Of course, in any scenario, most people will only serve one day.

Hi

Though, it does make me wonder if prices have skyrocketed at the Salvation Army for dress attire. Years ago my hunny was in desperate need of a pair of pants due to various happenings the night before and the only place anywhere near the DZ was a Salvation Army. In less than five minutes I found him a great pair and my jaw dropped when the lady rang me up and told me the total was a little more than a dollar. I felt silly paying on AMEX, but it was better than breaking the $100 I carry for emergencies.

It has been a long time since you've been to the goodwill, salvation army stores. These days $5 for a used shirt is standard. :(

YMMV depending on location.
One Jump Wonder

Hi

It has been a long time since you've been to the goodwill, salvation army stores. These days $5 for a used shirt is standard. :(

YMMV depending on location.

Those of us without a salvation army or goodwill within about a 2-hour drive would need to pay for the clothes along with the $60 round-trip (gas is a little over $4/gal here) to get the clothes in the first place.

I guess if it's federal jury duty, I may break out my flannels without holes in them. You know, to gussy up a bit.

"5. ATTIRE: Please dress appopriately. Casual clothes are not appropriate. A coat and tie for a man, a dress or pants suit for a woman, or military or other uniform are appropriate."

If I am called I will dress as nicely as possible. Business casual is as fancy as
I can manage if I absolutely must dress according to someone elses notion
of what is appropriate. I do not currently even own a coat and tie (and intend to keep it that way if at all possible) and would certainly not go buy one because the summons told me so.

Do you think you can draw a fair conclusion about who I am based on this little bit of information?
__

My mighty steed

Business casual is as fancy as
I can manage if I absolutely must dress according to someone elses notion
of what is appropriate...Do you think you can draw a fair conclusion about who I am based on this little bit of information?

I would draw the conclusion you can follow directions and respect what was asked/expected of you "in return for the many privileges of living in America" (also quoted from my summons in the fourth of six clear instructions).

The sixth instruction notes forbidden items. Would those so upset with the fifth instruction (attire) be OK with leaving their--however small--pocket knife at home to satisfy someone else's notion of what is appropriate? If so, then it leads one to the conclusion that it is simply a matter of what you agree with and what you don't and thus stubbornness keeps you from sucking it up and putting on a collared shirt and slacks for one day.

>I would draw the conclusion you can follow directions and respect what was
>asked/expected of you . . .

Hmm. In your first post you said:

"Despite the clear directions for men to wear a coat and tie and women to wear a dress or pant suit, not a single man I saw had a coat, much less a tie . . ."

So how would you tell them apart by looking at their clothes? ChrisL, who was not wearing a coat and tie but who "can follow directions and respect what was asked/expected of him" - and those who were not wearing a coat and tie, who apparently could not follow directions or show respect and who "scared the hell out of you?"

Fair enough, if you want to nitpick. I am satisfied with my point w/r/t his response.

The summons arrives two-to-three weeks ahead and one can reschedule if they need more time. Plenty of time to get whatever needs to be prepared for in order.

Clothes seem to be way more personal to others here than they are to me. For me it is simple: The instructions were clear (and the only part in bold was the attire, though two things were in red for whatever reason) and I would have respected the inexpensive Walmart dress way more than the t-shirt and tights.

Nope; it says "unavailable" and thus would only help solidify pyro's claims that nothing is accessible to him.

Bummer; I have an Amazon Prime account too.
I'll just stick to wearing jeans and t-shirts to (insert destination) and offend the thin-skinned.

Nope; it says "unavailable" and thus would only help solidify pyro's claims that nothing is accessible to him.

I'll just stick to wearing jeans and t-shirts to (insert destination) and offend the thin-skinned.

oh, wait! its friday....that means its Hawaiian shirt day!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlzdpHQINpk

And in some social/cultural/legal situations, even involving people who do not have thin skin, don't be surprised if this FTW attitude comes back to bite you in the arse.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...