CanuckInUSA

Political Correctness Gone Too Far

Has political correctness gone too far? The "Canadian Broadcast Standards Council" says the 1985 Dire Straits song "Money For Nothing" contravenes the human rights clauses of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code.

Last year, a listener to radio station CHOZ-FM in St. John's complained that the '80s rock song includes the word "faggot" in its lyrics and is discriminatory to gays. So the CBSC has ruled that the song must be edited if it ever to be played again on the Canadian airways.

Has political correctness gone too far? Is it time to go back an censor anything and everything that might offend [insert your favorite special interest group here]. Or is the CBSC doing the right thing and you do approve of the ruling.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2011/01/13/money-for-nothing-radio-play-censor.html

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Big stuff, eh? The song was about a guy whom Knopfler overheard talking about these musicians getting paid millions for doing nothing.

Satire is apparently a bad thing.

In fact, the article reports:

Last year, a listener to radio station CHOZ-FM in St. John's complained that the '80s rock song includes the word "faggot" in its lyrics and is discriminatory to gays.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2011/01/13/money-for-nothing-radio-play-censor.html#ixzz1AydRVgbu

I am issuing a complaint to the CBSC about the reporting of such a word. Hey, the song merely reported what a real guy actually said. Reporting a report about a report of what a guy actually said is, in fact, multiple levels of bigotry.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Good grief! That's one of my favoritist songs ever! People wanting to re-write history books, music and everything else. When does it stop? Do people really think this world is supposed to be some cutesy, Disney type animated full-length feature film? All warm and fuzzy? Political correctness is disgusting on too many levels.

Chuck

It's about time the authorities sorted out this terrible use of music as an avenue to promote hate. Now I think that all they should have a big protest (perhaps just prior to the next Gay Pride Parade) out in front of every library in the country. I am sure there are a few things written in some of those evil books that go against somebodies rights. They could break in, take all the bad books out and burn them in the streets. And if the library staff didn't conform, they could break all the windows in the librarys, and all the windows at the library staffs homes. There would be glass every where. And then we could hunt down all the people who make movies or write books that don't confirm to absolutely every little PC rule and lock them up and..
sound familiar?
DOOG
Muff 846
All you people are here to make sure I have a good time.

Makes me happy that I live in a country where this is not an issue. Every system has its weaknesses. We have to put up with some abysmal hate speech like the Westboro Baptist Church crowd but on balance I would always choose more freedom of expression
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

In celebration of the unedited "Money for Nothing" marathon I am thinking of having a fag today. The problem is I get sick whenever I suck on fags. You have to go back to high school (more the 25 years for me) for the last time I sucked on a fag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OuOLfH1vI

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

What I don't understand is, this song came-out about 1984... where was the protest, then? We had 'gay' people back then, I'm sure. Why, after 100-yrs. or more, people are just now protesting 'Tom Sawyer'? Yet, we have 'rap' (music?) that advocates beating women and killing cops and is a 'front' for illegal activities. Where is the sense... the logic? Too many people have just gotten too sensitive and it appears, nothing better to do than come-up with some silly protest. Bottom line to me is, it's just like their television or radio... change the channel. What happened to Mark Twain's or Mark Knopfler's 'freedom of speech or press?

Chuck

This Mark Knopfler thing is happeningi n Canada. They have different laws regarding speech than we do in the U.S.A. (and also different from other parts of the worl). I prefer ours.

The Mark Twain decision is simply a commercial editorial decision. Some publisher thinks they can attract more sales by changing the N* word out of there. Other publishers can continue with the original (since the work is in the public domain). I would choose to solicit the one that is not changed. I find changes like this much less odious than changes mandated by government.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

>What I don't understand is, this song came-out about 1984... where
>was the protest, then?

There was (and still) no protest in the US over this. It's a Canadian thing. Perhaps they just noticed?

>Why, after 100-yrs. or more, people are just now protesting 'Tom Sawyer'?

No one is protesting Tom Sawyer. The publisher wants to change the book.

This Mark Knopfler thing is happeningi n Canada. They have different laws regarding speech than we do in the U.S.A. (and also different from other parts of the worl). I prefer ours.

The Mark Twain decision is simply a commercial editorial decision. Some publisher thinks they can attract more sales by changing the N* word out of there. Other publishers can continue with the original (since the work is in the public domain). I would choose to solicit the one that is not changed. I find changes like this much less odious than changes mandated by government.

Thank you, for the correction. It just all seems so silly. Whether in the U.S. or Canada.

Chuck

>What I don't understand is, this song came-out about 1984... where
>was the protest, then?

There was (and still) no protest in the US over this. It's a Canadian thing. Perhaps they just noticed?

>Why, after 100-yrs. or more, people are just now protesting 'Tom Sawyer'?

No one is protesting Tom Sawyer. The publisher wants to change the book.

Thanks, Bill. :$

Chuck

I've always felt billy Joel should have been prosecuted for using the word "masturbate" in "Captain Jack". Filthy boy.

always wondered about"...and he's talkin' to Davey, who's still in the Navy, and probably will be for life" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Looks like the radio station is fighting back. They say they are planning to play a unedited "Money for Nothing" marathon. :ph34r:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/01/14/ns-money-for-nothing-marathon.html

They should take a page from Jimmy Kimmel's "this week in unnecessary censorship" and place strategic bleeps in all their songs. It's amazing how a few well-placed bleeps can make anything sound dirty, at least to those of us inclined to think that way already.

Don