dreamdancer

The age of the dollar is drawing to a close

i wonder how long the new china empire will last?

As we now know, dollar hegemony was itself a major cause of both the imbalances and the crisis, for it allowed more or less unbounded borrowing by the US from the rest of the world, at very favourable rates. As long as the US remained far and away the world's dominant economy, a global system based on the dollar still made some sense. But America has squandered this advantage on credit-fuelled spending; with the developing world expected to represent more than half of the global economy within five years, dollar hegemony no longer makes any sense.

The rest of the world is now openly questioning the merits of a global currency whose value is governed by America's perceived domestic needs, while the growth that once underpinned confidence in its ability to repay its debts has never looked more fragile.

Already, there are calls for alternatives. Unwilling to wait for one, the world's central banks are beginning to diversify their currency reserves. This, in turn, will eventually exert its own form of market discipline on the US, whose ability to soak the rest of the world by issuing ever more greenbacks will be correspondingly harmed.

These are seismic changes, of a type not seen for a generation or more. I hate to end with a cliché, but we do indeed live in interesting times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/8111918/The-age-of-the-dollar-is-drawing-to-a-close.html
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

The Australian dollar is consistently worth more than the $US now for a week running, the NZ dollar is at 79 c the canadian @ .99

What is going to be cooked up this time to ditract from the inevitable?

The American empire is falling on its ass.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

China isn't mentioned in your post but I take your point, in brief I think it will last for as long as human rights are suppressed and witheld in China. As for the USA they've had heir day and like the grasshopper who sang all summer long are in for a rude awakening now as their currency declines and is no longer overvalued around the world. Just hope for their sake that the Chinese don't dump some of their vast US dollar reserve on the market.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

So stay in New Zealand.

funnily enough, I am.

Shame is that the seppos wont go down without a fight.

China have been handed it out on a silver platter.

I bet there is nobody on here that does not have at least a dozen things made in China.
and choose chinese prducts over locally produced items because of price.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I bet there is nobody on here that does not have at least a dozen things made in China.
and choose chinese prducts over locally produced items because of price.

Sad but true. I feel like the good days are behind us now..

What the hell, it was fun while it lasted.

at least those of us who don't return items after we've used them.

*WHAM!*

I wonder who is going to write the book, The Rise and Fall of the American Empire.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

at least those of us who don't return items after we've used them.

*WHAM!*

I wonder who is going to write the book, The Rise and Fall of the American Empire.

Well we have to wait for the book - "The rise and fall of Walmarts Prices" and the sequal, "freefall is freefall is freefall"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun