"Religion of Peace" Update - Now Please Tell Me When Something Like This Ever Happened in the West:

I may be myopic here, but I cannot recall an incident like this taking place in the past century or so. If I'm missing something, please feel free to enlighten me. I know you will, billvon :SB|

Pakistan mosque shootout leaves 18 injured - Gun battle followed dispute between rival religious factions over who should lead prayers

Those of you who go on about moral ambiguity should take note. These assclowns aren't satisfied to make war on those who don't believe in their cult, they even make war on those who don't subscribe to their particular variant of it.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I may be myopic here, but I cannot recall an incident like this taking place in the past century or so. If I'm missing something, please feel free to enlighten me. I know you will, billvon

If you're trying to make a point about the religion itself, why is 'the past century or so' relevant?

The only reason that should be used as a qualifier is to make the point that in most of the west society has outgrown its fundamentalist religious shackles. In some parts of Asia they've not got there yet. When they do, the predominant version of Islam over there will be as bland as the predominant version of Christianity over here.

@ Quade: Well played sir!:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Under history, see Ireland.

Yeah, I thought of Ireland when writing my challenge (really, who wouldn't?); However, can you actually cite a specific incident such as this?

This wasn't Catholics vs Protestants (or even Shia vs Sunni). These were assclowns who went to the same mosque, if I read the story right.

Not that I object to them killing each other off, of course. So much the better :D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I just don't think I can get all excited about it when I think of the grander scheme of being ok with blowing other people up for religious reasons in general.

Say what you might about "god" or whatever, but when the knees meet the floor, it ultimately comes down to who is in charge of this particular piece of the prayer rug.

I don't want to say all religious leaders are power hungry, but there sure is a fuck load of them in EVERY religion. In some countries they get to control the local "king" or war-chief or whatever other fuckwad is in power and that goes from the King of Crazytown to the Mayor of Bumfuck Egypt.

Who gets to say prayers? Yeah, that's an important position.

I can almost guarantee if religion was more narrowly controlled in the US, you'd find murders being committed left and right to be the guy at the top.

"Fortunately(?)", in this country, if you want to start up your own Church of the Wackadoodle, you can so it kind of means there's no reason to compete at the level of violence some folks do in other parts of the world.

That said, think about a few of the more "interesting" events surrounding some religions in the US when their authority is challenged.

I can think of at least one guy that was car bombed for suggesting the Mormon Church isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I'm pretty certain there's more than one person who has had a bad day after discussing the Church of Scientology.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I may be myopic here, but I cannot recall an incident like this taking place in the past century or so. :SB|

Read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakaur. The book is based on the 1984 killings of a young Mormon woman and her year old daughter (killed by her brothers in law). The book also spends some time looking at fundamentalism and faith based killings. To say that in the 21st century this kind of thing only happens in Islam is absurd. Although if you narrow it down to only killings between members of the same mosque I suppose you might have a point - I can't recall this happening in a Western religion. :P

However, for an interesting view point on the Islamic faith you should read Infidel or Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Obviously it is only one point of view, and I'm sure that there is a lot that we don't understand, but it is an interesting read nonetheless.

Under history, see Ireland.

It's interesting how so many can dance to the beat of christian violence in "The Troubles" while completly by-passing the political overtones that practically rupture the eardrum.:|
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The same could be said of some of the mindless bigots who post here about the Palestinians, Lebanese, Afghans et al.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yes, sure, we all see cartoons here about the evil mohammad and how to complete an extermination of muslims around the world...wait, that's right you get your panties in a wad if we had such a cartoon...:D:D

"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

should read Infidel or Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Se is a documented liar. I wouldn't believe anything she said or wrote.

Interesting. I've seen a few things, but only minor discrepancies or perhaps embellishments. Nothing all that surprising for someone with that kind of polarizing opinions and that much published / public material. Do you have references or links for this? Like I said, I haven't seen anything major so nothing to discount "interesting" (whether right or wrong) ideas.

Interesting. I've seen a few things, but only minor discrepancies or perhaps embellishments. Nothing all that surprising for someone with that kind of polarizing opinions and that much published / public material. Do you have references or links for this? Like I said, I haven't seen anything major so nothing to discount "interesting" (whether right or wrong) ideas.

She lied about her date of brith, name and circumstance in her asylum application in The Netherlands. She has admitted to the first two, but denies the third. Her family has confirmed the third.

When the political party she worked for refused to pay for her security bills, she switched allegiance to another party, willing to pay her bills.

When the Dutch finally had enough of paying her security bills, she left.

Her actions tell me she will say anything to benefit herself.

I may be myopic here, but I cannot recall an incident like this taking place in the past century or so. If I'm missing something, please feel free to enlighten me. I know you will, billvon :SB|

Pakistan mosque shootout leaves 18 injured - Gun battle followed dispute between rival religious factions over who should lead prayers

Those of you who go on about moral ambiguity should take note. These assclowns aren't satisfied to make war on those who don't believe in their cult, they even make war on those who don't subscribe to their particular variant of it.

mh

My daughter, when she was in England last year, saw monuments to martyrs who were publicly burned at the stake by their fellow Christians over doctrinal disputes.

In Russia, people were burned at the stake over the way they blessed themselves with the sign of the cross.

In America, religious fanatics feel free to plant bombs in Planned Parenthood clinics, as well as to shoot doctors in their homes and even in their churches - during Sunday services.

Religious fanaticism is not confined to the Muslim world only, though it surely does exist there as well. As the man from Bethlehem once said, let us remove the plank from our own eye before we criticize the mote in the eye of another.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The 1921 Tulsa Race Riot grew out of black resistance to the attempted lynching of 19-year old shoeshiner Dick Rowland. Thirty-nine people (26 black, 13 white) were confirmed killed. Recent investigations suggest that the actual number of casualties could be much higher. White mobs set fire to the black Greenwood district, destroying 1,256 homes and as many as 200 businesses. Fires leveled 35 blocks of residential and commercial neighborhood. Black people were rounded up by the Oklahoma National Guard and put into several internment centers, including a baseball stadium. White rioters in airplanes shot at black refugees and dropped improvised kerosene bombs and dynamite on them.

By the 1960s, decades of racial, economic, and political forces, which generated inner city poverty, sparked “race riots” across America. The beating and rumored death of cab driver John Smith by police, sparked the 1967 Newark riots. This event became, per capita, one of the deadliest civil disturbances of the 1960s. The long and short term causes of the Newark riots are explored in depth in the documentary film Revolution '67.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_racial_violence_in_the_United_States
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

My daughter, when she was in England last year, saw monuments to martyrs who were publicly burned at the stake by their fellow Christians over doctrinal disputes.

In Russia, people were burned at the stake over the way they blessed themselves with the sign of the cross.

In America, religious fanatics feel free to plant bombs in Planned Parenthood clinics, as well as to shoot doctors in their homes and even in their churches - during Sunday services.

This is basic strategy...you defeat the enemy from within.

Demons are not in the bars, nor on street corners destroying lives...that is just basic human depravity taking it's course.

Demons are within the church, for the soul purpose of attempting to destroy it and damaging it's witness, both directly and inderectly through their influence.

I'm not usually big on catholic interpretation since many of it's interpretations are clearly antithical to scripture.(and I will gladly and without effort prove that to anyone who challenges that notion.) But here is a statement from Cyprian that is in fact biblical:

“For neither does he [the Devil] seek those whom he has already subdued, nor does he take the trouble to overthrow those whom he has already made his own. The foe and enemy of the Church despises and passes by those whom he has alienated from the Church, and led without as captives and conquered; he goes on to harass those in whom he sees Christ dwell.”

As the man from Bethlehem once said, let us remove the plank from our own eye before we criticize the mote in the eye of another.

Well, actually the saying goes like this:

How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

She lied about her date of brith, name and circumstance in her asylum application in The Netherlands. She has admitted to the first two, but denies the third. Her family has confirmed the third.

When the political party she worked for refused to pay for her security bills, she switched allegiance to another party, willing to pay her bills.

When the Dutch finally had enough of paying her security bills, she left.

Her actions tell me she will say anything to benefit herself.

I knew about the first example, but like you said - she admitted to it freely and had a valid reason (IMO, fear for your life is valid reason) to change her information at the time so that she wouldn't be found.

I think the security bills are a matter of interpretation - I've heard different reasons, but I guess that I don't see that fact that she switched parties and later moved reason enough to discount everything she says. I don't think we have enough of the story to accurately determine the motives behind these actions (although obviously people will make assumptions).

The fact that she requires constant security due to threats on her life because of her viewpoints doesn't strike me as a person that will say anything to benefit themselves. :S

I'm not saying she is right or wrong or that I agree with her - just that I find her viewpoints interesting and again, I haven't found any reason to discount her ideas.

I knew about the first example, but like you said - she admitted to it freely and had a valid reason (IMO, fear for your life is valid reason) to change her information at the time so that she wouldn't be found.

I think the security bills are a matter of interpretation - I've heard different reasons, but I guess that I don't see that fact that she switched parties and later moved reason enough to discount everything she says. I don't think we have enough of the story to accurately determine the motives behind these actions (although obviously people will make assumptions).

The fact that she requires constant security due to threats on her life because of her viewpoints doesn't strike me as a person that will say anything to benefit themselves. :S

I'm not saying she is right or wrong or that I agree with her - just that I find her viewpoints interesting and again, I haven't found any reason to discount her ideas.

Don't you know that most people in here who think a woman should not be afraid to live under Sharia Law, Ie: muslims in general, and bleeding hearts liberals.

You know that this religion of peace is very nurturing and understanding when it comes to women, particularly when denouncing it, and making a movie about it. (Theo Van Gogh anyone?) Renouncing it, just makes them (women) even more accepted and venerated. That is what these people would call "a great start in a very long peaceful life."

Anything contrary to this, is just the figment of your imagination.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon