winsor

Why no summary sinkings?

I am appalled by the "Catch & Release" policy regarding pirates.

Why any vessel that seeks to capture another is not immediately sent to the bottom is beyond me.

What the hell is the thought process here? That, after being given a stern warning, the poor, misguided souls will see the error of their ways and become pillars of the community?

I say that people engaged in such activity should be treated as having a spiritual problem, and they should have a meeting with their maker arranged at the earliest possible opportunity.

BSBD,

Winsor

I am appalled by the "Catch & Release" policy regarding pirates.

Why any vessel that seeks to capture another is not immediately sent to the bottom is beyond me.

What the hell is the thought process here? That, after being given a stern warning, the poor, misguided souls will see the error of their ways and become pillars of the community?

I say that people engaged in such activity should be treated as having a spiritual problem, and they should have a meeting with their maker arranged at the earliest possible opportunity.

BSBD,

Winsor

No problem with catch and release. Catch them 10 miles from shore, confiscate their boat and release them:) (10 miles from shore of course, no need for taxi services)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

They need to be read their Constitutional Rights and brought to New York to stand trial. Isn't that how it's done in a civilized society?

Piracy on the High Seas is pretty much exempt from Due Process as it would apply to civil matters, as well as the rules of engagement for warfare.

There are circumstances recognized under International Law (Geneva Accords, et. al.) whereby individuals may be dispatched on the spot. Piracy is one of them.

If contact with the Mother Ship is lost at the time of the attack, those on the Mother Ship should be left guessing what became of the attackers - of whom nothing should remain.

If the Mother Ship is successfully identified, it should be blown out of the water as well.

Leave us alone and we won't vaporize you, no problem.

BSBD,

Winsor

Quote: "The captain followed the appropriate protocol and authorized an embarked security team to fire warning shots in order for the pirates to turn away"

Glad to see the shipping companies are getting wiser about this. The "warning shots" should be a full box or two of .50 caliber machinegun ammo, and a couple of RPG's.

How is sniping the pirates dead, and sentencing the only survivor to 30+ years in jail "Catch and Release"?

That's not what happened this time.

'"The captain followed the appropriate protocol and authorized an embarked security team to fire warning shots in order for the pirates to turn away," the statement said.'

If you have them in your sights, it is immoral to do anything short of "fire for effect."

Anyhow, three hots and a cot, with better medical and dental than is available for many people who never harmed anyone, is inappropriate treatment for anyone engaged in piracy.

The effectiveness of pirates is by dint of their policy of "no quarter." Anyone engaged in piracy should be held to that standard.

BSBD,

Winsor

Shouldn't pirates be given the same Constitutional Rights as terrorists?

You're just suffering from Pirataphobia. Probably means you secretly wish you were one.

No. The terrorists should be given the same rights as the pirates. Like Winsor suggested.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

The effectiveness of pirates is by dint of their policy of "no quarter." Anyone engaged in piracy should be held to that standard.

BSBD,

Winsor

Winsor,

Although I do not disagree with you on any particular point, "Dead men tell no tales", and "Dead hostages produce no revenue". Dead captives are bad for business. Aside from ransoming a captured ship, getting payoffs for kidnapping is the most lucrative part of the trade.

I have read recently where predatory overfishing by foreign ships in the waters off the Somali coast has led to a sharp decline in legitimate income for the Somalis, hence the piracy. I'm not saying they should be coddled, but they weren't doing this until recently. Of course, the Somalis have a history of this kind of behavior, and before PC times hampered things, the normal retaliatory action was to go ashore and kill as many of them as possible, which convinced remainder to find other means of earning a living.

Until that happens, the piracy will continue, and hostages will occasionally die.

However, it's good to see the President dealing decisively with these vermin, at least on the high seas.

mh

edit to add caveat
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Shouldn't pirates be given the same Constitutional Rights as terrorists?

How would the US Consitution apply to foreign nationals in international waters???:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>Anyhow, three hots and a cot, with better medical and dental than is available
>for many people who never harmed anyone, is inappropriate treatment for anyone
>engaged in piracy.

Well, I'd suggest that it's even more inappropriate for murderers, rapists, wifebeaters etc - but we consider that appropriate punishment for crimes here in the US. I don't see a US serial rapist as better (or more deserving) than a Somalian pirate who hasn't killed anyone.

>Anyhow, three hots and a cot, with better medical and dental than is available
>for many people who never harmed anyone, is inappropriate treatment for anyone
>engaged in piracy.

Well, I'd suggest that it's even more inappropriate for murderers, rapists, wifebeaters etc - but we consider that appropriate punishment for crimes here in the US. I don't see a US serial rapist as better (or more deserving) than a Somalian pirate who hasn't killed anyone.

I agree that a policy of "give them a fair trial and hang them" is fitting and just for domestic criminals.

Piracy and walking the plank just kind of go together, like peanut butter and jelly.

BSBD,

Winsor

>Piracy and walking the plank just kind of go together, like peanut butter and jelly.

And parrots, don't forget parrots.

And don't forget the rum! Arrr, matey! B|

Seriously, though - I'm with Winsor on this. A short dance on a yardarm is far more than they deserve. We've gotten too "civilized" for our own good, it seems. No one wants the political fallout from going ashore and torching the nest, which is what it will take to put a stop to things.

mh

>No one wants the political fallout from going ashore and torching the nest,
>which is what it will take to put a stop to things.

You seem angry when other people try to apply such solutions, though.

Sorry, but wtf? I'm not being obtuse here - please clarify.

mh

>Sorry, but wtf? I'm not being obtuse here - please clarify.

You advocate "torching the nest" - presumably killing people until they are so cowed they will get the pirates to abandon their course of action.

If, say, Iraq managed to "torch your nest" after we invaded them - would you have become cowed, and forced the US to stop the invasion? Or would it just make you madder?

Killing people until they agree with you fails most of the time.

>Sorry, but wtf? I'm not being obtuse here - please clarify.

You advocate "torching the nest" - presumably killing people until they are so cowed they will get the pirates to abandon their course of action.

If, say, Iraq managed to "torch your nest" after we invaded them - would you have become cowed, and forced the US to stop the invasion? Or would it just make you madder?

Killing people until they agree with you fails most of the time.

Not if you kill enough of them, but then the Somalis are notorious for being ungovernable, even amongst themselves. Please stop twisting my words (actually, I should be more thorough in my remarks to prevent that - I do it sometimes, but I often underestimate you). I advocate wiping out the pirates themselves. That means sinking all the ships, destroying the warehouses, etc., major property damage. I'm not for indiscriminate killing, and you know better than that.

Some people in this world just need to be put at room temperature for the sake of the rest of us. However, that doesn't mean I am judge, jury and (indiscriminate) executioner.

mh

Please stop twisting my words (actually, I should be more thorough in my remarks to prevent that - I do it sometimes, but I often underestimate you).

Meh...after awhile you learn to have fun with it and they'll leave you alone.

...but there are always flame words you can use if you're looking for a little action.;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...