Kennedy

Hate Crime in Seattle

Beating, Robbery in Seattle

Seattle Post Intelligencer via YellowBrix
September 22, 2010
SEATTLE – Two men accused of beating a teenager and blaming it on white oppression were charged Tuesday with a hate crime and first-degree robbery.

Prosecutors allege Ahmed Mohamed, who is black, and Jonathan Baquiring, who is Asian, had blood on them when an officer stopped them shortly after the May 25 attack.

The Washington State Crime Lab returned the DNA test results to a Seattle Police detective Sept. 8. Baquiring was booked into King County Jail at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday. Mohamed is at large with a warrant for his arrest, prosecutors said late Tuesday.

The victim, Shane McClellan, 16, told police he was walking to his West Seattle home from a friend’s house about 2 a.m. the morning of the attack when he saw two men at the top of some stairs. They asked him for a light. As he got closer, they surrounded him and took items from his pockets. McClellan tried to push them off and was punched.
snip

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The victim, Shane McClellan, 16, told police he was walking to his West Seattle home from a friend’s house about 2 a.m. the morning of the attack when he saw two men at the top of some stairs.

I'm not saying the attackers did or didn't say what the vic claims they did, but 16-year-old at 2 am (in the MORNING!) approaching strangers at the top of stairs . . . something ain't right, right there.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What, you think he might be a Tawana Brawley admirer?

Yeah, I wondered where he was and what he was doing there at 2am, but I don't know Seattle neighborhoods so can't tell what kind of area it is. As for being out at 2am, well, he's a teenager. If his parents didn't teach him any better that's on them, but not exactly justificaion for that kind of beating. (unless it's being doled out by his mother and father for catching him out past curfew) :P

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

What, you think he might be a Tawana Brawley admirer?

Not saying either way, but it wouldn't be the first time somebody lied about what they were doing in the middle of the night.

It pisses me off the way the story is written. It means they're going to wind up with a biased jury and that's not good for anybody.
quade -

I was actually pretty impressed with it. The story answered the questions it can reasonably expected to answer. There weren't any obvious deficiencies. It reports what the kid said, what the cops said, who has been arrested and who hasn't, and or had the always riveting victim picture. Yeah, it may affect the jury pool's perception prior to trial, but (A) so does every story about a "hate crime" and (B) the ADA and defense liar will get their day in court, and everyone will tell their story, and judge or jury will decide.
(or more likely, with an apparent mountain of evidence against them, the suspect will plea guilty)
witty subliminal message
1*

I was actually pretty impressed with it. The story answered the questions it can reasonably expected to answer. There weren't any obvious deficiencies. It reports what the kid said, what the cops said, who has been arrested and who hasn't, and or had the always riveting victim picture. Yeah, it may affect the jury pool's perception prior to trial, but (A) so does every story about a "hate crime" and (B) the ADA and defense liar will get their day in court, and everyone will tell their story, and judge or jury will decide.
(or more likely, with an apparent mountain of evidence against them, the suspect will plea guilty)

Not one of the better neighboodhoods in the Seattle area... It's known as SW Seattle or White Center. It's a fairly ethnically diverse area.

oops wrong link before fixed

Aggravated assaults are higher in White Center and Boulevard Park than in King County.
White Center has a higher robbery rate than Boulevard Park and King County.
The rates of rapes in White Center and Boulevard Park are almost twice that of King County.
White Center had a significantly higher rate of domestic violence aggravated assaults than the
rate for King County. The actual level of family violence is unknown since many of these crimes
are not reported (data not shown).

I've never really agreed with the term "hate crime".

Well, too bad.

What's the reason for having that label?

Because it's easier to say than, "The 1964 Federal Civil Rights Law, 18 U.S.C. § 245(b)(2) and The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, enacted in 28 U.S.C. § 994."

Is sentencing more severe for hate crimes?

It elevates it to the Federal level which, among other things, helps separate it from local bias like stacking the jury with members of the local KKK. While that's probably not so big of a deal today, it was a pretty big freakin' deal in 1964. It also mean that we, as an entire country, are officially against crimes committed for no other reason than the race, color, creed, religion or sexual orientation of another person.

Why are "those" kinds of crimes different than "regular" crimes? Because they don't just victimize the individual they're perpetrated against. They are, essentially, terrorism. They are perpetrated not just against one individual, but are intended to also strike fear in people like the victim.

It's a charge not to be taken lightly, which is why cases that turn out to be hoaxes or lies in an attempt to explain away other crimes are especially loathsome.
quade -

Aggravated assaults are higher in White Center and Boulevard Park than in King County.
The rates of rapes in White Center and Boulevard Park are almost twice that of King County.
White Center had a significantly higher rate of domestic violence aggravated assaults than the
rate for King County. The actual level of family violence is unknown since many of these crimes

My first question would be is does the crime scene lay on a logical path between the friend's house and the vic's house . . . or was this more of a 2 am side trip into the neighborhood for some other reason that a 16-year-old kid might have . . . at 2 am?

When I took investigative journalism in college, my instructor used to have this phrase; "It just doesn't look right." This . . . just doesn't look right.
quade -

What he said.

While I despise the term's overusage by certain scum-suckers, it is a valid concern. Many crimes take intent into account so it's not rare or really a contested legal point. Sometimes it's hard to determine, sometimes it's very very easy. You know, burning crosses in "non-white" yards, swastikas at synagogues, that sort of thing is easy. But not every "interracial" crime is a hate crime. He said/she said cross versions are for arbiters to decide. The trouble comes when the race baiting opportunists decry every crime as motivated by hate.
witty subliminal message
1*

What does it matter what the kid was doing out at 2am?
How would that alter the facts of the beating he took?

I'm NOT saying this is what went down, but here's a scenario for you.

Let's say the kid and his friend wanted to buy some drugs. They know this neighborhood is a bit on the sketchy side, but decide to go for it anyway, because hey, they generally don't sell drugs at 2 am in the finer parts of town. Man, if mom and dad find out though, they're going to get into trouble aren't they? Anyway, something bad happens at the drug deal. Friend runs away, but the vic gets the crap beat out of him.

Hmmm, how's he going to explain all this?

Or . . .

Kid decides to go on a little burglary mission, only THAT doesn't turn out too well. How's he going to explain THAT to mom and dad?

Lemme ask you this, have you ever known a 16-year-old to be out at 2 am that wasn't up to something? Ok, sure, maybe you and your buddies were an exception, but in my experience . . . it just doesn't look right.

Let's say YOU are walking in a neighborhood at 2 am, a couple of shadowy figures at the top of a random staircase say, "hey buddy, got a light?" Do you really just walk over to them? Really?

So, "How would that alter the facts of the beating he took?" Well, in both scenarios the kid still gets beaten, true. However, the kid is making a false statement to cover up a petty crime by accusing other people of a pretty big Federal crime.
quade -

While I despise the term's overusage by certain scum-suckers, it is a valid concern. Many crimes take intent into account so it's not rare or really a contested legal point. Sometimes it's hard to determine, sometimes it's very very easy. You know, burning crosses in "non-white" yards, swastikas at synagogues, that sort of thing is easy. But not every "interracial" crime is a hate crime. He said/she said cross versions are for arbiters to decide. The trouble comes when the race baiting opportunists decry every crime as motivated by hate.

QFT. Every single piece of it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What he said.

Golf clap....fully agreed!!

True - but incomplete. The trouble is also that when a motive of ethnic hate is called-out for what it is, all the mouth-frothing lib-haters cry "Race baiting!" It happens on these boards, for example, all the time. Every time thinly-veiled - or even blatant - ethnic bigotry is called-out for what it (really!) is, some predictable twit or two can almost always be counted on to barf out "Here's your race card!!"
(Or even greater genius, like "Since when is Islam a race?" when someone uses the shorthand "racist" instead of typing out "ethnically bigoted".)

True - but incomplete. The trouble is also that when a motive of ethnic hate is called-out for what it is, all the mouth-frothing lib-haters cry "Race baiting!"

Yup - when the mouth-frothing race-baiters claim any and every thing is due to someone's race, you get that sort of response - especially when it's only CERTAIN races that are being 'defended'.

It happens on these boards, for example, all the time. Every time thinly-veiled - or even blatant - ethnic bigotry is called-out for what it (really!) is, some predictable twit or two can almost always be counted on to barf out "Here's your race card!!"

While the equally-predictable twit or two can be counted on to somehow magically determine the reason behind someone's posting.

(Or even greater genius, like "Since when is Islam a race?" when someone uses the shorthand "racist" instead of typing out "ethnically bigoted".)

You should be happy about that - gives you a chance to get some points on your 'religion card'.

Since you're so adamantly opposed to hate crimes, I'm sure the fact that you've said NOTHING about the hate crime committed against McClellan is just a simple oversight....right?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not one of the better neighboodhoods in the Seattle area... It's known as SW Seattle or White Center. It's a fairly ethnically diverse area.

oops wrong link before fixed

"White Center", it definitely ain't. More of an oxymoron.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I can't use the 'quote' function at the moment but in response to what a 16 year old boy would be doing out @ 2am...probably heading home after crawling out of his girlfriend's window. Just sayin' it happens. Frequently.

I just opened the door to see one of my teenage nieces about to walk in around that time recently. :S "Out for a walk, Aunt Jaye".
Uh-huh. Riiiight. I was born last week.

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I can't use the 'quote' function at the moment but in response to what a 16 year old boy would be doing out @ 2am...probably heading home after crawling out of his girlfriend's window. Just sayin' it happens. Frequently.

I just opened the door to see one of my teenage nieces about to walk in around that time recently. :S "Out for a walk, Aunt Jaye".
Uh-huh. Riiiight. I was born last week.

Going to be a great aunt soon huh... it happens;)

That's what I've been afraid of.

Re: White Center. This happened on Thursday. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012986698_shootiing25m.html?syndication=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I used to work in Burien on the edge of White Center. Scary place.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

That's what I've been afraid of.

Re: White Center. This happened on Thursday. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012986698_shootiing25m.html?syndication=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I used to work in Burien on the edge of White Center. Scary place.

It was the voices....[:/]

As far as the neice,I have a similar story in the part of the family we kind of avoid down in Florida. I remember all too well my Cousin Judy managing to get in a family way at an early age. She was a wild child ... a few years older than I was. She got pregnant and then married at age 14. The father was 15 and also a real piece of work and 4 years later he was drag racing and crashed and thrown from his 1957 Chevy. The other car ran over him, injuring him severely but not killing him. He spent 10 years in a coma and when he woke up he was pretty much a child who was now just about to become a grandfather. His daughter was now in a family way herself.

They did not live in a bad area.. just rural backwoods folk that had BBQ on Saturdays with some of their friends. Long about dusk they would break out the satin for the main event. I don't know how the rest of their lives have gone since this was all back in the 50's and 60's and after Grandfather passed in 1968 we avoided further contact. I do know Cousin Judy was a great grandmother before she was 50[:/]

Yup.. that was kinda a scary place too.

Quade....are you completely ignoring the point or simply taking up a well-known greenies propensity for misdirection or what?

Quoted from the article:
"Prosecutors allege Ahmed Mohamed, who is black, and Jonathan Baquiring, who is Asian, had blood on them when an officer stopped them shortly after the May 25 attack.

The Washington State Crime Lab returned the DNA test results to a Seattle Police detective Sept. 8. Baquiring was booked into King County Jail at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday. Mohamed is at large with a warrant for his arrest, prosecutors said late Tuesday."
"The crime lab test confirmed the blood removed from Baquiring’s hands matched McClellan’s blood profile, according to court documents. Police say the swab collected from Mohamed’s hand was a mixture from two individuals.

“Shane McClellan is included as a potential contributor in this mixture,” Moore wrote. "

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE KID WAS DOING OUT AT 2AM.

AND you seem to think the kid is falsifying the rece-related comments that he claims were made. What in the world makes you think that? There's is NOTHING in the article to suggest that.

Misdirection has become the norm from certain groups of people in here. It must be contagious.

Wait! It may not be misdirection after all...maybe it's just reading comprehension.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

AND you seem to think the kid is falsifying the rece-related comments that he claims were made. What in the world makes you think that? There's is NOTHING in the article to suggest that.

I know. That's what is wrong with it. It's completely one sided in a he said/she said case.

Are you seriously suggesting nobody has ever made a false statement to the police? Are you suggesting people have never tried to get away with something by blaming it on people of a different race and calling in a hate crime?

You might wanna google that.

Hell, you might want to read "To Kill a Mockingbird."
quade -

Are you seriously suggesting nobody has ever made a false statement to the police? Are you suggesting people have never tried to get away with something by blaming it on people of a different race and calling in a hate crime?

You might wanna google that.

Hell, you might want to read "To Kill a Mockingbird."

:D:D:D
Is THAT what your read into my post?
:D:D:D:D

Oh hell, more misdirection from the greenies coupled with reading comprehension problems.

You guys are NOT getting better at that. You're being far, far, too transparently obvious.

Do some research, dude, then get back to us when you can address the topic being discussed.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239