quade

Question about SEAL Team Trident

next time I see a marine mom bumper sticker with the EGA on it, I'll tell her you said she has to take it off her car. Because she didn't "earn it".

Well, a marine mom bumper sticker with the EGA on it is obvioulsy showing her pride in her son or daughter. Sort of like the Marine wife bumper stickers.

I don't think I would look down of Private Joe's girlfriend for wearing an EGA on her letter jacket.

Common sense applies. Yeah, there's some exceptions, but it still takes a douche to wear unearned military awards/badges.

Since I'm not a vet of any kind, I don't think my opinion of the situation carries any validity. I'm just wondering what portion of your long and storied military career makes you the arbitrator of these things?

That's just silly. You're simply trying to discredit the messenger by repeating the common fallacy that non-veterans lack moral or ethical entitlement to discuss military-related issues. Play the ball.

[insert analogy here]
[insert semantic-parsing "rebuttal" of analogy here]

Right, play the ball. That is retarded. Unless we're playing pinball, the whole object is to play against the opponent.

The OP has just decided rather than to address his issue and frustrations with the person at hand and try to affect real change he'll just gripe about it in a manner that doesn't change the offensive behavior, wile serving to inflate their sense of right, manager to leave them still unsatisfied, and rile up others thus bringing the attention that the OP craved.

Paul, you write a letter to Beck yet? The guy is a douche, not because he's wearing a piece of flair, but I'm pretty sure he has an address.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I strongly feel that the OP was hoping for reams of outrage from posters who he considers conservative so that he could jump back with a "It's your guy, Beck" rant.
Trolling, baiting, childish, expected.

for this to be true, you need to assume:

1 - Quade stereotypes a bunch of posters into a narrowly defined group

2 - This group of people relate to this guy Beck in a political sense to the extreme point that he's considered to be "their guy"

3 - this group would just knee jerk respond and not do any homework

that would take a very close minded approach as pertaining to treating people as individuals with their own opinions and rather assumes all people are just mindless followers of left or right wing crapulosicity.

I think better of Quade, he doesn't bucket people like that, it would be a bit petty. I think there's only about 4 posters here that even remotely does that and they are obvious and unapologetic about their bias and bigotry.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I strongly feel that the OP was hoping for reams of outrage from posters who he considers conservative so that he could jump back with a "It's your guy, Beck" rant.

for this to be true, you need to assume have observed:

yep
2 - This group of people relate to this guy Beck in a political sense to the extreme point that he's considered to be "their guy"
seems to be the perception, even if inaccurate

I'll bet that was the hope

that would take a very close minded approach as pertaining to treating people as individuals with their own opinions and rather assumes all people are just mindless followers of left or right wing crapulosicity.

Do you read the same posts I do or is there a warm-fuzzy version I don't know about?

I think better of Quade,

I also think well of Quade-much smarter than the average bear but it you read the original post and don't smell a set-up...
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Whatever gets you through the night pal.
Beck is still a douche for wearing it.

Yep, Quade was a BIG Beck fan before this incidence. I have a feeling that Beck could wear a big peace medallion and you would still think he was a douche.

Just to be clear. I was speaking in abstractions and didn't really care about Beck specifically. I simply saw it on him and thought it was a dick-move and wanted to get other people's opinions about the behavior in general. I had even resisted an initial attempt to by another poster to introduce Beck's name into the conversation.

You, brenthutch, are the one that brought Beck's name into this.

I am so glad though that some people feel they can read other people's minds and motives. Perhaps they can get booked into Las Vegas. Kriskin is getting far too old to be doing it any more.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am so glad though that some people feel they can read other people's minds and motives

Like this?
"I think he thinks wearing the pin shows his "support" for the troops, but I think it sends a confusing message of an assumed association. I also think he enjoys that confusion. "

Perhaps they can get booked into Las Vegas. Kriskin is getting far too old to be doing it any more.

Will you leave my name at the door so i get really good seats?

for this to be true, you need to assume:

I think better of Quade, he doesn't bucket people like that, it would be a bit petty. I think there's only about 4 posters here that even remotely does that and they are obvious and unapologetic about their bias and bigotry.

Bwaahahahaha - He really does have you towing the lackey line doesn't he?

Read below in Divots post for the what and why . . . and then I leave you this little tid bit, just in case you cannot get yourself to open your eyes and your mind, leaving your hero worship behind and see what this thread is . . . :D

OK Quade, let them off the hook already.

Not quite done yet. It still needs to simmer a bit.

But he would NEVER bait would he?:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

it was a bit tongue in cheek (for the slower people, I'll start adding icons again), but I like to play nice when I can - even when the others refuse - even so, Q's not in the top 5 yet (three on the left, two on the right) even with the attitude of the last couple years in play.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

it was a bit tongue in cheek (for the slower people, I'll start adding icons again), but I like to play nice when I can - even when the others refuse - even so, Q's not in the top 5 yet (three on the left, two on the right) even with the attitude of the last couple years in play.

I hope you did see that my comments to you were grossly overstated - I really don't believe you have a Q&BV shrine.:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I hope you did see that my comments to you were grossly overstated - I really don't believe you have a Q&BV shrine.:D:D:D

WHAT - a post in Speaker's Corner written over the top for effect and humor????!!!!???

well, I never

won't someone please think of the children?

c'mon,,,,,think about them....c''''moooonnnnnn

OK Quade, let them off the hook already.;)

Not quite done yet. It still needs to simmer a bit.

How does it feel to by hoisted by your own petard?

I dunno. I'll tell you when it happens.

Regardless of whether or not it was given to him by a SEAL Team member. It does not give him the right to wear it.

Paul, it's a miniature replica, not the actual insignia. It's okay. Really. The Teams don't mind a bit.

If it's not the genuine article, then it's nothing but a piece of costume jewelry. DYOC.

edit to add - I'd like you to read my original reply in this thread - I wrote that without knowing what this was about (i.e., Glenn Beck, whoever he is).

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Like I said, a smaller replica would be acceptable IMO.

mh

So you're cool with people who have never been in combat wearing small replica combat action ribbon pins on thier business suits?

If they wish, but they had best be prepared to explain it.

Is a small Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor lapel pin cool for persons who where never Marines?

If a loved one or relative is a member and it's worn as a means of showing solidarity with the member - yes.

Maybe Marine jump wings and scuba bubbles as a bumper sticker would look cool? People would think they're Recon :o

If the item is nothing but a miniature replica - why should anyone be offended, or even care at all?

I'm not debating the legality of wearing this shit; I'm just saying it takes a douche to wear unearned military awards and badges (pins, bumper stickers, etc...).

If they're the genuine article, I agree wholeheartedly.

Lapel pins, replicas, bumper stickers, the real deal; they shouldn't be worn if not earned.

meh.

As long as they aren't the genuine article, and the person wearing them doesn't lay claim to the qualification - so what?

Beck's is a miniature and was given to him by an operator. For Beck to refuse it would show a lack of respect. Why don't you ask the operators what they think?

mh

I don't know why people have to lie about stuff to look bigger in other people's eyes. I had a boss like that once.

He told one big lie about how he had single-handedly disarmed three different parents who had brought guns into our school. He said the last one he knocked out with his own rifle, (after he ripped it out of his hands). The funny thing is, noone ever heard of this happening.

One of his best stories was how he was a Green Beret in Vietnam. I think he was in Vietnam, but it was probably as a clerk typist, not a special forces soldier. He said that he was even trying to draw disability for PTSD, that he now had, from the war. To listen to some of his big windies, you'd think he was John Wayne himself.

One of his best stories was of a halo jump he made into the jungles of Vietnam, without any training. I asked him if he used oxygen and had equipment on that jump. He said, "You bet." He supposedly made this halo jump in the 60's when he was in Vietnam. From what I have read halo jumps were not made in Vietnam until the 70's. And I don't think many were ever made in Nam. I know this guy liked Rambo movies, but this was getting hard to listen to....

So, my question is, how do you handle a boss that is full of shit? I finally told him that I didn't have any respect for him, in front of our superintendent. I guess, I'm lucky I didn't get fired for that. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.....

I don't understand it either. Frankly, I don't want to.

However, this topic is about a miniature replica of an insignia, and whether it is acceptable for someone to display it.

IMO as long as it's not the genuine article and the person isn't wearing it to be a poser - no big deal at all.

mh

However, this topic is about a miniature replica of an insignia, and whether it is acceptable for someone to display it.

Actually is was about trolling and trying to set up certain posters. When that was pointed out, it became about denial. When that was proven wrong, it became about ignoring the thread hoping it would go away.

I don't understand it either. Frankly, I don't want to.

IMO as long as it's not the genuine article and the person isn't wearing it to be a poser - no big deal at all.

mh

I agree. Many people look up to various armed forces. As long as they are not being an imposter, it shouldn't matter. Some people over react to this.

One summer I was jumping at Lost Prairie. I got up early one morning, and it was kind of cold. I had an old fatique shirt that I sometimes wore. It said U.S. Marines on it. I've always looked up to marines, but I sure wasn't trying to pretend I was one.

The next thing you know this guy asked me, if I was a marine. I said no, I just have on the shirt. He then replied well, we should just rip that shirt off of you, in a smart alecky voice. I guess some folks can't see much further than the end of their own nose!