Niki1

Rally to Restore Sanity

Is anyone going to the National Mall this Saturday for Jon Stewarts "Rally to Restore Sanity"? I would if I could afford it. I like to think that the rhetoric and tone could come down several levels and still make a point. No one can hear anyting when everyone is shouting.

If anyone's going up I-95 let me know. I'd like to try to be there.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Is anyone going to the National Mall this Saturday for Jon Stewarts "Rally to Restore Sanity"? I would if I could afford it. I like to think that the rhetoric and tone could come down several levels and still make a point. No one can hear anyting when everyone is shouting.

Jon stewart is a comedian and has no real thoughts that would be helpful to repair the government. not worth the time to go.

Jon stewart is a comedian and has no real thoughts that would be helpful to repair the government. not worth the time to go.

Good point. Almost as silly as a B-actor becoming president.

And yet, inexplicably, stand-up comedy still draws in the audiences. Wierd.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Good point. Almost as silly as a B-actor becoming president.

Or a wacky morning zoo radio DJ and a marginal beauty queen.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Difference being, Stewart is lost without his writers, who even knows what,"His" opinion is!

Is he? How do you know?

He's still been pretty funny in some of the interviews he's done on other people's shows. Or were they all pre-scripted too, they just guessed what he was likely to be asked?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Difference being, Stewart is lost without his writers, who even knows what,"His" opinion is!

Not by a LONG shot. Not only is Stewart the head writer for the show. He picks the topics for every joke written and rewrites every joke he delivers.

He's more well informed on more national topics than the vast majority of actual news anchors too. His goal though isn't to deliver the news, but to make fun of other people's coverage of it. In order to do that a person has to be VERY well informed.

I think you've underestimated Stewart by quite a bit.
quade -

+1

Jon Stewart has appeared on a numerous other shows and has done a very good job of speaking about a subject. And he does a good job of bringing folks on his show from all sides of the political isle.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

+2
I hate him. He's scary smart, funny, and good-looking.

Hopefully he won't age well :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree with that. But, he still has no issue, the intent of this is actually a mockery of what Glenn Beck did. I wish it had some more meaning than that. I actually like his program, and Steve Colbert's but the latter one definitely made an ass of himself in congress when he appeared in character....
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I agree with that. But, he still has no issue, the intent of this is actually a mockery of what Glenn Beck did. I wish it had some more meaning than that. I actually like his program, and Steve Colbert's but the latter one definitely made an ass of himself in congress when he appeared in character....

Yeah, Colbert's act at the Congressional thing was regretful. I thought he was funny but then I think a fart in church is funny as hell too.

This is a story on MSNBC about the rally and comedy news shows. Apparently we remember information from a comedic source more than we do from a serious source.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39857395/ns/politics-decision_2010/
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Colbert's but the latter one definitely made an ass of himself in congress when he appeared in character....

I thought that was the wrong thing to do, too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Colbert's but the latter one definitely made an ass of himself in congress when he appeared in character....

I thought that was the wrong thing to do, too.

He didn't ask to go there. He was requested. He told the person that asked him that he would be speaking the same way he normally speaks about any issue talked upon.

If a person asks a comedian to speak in front of Congress, who's responsibility is it if he performs?

This is a little bit like when the National Press Club asked him to speak at the Corespondent's Dinner and then people got upset because he supposedly wasn't respectful "enough" to GWB. Well, what the did they expect?
quade -

hmm, then you're probably not a fan of his opposing rally in support of Fear going on at the same time.

Stewart was a bit funnier when Colbert was still within.

This is a little bit like when the National Press Club asked him to speak at the Corespondent's Dinner and then people got upset because he supposedly wasn't respectful "enough" to GWB. Well, what the did they expect?

Apparently they had no fucking idea what they were doing when they asked him to do this.

To me there's a difference between testifying, whether willingly or unwillingly, and giving a speech. He'd be just as within his rights to lambaste Obama as he was to lambaste Bush.

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of testifying before Congress, but isn't it akin to testifying in court?

Wendy P.

It is, and then again he did not take it seriously enough. But that is ok to behave like a clown in court too, according to quade.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of testifying before Congress, but isn't it akin to testifying in court?

Depends on the circumstance. Congress does call up entertainers from time-to-time to give their particular point of view on a subject and asks them to "perform"; sing, read poetry, whatever . . . yes, even tell jokes.
quade -