normiss

What does this say about your "God"?

Says the same thing that has been evident since the concept of his being began... If he does exist, he just doesn't give a damn about anything other than being praised, egotistical may be the right word to describe him.

He claims to have the power to do anything, yet he is quite content with watching his beloved 'children' be raped and killed. Well I guess it makes sense given he is also okay with sending them to eternal damnation just because they feel there isn't enough evidence to worship him. God is quite clearly one for promoting being gullible, so much so that he makes sure most of his so-called miracles are easily explained with logic and alternate circumstances. Nothing like tricking your beloved children into an eternity of suffering right? That seems good punishment for not accepting a far fetched claim.

The irony is this: When God lets someone die or be raped, the Christians will say that it was God's will and that God doesn't intervene, rather allowing humans to face their own actions and suffer from the acts of others around them. Yet when they win some money or fall pregnant... God has suddenly intervened and provided them with that blessing. Apparently he doesn't care about blessing people with an escape from death though, especially given that there's no change in death ratios between religions.

In the assumption that God did exist. He would be a bully, unjust, egotistical, spiteful, jealous (self proclaimed), sly, underhanded, vengeful and malevolent dictator. Makes me glad I don't believe in his existence, I'd feel like a total ass falling inline for someone with those characteristics, nevermind idolizing and worshipping him.

He would be a bully, unjust, egotistical, spiteful, jealous (self proclaimed), sly, underhanded, vengeful and malevolent dictator.

Sounds like something an unappreciative spoiled ass little rotten brat child would say about his daddy..."I hate you! I hate you!..." tsk tsk tsk.

Nice little temper tantrum though....

Seems like you're just pissed that Jesus isn't your own personal genie...

Lemme guess...you're a glass half empty kinda guy aren't you?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

No temper at all.. I was merely summing up some of the personality traits that could be associated with the behaviour of God.

Though it seems it touched a nerve with your response. You see, it's not about being unappreciative, I could say the opposite about you. That you state things that sound like they're coming from someone whom is obsessed and blinded by 'love', idolizing something so much that you refuse to see the flaws in it (wait, you're not allowed to say God has flaws right?).

Seems like you're just pissed that Jesus isn't your own personal genie...

If I did believe in him, I'd hope he'd at least be good for something besides dying on a cross to smite the not so naive creations of God.

Are you denying that he isn't everything I stated there?

Bully: He threatens people to believe in him by stating that if they don't worship him they'll face eternal suffering.

Unjust: He doesn't care about how good of a life a person lives and rather just cares about people who believe in him. You can be a serial rapist and ask for forgiveness and you're A-Ok in the eyes of God, all is forgiven. While the non-believer who worked in charity his whole life burns in hell.

Egotistical: He creates man-kind for the sole purpose of worshipping him, and according to him that's the reason for our existence. Possibly the most narcissistic thing I have ever heard.

Spiteful: He claims denying him in public is unforgivable. Seems as though he wants to make sure no one dares think something different. (see jealous)

Jealous: "I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God"

Sly / Underhanded: He makes sure all of his miracles are very small, so it will test people's faith. He wants to test their faith? Wow, that's very loving of him. If they fail the test it's only eternal suffering of his beloved children which he loves equally. Makes sure never to make his existence clearly evident, no blatant miracles, rather things that can happen to anyone when one looks at the odds. No line between anomolies and miracles. That's pretty sly and underhanded.

Vengeful: See Unjust and Bully

Malevolent Dictator: Do I even need to explain this one. He forces you to live a life according to his rules and if you stray you best apologize or else you burn in hell. There has never been more of a dictator.

Sorry to spoil the pretty little picture of your perfect God with the reality of his traits.

Being forgiving and merciful is hardly a good trait when you only forgive those who submit themselves to you. That's not being forgiving at all, it's just keeping you from being a complete ass.

Maybe you'd like to tell me that he is great too because he created us and gave us life. Again, that would only be a positive thing if he created our lives for a purpose other than to serve his narcissism.

Lemme guess...you're a glass half empty kinda guy aren't you?

Let me guess, you're the kind of guy who sees an empty glass and refuses to admit it's empty, and would turn to 'it's full of air' in order to quash the thought that it's empty?

Says the same thing that has been evident since the concept of his being began... If he does exist, he just doesn't give a damn about anything other than being praised, egotistical may be the right word to describe him.

He claims to have the power to do anything, yet he is quite content with watching his beloved 'children' be raped and killed. Well I guess it makes sense given he is also okay with sending them to eternal damnation just because they feel there isn't enough evidence to worship him. God is quite clearly one for promoting being gullible, so much so that he makes sure most of his so-called miracles are easily explained with logic and alternate circumstances. Nothing like tricking your beloved children into an eternity of suffering right? That seems good punishment for not accepting a far fetched claim.

The irony is this: When God lets someone die or be raped, the Christians will say that it was God's will and that God doesn't intervene, rather allowing humans to face their own actions and suffer from the acts of others around them. Yet when they win some money or fall pregnant... God has suddenly intervened and provided them with that blessing. Apparently he doesn't care about blessing people with an escape from death though, especially given that there's no change in death ratios between religions.

In the assumption that God did exist. He would be a bully, unjust, egotistical, spiteful, jealous (self proclaimed), sly, underhanded, vengeful and malevolent dictator. Makes me glad I don't believe in his existence, I'd feel like a total ass falling inline for someone with those characteristics, nevermind idolizing and worshipping him.

Very true.

Anyway today is not a good day to be in SC having had my fair dose before 8am at home>:(. Wife was watching some animal show with the kids in bed. As I left the room she said "it is amazing how God made them like that. Anyone who believes God doesn't exist is an idiot". Nice one, very fucking Christian thank-you. You make me swear I will keep my beliefs to myself and not tell the kids; and then tell them yourself anyway putting your own spin on it. Then you go on to cause that kind of shit. Honestly at least in SC you can log-off:|

If God did exist he would not only be everything you have said but a grade A wanker as well.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Ya, well I was hit head on with a pick up truck at 35 mph...I flipped in the air and landed on my feet - not one scratch.

Have you ever considered a career in the circus?
:D:D
Glad you're OK.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Maybe "god" was trying to tell him to check the crosswalk sign or look both ways before stepping in front of a moving vehicle....
:P

See, that's how most people deal with scripture...they read one thing, but only see what they want. They don't deal with the context in order to get an accurate understanding. They just assume things in order to attack the character of those with whom they disagree and deny the truth.

Your inference is entirely wrong...try again.

I really don't feel inclined anymore to waste the time building the context for those who have no intention of understanding anything...

Are you denying that he isn't everything I stated there?

Bully: He threatens people to believe in him by stating that if they don't worship him they'll face eternal suffering.

Ya, some ignorant little childeren think their father is a big bully when he tries to teach them responsiblility for their actions through discipline.

You may also want pollish up your concept of eternal hell...

Unjust: He doesn't care about how good of a life a person lives and rather just cares about people who believe in him. You can be a serial rapist and ask for forgiveness and you're A-Ok in the eyes of God, all is forgiven. While the non-believer who worked in charity his whole life burns in hell.

Nope, God is completely just. You judge by flawed human reasoning and you do not know how or when God works in someone's life.

Egotistical: He creates man-kind for the sole purpose of worshipping him, and according to him that's the reason for our existence. Possibly the most narcissistic thing I have ever heard.

The idea is that when we see him for who he really is, all we will want to do is praise Him.

Spiteful: He claims denying him in public is unforgivable. Seems as though he wants to make sure no one dares think something different. (see jealous)

The unforgivable sin is blashemy against the Holy Spirit. It is believing that God is evil. It is unforgivable because if you think God is evil, you'll never trust him to be lead out of your darkness.

Jealous: "I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God"

There is a difference between say a man being Jealous because his beloved wife is sleeping with his best friend, and the jealousy of a man because his best friend has a better looking wife.;)

Sly / Underhanded:

Yes, he is certainly smarter than us.

Vengeful:

Yes, he is certainly vengeful. Vengeance is the Lord's.

Malevolent Dictator: Do I even need to explain this one. He forces you to live a life according to his rules and if you stray you best apologize or else you burn in hell. There has never been more of a dictator.

Again, you may want to Pollish up on you concept of Hell.

Overall it is evermore clear that you may have never experienced the love of Christ as you claimed you once did.

There is enough here to have a seperate different thread discussing each of the "traits" you listed.

I would love to offer a different prespective to you, but I doubt it will matter much...

Don't flatter yourself...

Al Pacino gave a much better narcissistic, biased and inaccurate performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KTFQ23CWY

Though I can say, you certainly don't appear to be a humanist from your posting history...;)

Ya, some ignorant little childeren think their father is a big bully when he tries to teach them responsiblility for their actions through discipline.

You may also want pollish up your concept of eternal hell...

My concept of hell is based on the bibles.

Luke 16:
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

In Matthew there are several quotes:

"And shall cast them into a FURNACE OF FIRE: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting FIRE,. . ."

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE."

I think that 'ignorant little child' would be quite right in calling their father a bully if the father kicked him and beat him. And God is doing much worse to his beloved children than a swift beating in the face.

Nope, God is completely just. You judge by flawed human reasoning and you do not know how or when God works in someone's life.

Translated: I have no logical rebuttal to your statement so I'll use the untouchable, God works in ways your puny human mind can't understand. Got it, no points for you there. That's always the last resort for Christians who have nothing of essence to put forth.

The idea is that when we see him for who he really is, all we will want to do is praise Him.

But considering he created us, he would have created that desire to want to serve him since he was the creator of human behaviour. Your statement has no effect on his narcissism and desire to watch people suffer just so he can get his ego raised.

The unforgivable sin is blashemy against the Holy Spirit. It is believing that God is evil. It is unforgivable because if you think God is evil, you'll never trust him to be lead out of your darkness.

The verse is: "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come"

Which makes little sense since the trinity is meant to be in essence one. But apparently you can say what you like about that Jesus guy, just don't touch that holy spirit.... Hey wanna see me do something cool and guarantee my place in hell?! Fuck the Holy Spirit.... Oh no I didn't! Now no one even has to pray for me since I've sealed my fate.

There is a difference between say a man being Jealous because his beloved wife is sleeping with his best friend, and the jealousy of a man because his best friend has a better looking wife.

You saying I shouldn't sleep with other Gods? :/ I don't remember this deal! God is jealous in that he wants no one else but him to be praised.

Overall it is evermore clear that you may have never experienced the love of Christ as you claimed you once did.

There is enough here to have a seperate different thread discussing each of the "traits" you listed.

I would love to offer a different prespective to you, but I doubt it will matter much...

You're right I never experienced God, when I was young I really really wanted to. I opened my heart, went to the front of the church, watched everyone else talking in spirits and felt nothing... But I remember mumbling random words because I wanted to pretend I did. I believed for years after that, but I definitely didn't feel anything special, that special feeling I believe, is what people want to be feeling so they create it for themselves.

And you're right as noticed about with my unforgivable blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, there is no saving me. I just like to debate.

Meso.

When I was about 16/17 my best mate and I used to get dragged to church (happy clappers place). What was hilarious was that evening services we were on the sound desk and on a number of occasions we were really praised by the ministers wife for letting the "spirit" flow through us. EVERY single one of those occasions the two of us were stoned:D.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The difference in our viewpoints appears to be that you assume God is the cause of our suffering. The plan of God, as I understand it, is that He created us with free will. We have the capability of knowing Him through faith and self denial or we can set ourselves up as god in His place. We are the cause of our suffering, God provides a means of escape.

Staking your life on a non-existent 'being' is just plain dumb.

It's not like you're risking anything by believing in God.

Belief in God is reasonable. Disbelieving Him is the unreasonable thing. It's not a blind leap of faith to believe in God. It's a blind leap to disbelieve in Him, because you have to believe it all happened without cause, without a designer, without one to keep it reliable and on time, without a stamp of morality from a God who is moral. Belief in God is reasonable.

It's an interesting area of debate we enter into now, I had the same debate with a Jehovah's witness who wanted to convert me in the main road a couple years ago.

You see, if God is all knowing and all powerful he understood perfectly prior to his creation of man that they wouldn't follow (not all, not even majority). He understood man's actions despite the idea of giving them free will, so I will say to you what I said to the man on the street. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be pre-programmed by God to follow his orders than have free will and burn in hell because he never showed me enough evidence. A analogy I used was- if you had a child and you were aware prior to having this child that they would be born deaf, dumb and blind with a painful disease (sounds about equal to the torment hell carries according to the bible) and suffering in the process. Would you still want to have the kid? Would you choose to have it suffer terribly just so you could have that child? I know I wouldn't.

Also if that were the case, what about all the suffering that occurred in the world prior to the birth of Jesus Christ? If God understand buy desired for people to know him and understand him, why did he wait thousands and thousands of years before providing any evidence of him or his existence or teachings. The existence of Jesus and teachings of your God definitely didn't stop a huge crime rate or the suffering of man, in fact if anything it made it more prominent due to the religious wars that followed.

Why would God create a society knowing they would kill in his name. Surely if you can see that your creation will cause so much damage to each other, if you have any compassion you'll rather not be praised than have that.

Staking your life on a non-existent 'being' is just plain dumb.

It's not like you're risking anything by believing in God.

Belief in God is reasonable. Disbelieving Him is the unreasonable thing. It's not a blind leap of faith to believe in God. It's a blind leap to disbelieve in Him, because you have to believe it all happened without cause, without a designer, without one to keep it reliable and on time, without a stamp of morality from a God who is moral. Belief in God is reasonable.

We have a 'special' word reserved for that particular argument ...

It's .... Bollocks!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You sir, make no sense.

How is not believing in him unreasonable?

It's not a blind leap of faith to believe in God

Yes it is.

You have to believe it all happened without cause, without a designer, without one to keep it reliable and on time, without a stamp of morality from a God who is moral

There's 2 points to address here...

First, you make the point that one should need a designer. Why does something need a designer? Do you not believe in the concept of infinity, because if you believe in the concept of infinity, things don't need a creator. Also, if in your idea everything needs a creator, who created God? If you have a theory you need to have a logical basis point for it, not "Everything needs a creator... EXCEPT God, he doesn't need one, he always existed". If one entity can exist in terms of an infinite being, any entity can exist in such a sense. Quite simply, you may pick- either there is infinity and things don't need a creator or you may go with the idea that infinity isn't true and that everything needs a creator, in which case your theory of Gods existence is flawed.

You tie morality with God. Morals aren't passed down from a God. Tribes people all over the world have shown moral activity people showed it long before the Abrahamic God become popular. Morals are something that comes from your brain, the same area that controls compassion, empathy, sympathy. These aren't religious ideas. They are things which exist in developed brains, dogs have no God yet they show empathy and mourning. These are signs of attributes which contribute to peoples ideas of morals. The bible just included a lot of morals which people already had.

Hijackers killed their captives during negotiations.
Sailboat hijack
Very sad.

Everyone has to go sometime. We generally don't get to choose the time or the place. But this is one of those things that cause people who don't believe in God to bring out the argument of "If there is a God, why would this kind of thing happen." That's crazy talk. Thinking that God is going to treat everyone like royalty. Everything that happens in this world gives us the opportunity to grow. Imagine if you never let your kid get hurt or lose their money or experience things that happen in the world.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Hijackers killed their captives during negotiations.
Sailboat hijack
Very sad.

Everyone has to go sometime. We generally don't get to choose the time or the place. But this is one of those things that cause people who don't believe in God to bring out the argument of "If there is a God, why would this kind of thing happen." That's crazy talk. Thinking that God is going to treat everyone like royalty. Everything that happens in this world gives us the opportunity to grow. Imagine if you never let your kid get hurt or lose their money or experience things that happen in the world.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

I’m sure Jean and Scott Adam, Philis Macay and Bob Riggle considered it pure joy, my brother, when they faced these particular trials. Gosh they were lucky.

You sir, make no sense.

How is not believing in him unreasonable?

It's not a blind leap of faith to believe in God

Yes it is.

You have to believe it all happened without cause, without a designer, without one to keep it reliable and on time, without a stamp of morality from a God who is moral

There's 2 points to address here...

First, you make the point that one should need a designer. Why does something need a designer? Do you not believe in the concept of infinity, because if you believe in the concept of infinity, things don't need a creator. Also, if in your idea everything needs a creator, who created God? If you have a theory you need to have a logical basis point for it, not "Everything needs a creator... EXCEPT God, he doesn't need one, he always existed". If one entity can exist in terms of an infinite being, any entity can exist in such a sense. Quite simply, you may pick- either there is infinity and things don't need a creator or you may go with the idea that infinity isn't true and that everything needs a creator, in which case your theory of Gods existence is flawed.

You tie morality with God. Morals aren't passed down from a God. Tribes people all over the world have shown moral activity people showed it long before the Abrahamic God become popular. Morals are something that comes from your brain, the same area that controls compassion, empathy, sympathy. These aren't religious ideas. They are things which exist in developed brains, dogs have no God yet they show empathy and mourning. These are signs of attributes which contribute to peoples ideas of morals. The bible just included a lot of morals which people already had.

Everything does need a designer. I'm looking at my iPhone right now and I'm 100% sure that I wasn't sitting here wishing for something that could keep me from being bored and it poofed in out of thin air.
We live in a world where everything in it is dependent on cause. Everything is. When you see a body of water that is still and you suddenly see concentric rings going out from one another, it's reasonable to conclude that something caused it. It’s not reasonable to think "wow, look at that. Spontaneous generation of ripples!" Now, the water itself didn't cause it. Something outside of the water had to cause it. Like our world, our universe, it didn't create itself. Something outside of it had to create it. People seem to want to lock the cause of our universe inside of our universe. I believe that God created time and space and for Him to create this universe of cause, He had to be outside of it. You won’t find the inventor of the engine inside the engine. You have to look outside of it to find him. And since God is outside of our world of cause, He doesn’t need a cause.
I believe that we have an absolute morality in this world and that it comes from God. There are Atheists and Moral Relativists that preach that there is no absolute moral, and yet they also say that murders of certain people are wrong (which I agree). But if there is no moral center, why are Moral Relativists trying to tell me that a murder is wrong? Slavery is bigger today than ever and most of it is in the sex trade. Christians, Catholics, Atheists, and Moral Relativists alike would say that it is wrong. If there is no God, and no absolute morality, isn’t it reasonable to say that they can’t do what they want to do? I don’t know much about the early tribes, but I do know that God existed before them and therefore His absolute moral existed before them. I also believe that God created everything on this Earth, so he also rules over dogs.