skyrider

The Rent Is Too Damn High..., Doesn't Even Pay Rent

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Rent-Is-Too-Damn-High-Candidate-Doesnt-Pay-Rent-105346278.html

Your rent may be too damn high, but Jimmy McMillan's sure isn't.

The Vietnam vet stole the spotlight at the gubernatorial sideshow debate earlier this week, bellowing his campaign platform and party banner, "The rent is too damn high."

But McMillan's indignant pontification doesn't appear to stem from personal experience. As it turns out, he doesn't pay rent at all -- and hasn't done so since the 1980s, according to a published report.

McMillan missed payments on his $800-a-month one-bedroom apartment in Flatbush and his landlord allowed him to live rent free in exchange for maintenance work, reports The New York Times.

The 64-year-old retired postal worker dismissed questions about whether his own affordable situation cheapened his platform.

"It's not about my rent. It's not about me," McMillan told the Post, noting that rents have gone up steadily virtually everywhere else. "What about the children's future? Where will they stay?"

While the rent may not be all about him, the Internet's been flooded with McMillan buzz since his performance in the bizarre debate. He's a top search phrase on Yahoo.com and his mayoral campaign video from 2009 was the most played video on NBCNewYork on Tuesday (see above).

Along with the comedy, however, controversy has marked McMillan's campaign efforts over the years. He's been accused of posting anti-Semitic rhetoric on his website that blames Jewish landlords for the lack of affordable housing in Williamsburg.

Pretty common here I think. Super lives rent free in the building but isnt paid very much since he is getting free room and board.

He is never going to come close to winning an election, but the dude has a point. Rent is to damn high in NYC. You pay through the roof for tiny places and if you want a "luxury apartment" you better be making 250k a year. What does luxury apartment mean? It may be on par with a decent condo rental unit in Cali. A lot of hard working people do have to make a hard choice every month when it comes to paying rent or eating.
Dom

>He is never going to come close to winning an election, but the dude has
>a point. Rent is to damn high in NYC.

I agree - but that's also not a bad thing overall. If prices dropped by 50% you'd never be able to get an apartment in NYC; waiting lists would be decades long. Or people would start buying other people's slots on waiting lists for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the problem would be right back to where it is now. Supply and demand and all that.

Pretty common here I think. Super lives rent free in the building but isnt paid very much since he is getting free room and board.

He is never going to come close to winning an election, but the dude has a point. Rent is to damn high in NYC. You pay through the roof for tiny places and if you want a "luxury apartment" you better be making 250k a year. What does luxury apartment mean? It may be on par with a decent condo rental unit in Cali. A lot of hard working people do have to make a hard choice every month when it comes to paying rent or eating.

Then move, if people quit paying , they will stop charging...

>He is never going to come close to winning an election, but the dude has
>a point. Rent is to damn high in NYC.
I agree - but that's also not a bad thing overall. If prices dropped by 50% you'd never be able to get an apartment in NYC; waiting lists would be decades long. Or people would start buying other people's slots on waiting lists for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the problem would be right back to where it is now. Supply and demand and all that.

There's another solution no one seems to talk about when complaining about high living costs, rents, taxes, etc.
Move someplace else.

and two more solutions !

It all garbage...you stick it out...persevere damnit!

Your family is key!

Family is as family does

We have to cut spending and raise taxes in the short term . . . just to fix Obama admin spending.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It all garbage...you stick it out...persevere damnit!

Your family is key!

Family is as family does

We have to cut spending and raise taxes in the short term . . . just to fix Obama admin spending.

Where do we go nobody knows
Don’t ever say you’re on your way down, when
God gave you style and gave you grace
And put a smile upon your face

;)

Best Regards,

Coreece...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgDqxq1Usw

"everything I do is wrong...everything I do comes undone."

if spending is cut enough , no taxes need be increased !

Have you seen the deficit and the debt?:|

Does this really make any difference in ur life?

How much control do u really have...

Do you know?

:D

Control - Iis an allusion . . . But I have a voice
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

if spending is cut enough , no taxes need be increased !

Have you seen the deficit and the debt?:|

Does this really make any difference in ur life?

How much control do u really have...

Do you know?

:D

Control - Iis an allusion . . . But I have a voice

I only hope my voice glorifies God...

Best regards,

Coreece.

2 days and counting to the end of my ban...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmf1AYgYj6I

So what? Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson were not black, but they all promoted civil rights for blacks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm just stating that rent is to high. Even in a subsidized apartment it is outrageous. Not sure if the scenario you bring up would even be legal though.
Dom

>I'm just stating that rent is to high.

I agree that it's really, really high. But if most of the apartments/condos are full, and people are still moving in to vacated ones even at the insanely high prices of NYC - then from an economic perspective, rents are just right.

A most excellent solution. No one has a "right" to have a decent apartment in an expensive city.

The question is, what is the definition of a "decent" apartment. What you and I would consider "decent" from a So. Cal perspective, is not what is considered a "decent" apartment in NYC. I decent apt back home would be considered a very nice apartment here.

Some of the "luxury" building I have seen here in the city come close to a "very nice" apartment in CA.

Its just shocking to see the prices on some of the places in Manhattan. 3200 a month for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a very small courtyard. I cant remember the SQ footage, but my bedroom was barely wide enough to fit a queen size bed. It was long as hell though. I called it my bowling alley bedroom.

You make more here for sure, so it does kinda even out, but damn....they sure are proud of their apartments in NYC. What gets me is when you have a problem and the landlord or Super wants to act like they are doing you a favor for fixing something.

When I moved into my new one bedroom this summer. I inspected it before I moved in. Put down my 3675.00 to move in and when I did....the freaking shower head was gone. Actually the entire pipe was missing. I was like what???? In two days they basically had came in and taken out shit that was there when I inspected it. When I called the owner, he came over and actually looked surprised at the situation. Then instead of just fixing it right away he offered to go ask my neighbors if I could take a shower in their place until he could get the super to replace what he had taken out. I said to him "how about you fix it now yourself? Or I can just cancel the check I gave you (he hadnt deposited it yet) and go find a new place." He went down to the hardware store and replaced everything in about 45 minutes.

Rent is rent, but you shouldn't have to deal with stuff like that. It happens a lot in NYC.
Dom

then from an economic perspective, rents are just right.

Or they have (seriously) 4 or 5 roommates with temporary walls in place to cut a bedroom in half to make a 2 bedroom into a 4 bedroom. That is if you are a working member of society.

If you dont work and get welfare, you can get a 4 bedroom apartment for nothing. Aaaaaannnnnd not have to work. I think I am on the wrong side of the workforce at times. Different issue I guess, but I wonder if my high rent somehow helps others get that free govt. housing. along with my taxes?

But if most of the apartments/condos are full

That is part of peoples gripe as well. Lots of empty buildings. The Williamsburg area has tons of empty apartments, but the rent is not much cheaper at all and that is in Brooklyn not even Manhattan
Dom

Hey I am good with that.. lets cut all military pay ... active AND retired by 25% like many companies have out here in the sector that is PAYING all the damn bills.

Them boys should get a raise. The free welfare housing should be going to retired and wounded and homeless vets.
Dom