JohnRich

Law curbs McDonald's Happy Meal toys

Smoking was allowed in most workplaces for another 20 years. The smoking rate had already dropped 10%.

Smoking went from being OK to being not OK due mostly to health impacts. The government helped to publicize those health impacts.

Who are you suggesting would have been a better choice to publicize those health impacts. I rather doubt that either the cigarette industry or the advertising and media industries would have done so, and most people don't listen to their doctor.

Government doesn't belong everywhere, but they probably were a positive force in this one. Not in a perfect way, but I don't think anything is just real perfect.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm told the worst mechanical engineering students end up working for amusement parks (my brother, the mechanical engineer, who said that). Maybe we should be glad, for the sake of the children, that he didn't end up as an engineer either :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Smoking was allowed in most workplaces for another 20 years. The smoking rate had already dropped 10%.

Smoking went from being OK to being not OK due mostly to health impacts. The government helped to publicize those health impacts.

Who are you suggesting would have been a better choice to publicize those health impacts. I rather doubt that either the cigarette industry or the advertising and media industries would have done so, and most people don't listen to their doctor.

Government doesn't belong everywhere, but they probably were a positive force in this one. Not in a perfect way, but I don't think anything is just real perfect.

Wendy P.

Publicize...is a HUGE step from "regulating"!

and trust me, "it was OK here" becomes, "They know best" very fast!

You don't believe that obesity is rising year on year in the USA and that junk food marketed at children plays a part in the problem?

Actually, I'll blame the pussification of the parental population. This is yet another enabling step in the continuing pussification of parents. "We don't want parents to have to tell their children no. Why, that would hurt their self-esteem! Let's take that choice from parents. We're a good and kind government."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You don't believe that obesity is rising year on year in the USA and that junk food marketed at children plays a part in the problem?

Actually, I'll blame the pussification of the parental population. This is yet another enabling step in the continuing pussification of parents. "We don't want parents to have to tell their children no. Why, that would hurt their self-esteem! Let's take that choice from parents. We're a good and kind government."

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/Spookydragon/?action=view¤t=Applause.gif&newest=1

Now if they'd only intriduce a law that requires all that enter a fast food outlet to READ andsighn a waiver explaining that continous eating of our product will lead to obestity and or death for 99% of consumers.

What a bizarre conclusion. Where did you get that?

Continuous eating (as in never stopping) of darn near anything will lead to obesity. So we will soon have to sign a waiver at all eating establishments before sitting down to a meal?

I'm now more convinced than ever that education is the key to the obesity problem; and it needs to start with a class in basic logic.

Day one lesson: Calories taken in and not burned in the course of physical activity equals weight gain.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

>Now if they'd only intriduce a law that requires all that enter a fast food
> outlet to READ andsighn a waiver explaining that continous eating of
>our product will lead to obestity and or death for 99% of consumers.

Well, heck, drinking water will lead to obesity or death for 100% of consumers!

But in any case, skydivers don't read waivers, and we only have to sign em once a year, tops, at DZ's. Why would consumers read em at McDonald's? Are you really saying that skydivers would read a McDonald's waiver but not a skydiving waiver?

Of course if it would make people happy we can certainly put a notice on all receipts a la lift tickets at ski places - "payment for this receipt indicates willingness to accept all risks associated with eating fatty foods" etc.

>Now if they'd only intriduce a law that requires all that enter a fast food
> outlet to READ andsighn a waiver explaining that continous eating of
>our product will lead to obestity and or death for 99% of consumers.

Well, heck, drinking water will lead to obesity or death for 100% of consumers!

But in any case, skydivers don't read waivers, and we only have to sign em once a year, tops, at DZ's. Why would consumers read em at McDonald's? Are you really saying that skydivers would read a McDonald's waiver but not a skydiving waiver?

Of course if it would make people happy we can certainly put a notice on all receipts a la lift tickets at ski places - "payment for this receipt indicates willingness to accept all risks associated with eating fatty foods" etc.

"I have read this waiver, and fully understand it contents, and sign it of my own free will!" said in front of a camera, before food is served!B|