wayneflorida

Is Life Sentence Too Harsh For Man Convicted of Ninth DWI?

I don't know BUT Life in Prisonment is the wrong answer and does not feel like the correct punishment for this crime.

You shouldn't punish someone because of what they could do.

Maybe we should start sending our criminals to the UK.... since you guys believe in all that kinder gentler approach...

Its only fair... the English used numerous countries to rid themselves of their "criminals" for centuries.

So, what would you guys suggest is an appropriate punishment for someone's ninth DWI?

If the offense is strictly for DUI (not for actually hurting someone or damaging property) then we need to acknowledge that anybody can make this mistake once.

1st offense - $1K fine, loss of license for year.
2nd offense - $10K fine, loss of license for 5 yrs, 1 year in jail.
3rd offense - permanent loss of driving privileges, 5 years in jail at minimum.
Any offense with damage to others or their property and the penalties should be much stiffer.
Any offense beyond the 3rd and the offender loses all rights to refuse draconian measures to either keep them sober or keep them locked up forever.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Hopefully they will treat his problem with alcohol during that time.

I don't know what prisons do as far as "treatment," but I think that many of them have AA meetings available, and Texas prisons often have SOS meetings available too. But it's ultimately up to him if he wants to do something about it.

The guy's problem isn't as much with alcohol, as it is with thinking that traffic laws and the laws of physiology don't apply to him.

I really don't care if he's an alcoholic and rides the bus.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>I really don't care if he's an alcoholic and rides the bus.

Agreed. But he's demonstrated that the only way to make sure he rides the bus rather than drives is for him to have full-time supervision (which of course is what prison is.)

>I really don't care if he's an alcoholic and rides the bus.

Agreed. But he's demonstrated that the only way to make sure he rides the bus rather than drives is for him to have full-time supervision (which of course is what prison is.)

Moving to a small island with no cars would work too:ph34r:

Let's not forget this tidbit...

Stovall also had a extensive rap sheet for other crimes, including burglary, credit card abuse and supplying alcohol to a minor.

Not only has he not shown respect for DUI laws, but many others as well.

Geez, at least respect the laws enough to not get caught. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I don't know BUT Life in Prisonment is the wrong answer and does not feel like the correct punishment for this crime.

The article says he will be eligible for parole in 5-15 years, so he will not necessarily spend life in prison.

That kind of changes things,. doesn't it? I just assumed Life meant life - how daft am I:$

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Let's not forget this tidbit...

Stovall also had a extensive rap sheet for other crimes, including burglary, credit card abuse and supplying alcohol to a minor.

Not only has he not shown respect for DUI laws, but many others as well.

Geez, at least respect the laws enough to not get caught. :P

Well, he probably wasn't caught a whole lot of times I'm sure. Drinking (54-18) 36 years and driving drunk, say, 50 days a year = 1,800. Not knowing how many years he might have been in prison it's just a wag.:)