dgskydive

Get your Warp engines ready folks.

http://gizmodo.com/5692614/antimatter-trapped-for-the-first-time?skyline=true&s=i

This is really cool! Looks like humans may get to travel at almost the speed of light. The potential for unlimited energy is there as well.

Aye Captain! The impulse engines'll never handle it!
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Wow ... the most amazing part for me is the sending e-mails to Jesus bit

Well, he is the author of the piece.

But since his last name is Diaz, I'd guess he pronounces it "Hayzoos".

Not an uncommon name in some places.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This kind of stuff gets me excited. I doubt I will ever live to see the full results of this

now don't go getting your hopes up...;):D

or they may blow up the world messing around with it and none of us will see the results.

It would take well over 100 billion years before that could be a con-cern.;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

>This is really cool! Looks like humans may get to travel at almost
>the speed of light.

Not too much connection between space travel and antimatter right now, other than the Star Trek thing. We'd need better confinement fields than we need for thermal fusion - and if we can confine a fusion reaction well, then our problem is solved anyway, because a fusion reaction with a controllable containment field gives us a rocket that will get us to near the speed of light with nothing more exotic than tritium.

We've got to take steps to make sure that neither the Iranians nor the North Koreans get a hold of it.

Another factor, though, is the amount of energy needed to manufacture antimatter. e=mc^2. Therefore, m=e/c^2. Antimatter may merely prove to be a nice compact storage method for energy. Picture a pound of antimatter - which would, when detonated, be roughly similar to the energy output of Castle Bravo.

But again, it looks like antimatter has to be created. And it costs a FORTUNE! I mean, literally, trillions per gram given the present technologies - meaning there is little doubt in my mind that Congress would pass a law requiring antimatter-based energy systems to be required by 2050 to stop dependence on fossil fuels by consumers...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

All of stop trying to bust my bubble. I know that this is just a first step and there is a lot that we dont know and may never know about anti matter and that is expensive.

Still think it is cool that they have been able to capture it and the possibilities that it presents. I thought skydivers had a little bit of being a dreamer in them.
Dom

Still think it is cool that they have been able to capture it and the possibilities that it presents.

True, it is cool...but it was only captured for about two-tenths of a second...a tremendous feat, but not practical for anything other than study and science fiction novels.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...