rhaig

DWI on a horse?

If'n you are drunk and on the road , you're a menace, irrespective of your mode of transport.

true, but by the laws in Texas you have to be driving a motor vehicle on a public road and be intoxicated.

They claim that a horse & a mule fit the legal definition of "motor vehicle". But the judge had more sense than that.

PI and a night in the drunk tank would have been the right way to go.
--
Rob

DWI in Texas needs to have an actual motor vehicle. The term motor vehicle is further defined in the Transportation Code, besides what they referenced from the Penal Code. It is one of the fundamental elements of the crime. What they had there was Public Intoxication. If that officer really needed to charge something higher or more involved, then there are a couple of animal statutes that may have been able to be applied, but DWI was the incorrect answer. That is basically an academy level scenario question!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>If'n you are drunk and on the road , you're a menace, irrespective of your mode of transport.

Agreed. But a pedestrian is less likely to kill people than an SUV driver if he's drunk. I'd hate to discourage people who prefer to walk when they decide they are too drunk to drive.

(In this case, a horse is probably even _better_ - a car won't balk if you try to do something stupid with it.)

>If'n you are drunk and on the road , you're a menace, irrespective of your mode of transport.

Agreed. But a pedestrian is less likely to kill people than an SUV driver if he's drunk. I'd hate to discourage people who prefer to walk when they decide they are too drunk to drive.

(In this case, a horse is probably even _better_ - a car won't balk if you try to do something stupid with it.)

A horse can 'spook' and a big wreck is likely. A horse needs to be de-sensitised to city noises and what have you. A panicked horse is hard to handle, even when the rider is sober.

Chuck

A horse can 'spook' and a big wreck is likely. A horse needs to be de-sensitised to city noisea and what have you. A panicked horse is hard to handle, even when the rider is sober.

Chuck

Amen!!!

Edit to add: Not to mention that normal horseshoes on pavement have very little grip. Parade and police horses wear shoes with studs to combat it and STILL slide around like hogs on ice.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A horse can 'spook' and a big wreck is likely. A horse needs to be de-sensitised to city noisea and what have you. A panicked horse is hard to handle, even when the rider is sober.

Chuck

Amen!!!

Edit to add: Not to mention that normal horseshoes on pavement have very little grip. Parade and police horses wear shoes with studs to combat it and STILL slide around like hogs on ice.

True story! I've ridden my horses in many parades and grand entries and have seen one horse 'spook' and set-off other horses. The strange part of it is, you may never know what set that horse off. I've ridden-out with other hands to work cattle and for some un-known reason or another, my horse started crow-hopping and acting up. I was able to get him settled-down and go-on and he was fine.

edit to add: Since then, I keep a 'night latch' on my saddle! ;)

Chuck

A bit off topic, but the mid 80's I was in the North Beach part of San Francisco for new years. There were police on horseback, and M-80's and strings of firecrackers were going off on the ground just a few feet from the horses. The horses didn't even flinch. Pretty impressive. They must have trained them for such situations.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yes, they are impressive! The horses and riders go through extensive training. The horse I had before the one I have now, and I went through a course with our County sheriff's Possee. After 5-days of work, sunrise to sunset with only a lunch break each day, that horse was ready for anything! It was an experience for both of us.

Chuck

A bit off topic, but the mid 80's I was in the North Beach part of San Francisco for new years. There were police on horseback, and M-80's and strings of firecrackers were going off on the ground just a few feet from the horses. The horses didn't even flinch. Pretty impressive. They must have trained them for such situations.

They do train them...they also select for calm dispositions, which helps.

Just like people, horses run a gamut from "Holy shit what was that" to "meh"... ;)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Just like people, horses run a gamut from "Holy shit what was that" to "meh"... ;)

It's all about trust. The trust of a horse to it's rider and vice-versa. The main thing is, that horse will do what you ask, knowing he isn't going to die!

Chuck

It's all about trust. The trust of a horse to it's rider and vice-versa. The main thing is, that horse will do what you ask, knowing he isn't going to die!

Chuck

Very true. I think 'bombproofing' is similar but a different thing. There, you're teaching them that they don't have to run from the loud noise or flappy thing.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

When I had my Belgians, may they rest in peace :(, I would hitch them to a wagon and go out cutting wood. It was normal to have them standing just feet away from where I was running my chainsaw. Didn't bother them a bit. Funny thing was, the younger brother was deathly afraid of chipmunks and squirrels. As long as he was hitched with is brother he was ok, but when by himself...:o.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Chuck

Very true.

As for those two drunk 'idiots' riding up 6th. Street, drunk or sober, that was really dumb!
They're lucky they lived to talk about it. :D
I've been wondering if, the couldn't charge them with 'cruelty to animals'.

Chuck

As for those two drunk 'idiots' riding up 6th. Street, drunk or sober, that was really dumb!

Not the smartest thing to do on 6th Street - there's a LOT of traffic.

Be pretty hard to make the claim, much less make it stick.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If'n you are drunk and on the road , you're a menace, irrespective of your mode of transport.

so, taking the bus or a cab would also make you a menace? how about if you WALK home?

i know you brits like to sleep under tables in the pub, but that's not really an option for someone civilized! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

so, taking the bus or a cab would also make you a menace? how about if you WALK home?

i know you brits like to sleep under tables in the pub, but that's not really an option for someone civilized! :P

Dude, it's England - the cabby has a couple pints waiting on the fare to take a leak before they go... :P
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Chuck

Very true. I think 'bombproofing' is similar but a different thing. There, you're teaching them that they don't have to run from the loud noise or flappy thing.

That's it! Using a stick with a plastic bag tied to it and rubbing all over the horse or shaking it across the ground. Rattling a sack of tin cans, setting-off firecrackers, etc. 'Bomb-proofing'!

Chuck

Youre probably right. Even though there is a big possibility of 'endangerment' to the animals.

Chuck

Youre probably right. Even though there is a big possibility of 'endangerment' to the animals.

Chuck

I haven't found anything on endangerment, just cruelty. Doesn't mean there isn't anything, just that I haven't found it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Chuck

I haven't found anything on endangerment, just cruelty. Doesn't mean there isn't anything, just that I haven't found it.

Thank you! I couldn't find anything either. I'm just guessing but it probably goes back to the times horses were ridden in towns throughout Texas. Not a big deal. I guess, a night in the cooler will have to suffice.:D

Chuck

Chuck

Thank you! I couldn't find anything either. I'm just guessing but it probably goes back to the times horses were ridden in towns throughout Texas. Not a big deal. I guess, a night in the cooler will have to suffice.:D

Chuck

Goes back to the times? Heck, I still see it now.

Done it myself once or twice on trail rides...;)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706