Zep

Any trap (clay pidgeon ) shooters out there

I'm an avid universal trench shooter with a problem.
For some reason I just cannot hit a low extreme right clay
any other clay is cannon fodder,
I often spend my days off with a robot trap set to launch
only low right clays but I never manage to hit more than 20%,

Any clay or skeet shooters got any ideas how to remedy this
as I'm at a loss,

Gone fishing

as I'm at a loss,

Uh oh, here come the clay pidgeon advocates.

Thats it, Tomorrow I'm putting kittens in the trap, Jubus be fucked:P

i've trapped 14, less challenging than pigeons

as for the shooting, half the game is in the head, if you are following thru, pointing the gun correctly and pulling the trigger at the right time it is easy ;)
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Do you know where you are shooting relative to the clay? What about going at night, and coating the clay and your shot in glow stick liquid, sort of make it like tracers. Once you know where you are shooting, it is just a matter of making adjustments. Which clay is it? You are in the far right position and it is coming out of the high or low house?

as I'm at a loss,

Any problem you have tends to be something you should have learned on Day 1.

Keep your head down.

Establish the proper lead.

Follow through.

If you are consistently missing, you are likely picking up your head (at least a little) to get a clear picture of the bird you are missing, shooting behind it, or stopping your gun to take the shot.

Another thing that comes to mind is the gun you are using. A Trap gun has a "built-in vertical lead" from a high comb, which makes it a bitch to get a good lead on the bird if it is diving. Thus, with a dedicated Trap gun, you might be shooting over it when it's low and away.

The best practice I can think of for Trap is Skeet. With Skeet, unlike Trap, the bird follows the same path every time, so you can get the kinesthetics of a particular angle completely wired.

After you can consistently run 25 on the Skeet field,
Trap seems a whole lot less challenging.

The solutions that come to mind are to:

A) Try a different gun. If using another shotgun makes a given shot feel easy, stick with it until your level of confidence on the previously tough shots goes up. At that point, switching back to the gun with which you originally had problems won't be an issue, since you have the shot wired.

B) Burn powder. You can have 20% success rate for quite a while - and then it begins to click. You do have to tolerate the period when nothing seems to work to get to the point where it seems natural. Try for 8 rounds a session for a while, and don't let the misses rattle you.

C) Don't try to compensate - be as consistent as possible from shot to shot. Even if you miss, focus on doing the same thing again and again and you will quit missing. If you spend your time trying to do things differently, it is hard to nail the feel of the process that gave you the hit. If you are already hitting 20%, by becoming rock-solid in your consistency, it is much easier to approach 100%.

In any event, if you go out with the intent to have fun either way, your skills will improve. If you get frustrated and are hating life, you are not likely to stick with it enough to get good at it.

So enjoy the hits, let the misses take care of themselves, and have a good time!

Blue skies,

Winsor

Thats it, Tomorrow I'm putting kittens in the trap, Jubus be fucked:P

Watch out You Tube here we come!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Thanks Winsor that was exactly the answer I was looking for.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, as I'm only missing the
low clays on the extreme right it could well be that as I swing I'm subconsiously looking over the barrel
as it drops down to pick up the clay, I've set up a manual trap out in the back field
and when I find a some one willing to spend an hour loading for me I'll get some practice in
working on the points you mentioned.

I'm shooting with two guns, a Franchi prestige semi and a Franchi renaissance over and under
both have made to measure stocks as I have long arms.

Thanks again for a great reply

To the rest of you the reference to kittens was a joke:P

Gone fishing

both have made to measure stocks as I have long arms.

Does your gun fit? A custom stock doesn't mean it fits you. My guess is your head it too low on the stock and you are shooting under the target. The reason you don't miss on the high house is because you are picking your head up off the gun. This is typical for beginner shooters. Are you shooting appropriate to you dominate eye? Also some people have a shifting dominate and require something to partially block the vision of one eye. I have been a skeet coach for many years and shot competitive skeet since 1999. These two things are the most prevalent problems with new shooters including those that have hunted their whole life.
When you say trap I am guessing you mean skeet from your description of the low house as opposed to a high house?
There are three things in addition to a gun that shoots where you point it (you don't aim a shot gun). Those three things are keep your head on the gun (down on the stock tight), keep your eye on the target (do not look at the barrel, most people have a hard time keeping their eye off the barrel. You MUST watch the bird until it breaks), and keep the gun moving (follow through after you pull the trigger). Of course you have to have the proper lead on the target too. Hold points are very important too. Your hold point should be about 1/3 the distance from the house to the place you are going to pull the trigger. What stations are you talking about that you have a problem? On most stations on the low house you should be holding a bit below the door, so the target isn't blocked by the barrel, and your eyes should be looking a few feet out from the door. Your look point being out a few feet utilizes your peripheral vision which is much quicker in picking up moving objects. Of course station 7 is completely different.
You should have a rhythmic cadence. In other words every station should be the same.....PULL......BANG. PULL......BANG
Skeet shooting is 90% in your head not 50% as mentioned above and every shot should be the same with the exception of lead distances.
Another thing is stick with just one gun. Changing guns changes the game even if they are exactly the same.
There are lots of good videos out there for leaning. Todd Bender is a good friend of mine that has a few that are great. Try you tube. You will probably learn a lot just by watching since stance and where you stand on the station are all important too.
First thing though is get your gun fitted so it shoots where you are looking.

I shot skeet for the first time last weekend. Man, that was fun!! B|

I bet skeet didn't think it was fun. :P

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 to 1988 is 7 years-Kallend (oops, it's actually 8 years Kallend)

The decade of the 80's was from 1980 to 1989. 10 years. If you remove 1980 and 1989 you have 1981 to 1988. 8 years.

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to explain in a little more detail.
At our local club we use the universal trench or some times called "five trap"
We have five robot traps with a six man line up, each man shoots then moves one place to the right.
When the shooter calls pull the clay can come from any one of the five traps,

My problem comes whenthe fifth trap (which is to thre right of me) launches a clay,
I'll pick up the clay in my periferal vision swing, lead on the clay and fire I'm 100% sure I do it in a fluid motion and still
follow through after shooting. What I can't see is if I'm shooting high or low or behind the clay.

I have no problems with left clays or clays going straight out, the problem is always on the right past the 30 degree angle.

I constantly use SAGA 28grs 7 1/2 Eurotrap shells

Hope that makes some sense.

Gone fishing

if you are a right handed shooter, then swinging right, especially wide, is far more difficult than swinging left. Rather than just pulling your gun to the left, you have to twist your whole upper body.

Everything Winsor said as well.

You might consider just seeing what your comfortable 'swing range is' standing with the gun in your normal form. Swing left and right and note on the ground how far you can move the barrel and maintain your shooting form throughout the shot.

Then spilt the center and that should help you decide how you position your body relative to the trap house for each shot.