kallend

Best and worst jobs

Thank you, interesting list.

Philospher median is $60K. Time for me to retrain. $60K to just sit around and think about things.

Physicians and surgeons are the top 2 median salaries, with surgeons #1 by a huge margin. And people wonder why cost of care here is outrageous.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Thank you, interesting list.

Philospher median is $60K. Time for me to retrain. $60K to just sit around and think about things.

Physicians and surgeons are the top 2 median salaries, with surgeons #1 by a huge margin. And people wonder why cost of care here is outrageous.

Yoiu want a surgeon cutting you open that is will to work foe bottom dollar? :S Surgeons earn every penny!

Yoiu want a surgeon cutting you open that is will to work foe bottom dollar? :S Surgeons earn every penny!

I did not request they be paupers, or work for an outrageously low salary; just that they are paid an outrageously high salary. (But very typical for some here to put words in other people's mouths).

I understand there are many factors that go into their salary; and the salary is what I am criticizing - not the integrity of the people or the quality of their work.

When the median is nearly 200% of the next highest, there is something very wrong.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

>>Or construction machinery operator. $40K to just sit in a chair and push buttons.

Ya, but only if you're a union operator. Those guys have a contract that says they never have to leave the machine and they have a whole other employee (the spotter) who does nothing but walk in front of the machine and tell him where to go. If you're non union, you can bet the foreman is making you get out of the machine and perform labor with the rest of the crew. Great example of how union employees do half the work for twice the pay:S

>Philospher median is $60K. Time for me to retrain. $60K to just sit around
>and think about things.

Or construction machinery operator. $40K to just sit in a chair and push buttons.

I have friends who work in this trade. they earn every penny they make. They do not just sit and push buttons. It is so fucking obvious that you frown down on blue collar workers while you push your pencil. I doubt that you have ever done any type of back breaking work. You frown down on welders (my trade), construction, auto workers, iron workers and all types of back breaking work. Bill, why do you hate the very people who build the cars you drive, the home you live in and the roads you drive on? Why do you believe that blue collar is not worth shit?
One of my best friends has worked in the asphalt trade since we were teenagers. He makes near 50k a year. I highly doubt that you would last one day, doing what he does. He earns every fucking penny he makes. Without guys like him, you would be driving on dirt roads.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I did not request they be paupers, or work for an outrageously low salary; just that they are paid an outrageously high salary. (But very typical for some here to put words in other people's mouths).

I understand there are many factors that go into their salary; and the salary is what I am criticizing - not the integrity of the people or the quality of their work.

When the median is nearly 200% of the next highest, there is something very wrong.

And damn well should be, Nurses should make much ore also!

More than once a skilled surgeon has not only svaed my life, but the quility of my life! As said before, they EARN evey penny they make! My guess is you think pro athletes are worth their outrageuos paychecks!:S

>I have friends who work in this trade. they earn every penny they
>make. They do not just sit and push buttons.

It was a rhetorical comment. Of course they do more than push buttons - and of course philosophers do more than "just sit around and think about things."

>I have friends who work in this trade. they earn every penny they
>make. They do not just sit and push buttons.

It was a rhetorical comment. Of course they do more than push buttons - and of course philosophers do more than "just sit around and think about things."

Then I stand corrected.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Thank god those are not California wages.

LMAO -

Yeah - because there are WAY too many people you have to support with your wages there.:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Don't know where they got their salary info...around here ( Central Indiana) top plumbers make 100,000K or more.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

What if they work hours twice as long as the next highest? Most of the whiners on here couldn't BEGIN to work those hours, with the same stresses. Surgeons earn every penny they make. Be grateful you have them.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

And damn well should be, Nurses should make much ore also!

More than once a skilled surgeon has not only svaed my life, but the quility of my life! As said before, they EARN evey penny they make! My guess is you think pro athletes are worth their outrageuos paychecks!:S

I agree with pirana on this. General practitioners are far underpaid while most surgeons are paid far to much. My life was also once saved by a surgeon but when i saw his bill I almost died of a heart attack. I was rewarded a few months later when he needed some welding done. I charged him at exactly the hourly rate he charged me. At first he refused to pay but changed his mind when i started to "un-repair" the weld job with a grinder and cutoff wheel. :)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I'm a family doctor, and I make more than most surgeons on the posted scale, and I approach the upper end, whether y'all think I deserve it or not. But of course I work WAAAAAY more hours than most of y'all would consider, and what I do in my time is pretty productive overall. If you don't work over 100 hours a week, though, your response is lost to me. I haven't worked UNDER that in the last 6 years...while also being a single mom. Whine if you want, but I've WORKED for what I earn. No food stamps in my household. :)
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I'm a family doctor, and I make more than most surgeons on the posted scale, and I approach the upper end, whether y'all think I deserve it or not. But of course I work WAAAAAY more hours than most of y'all would consider, and what I do in my time is pretty productive overall. If you don't work over 100 hours a week, though, your response is lost to me. I haven't worked UNDER that in the last 6 years...while also being a single mom. Whine if you want, but I've WORKED for what I earn. No food stamps in my household. :)

If you were a PROPER doctor - you would take food stamps on the down'low and help the indigents with their medical bills

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Let's see. I write off "indigents" bills rather than sending them to collections and denying them future services until they pay. That's prob'ly why I have to work so many ER hours to make up for what I LOSE in my clinic, taking care of people who won't pay. Either way, I work crazy long hours, doing stuff I love, taking care of people who don't appreciate it...and I make a really good living working day and night, year-round. :)
--

Don't take this to personal, but could you tell us where you work? I want to be sure NOT to go there for surgical needs. I have worked far to many 100+ hour work weeks to trust my life to somebody who is operating on me in that condition.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>Don't take this to personal, but could you tell us where you work? I
>want to be sure NOT to go there for surgical needs.

You will never have to; she is not a surgeon. You'll instead have the pleasure of going to a board-rated surgeon who will explain in detail what he will do - then will have a resident who hasn't slept in three days do most of the work on you.

It's doubtful that you'll end up here, but if it were to happen, I think you'll be grateful to have a doc who willl come out at ANY hour to take care of you. If you don't want that, then check the little box, and a nurse will send you on your way....
--