AndyBoyd

AZ immigration law overturned

This is of course not the last word on this issue. AZ will certainly appeal. I would be surprised if the case did not eventually go to the Supreme Court. But for now the law, at least its most controversial parts, has been overturned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_arizona_immigration

Would it be ok to enforce federal immigration law?

This is of course not the last word on this issue. AZ will certainly appeal. I would be surprised if the case did not eventually go to the Supreme Court. But for now the law, at least its most controversial parts, has been overturned.

Not overturned. Portion are blocked or delayed until the courts have their say
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, but only if a state applies for and is granted federal authorization to do so (see below); but until that authorization is applied-for and granted, No.

Generally speaking, state and local police do not have the authority to enforce federal law unless the federal government specifically authorizes them to do so. For those state or local police agencies who do want to assist the federal government in enforcing immigration laws, a mechanism is available for them to do so. Section 287(g) of the immigration code outlines a process whereby state and local governments can enter into agreements with the federal government (MOUs, or memoranda of understanding) that permit them to receive training and enforce federal immigration laws. MOUs are currently in place in Florida and Alabama.

Correct. Bad choice of words on my part.

np
Now we will just see how this plays out

I do get a kick out of all the profiling bitching that was going on but in court the only thing spoke to was federal authority or not

WAFJ
Abraham Lincoln

np

I do get a kick out of all the profiling bitching that was going on but in court the only thing spoke to was federal authority or not

WAFJ

No; to clarify, and I'm not arguing policy, but the parts of the law put on hold by the temporary injunction do include the parts that opponents fear will lead to profiling.

From the article: "The provisions that most angered opponents will not take effect, including sections that required officers to check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws." "...In addition, the judge blocked officers from making warrantless arrests of suspected illegal immigrants."
Those are the parts of the law that give rise to the debate over profiling.

np

WAFJ

No; to clarify, and I'm not arguing policy, but the parts of the law put on hold by the temporary injunction do include the parts that opponents fear will lead to profiling.

From the article: "The provisions that most angered opponents will not take effect, including sections that required officers to check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws." "...In addition, the judge blocked officers from making warrantless arrests of suspected illegal immigrants."
Those are the parts of the law that give rise to the debate over profiling.

I agree that that part is involved but as I understand it, the arguments given were based on fed authority.

Did you see otherwise?
Abraham Lincoln

What does "arrested" mean? The judge wrote (in part);

"Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully-present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status is checked," Bolton, a Clinton appointee, said in her decision.

If you are arrested, how does this affect those who are not in the least involved. Cops routinely run your name through the data base to see if warrants have been issued for you if you are stopped for ... lets say speeding. Your friend is sitting in the passengers seat.

"Step out of the car please,"...

Wait I see my problem ... "lawfully-present aliens," the 10 people in the trunk are of course just having a family reunion.

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

I agree that that part is involved but as I understand it, the arguments given were based on fed authority. Did you see otherwise?

I agree that federal-vs.-state authority is part of it, but as best as I can tell, it looks like all the issues are in the pot.

I agree that that part is involved but as I understand it, the arguments given were based on fed authority. Did you see otherwise?

I agree that federal-vs.-state authority is part of it, but as best as I can tell, it looks like all the issues are in the pot.

Agreed again
My point however is based on the bs the Obama admin used to publicly piss on the law. They claimed over and over again (as many did here) the infringdments on rights of people were the reason the law should not be allowed to stand
Then, they go into court and never mention that. No, the reason is fed power!

You just made a post today to intellectual honesty. This does not seem to meet that criteria (not aimed at you just your point made concerning another topic)
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, but you cannot randomly pull people over for a reasonable suspicion federally either. That's the biggest rub that the RW wants to avoid discussing.

What does "arrested" mean? The judge wrote (in part);

"Requiring Arizona law enforcement officials and agencies to determine the immigration status of every person who is arrested burdens lawfully-present aliens because their liberty will be restricted while their status is checked," Bolton, a Clinton appointee, said in her decision.

If you are arrested, how does this affect those who are not in the least involved. Cops routinely run your name through the data base to see if warrants have been issued for you if you are stopped for ... lets say speeding. Your friend is sitting in the passengers seat.

"Step out of the car please,"...

Wait I see my problem ... "lawfully-present aliens," the 10 people in the trunk are of course just having a family reunion.

How about traffic stops based upon Reasonable Suspicion where registration/license issues are not the foundation of RS? Yea, that's a biggy too.

Agreed again
My point however is based on the bs the Obama admin used to publicly piss on the law. They claimed over and over again (as many did here) the infringdments on rights of people were the reason the law should not be allowed to stand

You just made a post today to intellectual honesty. This does not seem to meet that criteria (not aimed at you just your point made concerning another topic)

I, a white male, gets pulled over w/o PC or lic/reg issues, the case gets tossed for illegal search / seizure. Now, same scenario with a brown person who is a legal citizen; the officer can argue he had RS to pull over and he thought the driver was illegal and the evidence of whatever was seized stands. That amounts to a 14th violation; unconstitutional.

Agreed again

I, a wgite make, gets pulled over w/o PC or lic/reg issues, the case gets tossed for illegal search / seizure. Now, same scenario with a brown person who is a legal citizen; the officer can argue he had RS to pull over and he thought the driver was illegal and the evidence of whatever was seized stands. That amounts to a 14th violation; unconstitutional.

Hi Lucky

You are a funny dude or dudet:D
Abraham Lincoln

Agreed again

I, a wgite make, gets pulled over w/o PC or lic/reg issues, the case gets tossed for illegal search / seizure. Now, same scenario with a brown person who is a legal citizen; the officer can argue he had RS to pull over and he thought the driver was illegal and the evidence of whatever was seized stands. That amounts to a 14th violation; unconstitutional.

Hi Lucky

You are a funny dude or dudet:D

So you have nothing to respond with? Wow, I would be embarrassed if all I could is respond with a Bob Hope-type 1-liner. In case you develope an understanding of the law in the next day or so, I'll post it again:

I, a white male, gets pulled over w/o PC or lic/reg issues, the case gets tossed for illegal search / seizure. Now, same scenario with a brown person who is a legal citizen; the officer can argue he had RS to pull over and he thought the driver was illegal and the evidence of whatever was seized stands. That amounts to a 14th violation; unconstitutional.

Does this mean that anyone in the world will be allowed to stay in AZ now, just as long as they can find some way to get there? Why does the USA bother to have a border? Why does the USA bother to have passports and citizenship? It's open season in the USA as long as you can find some way into the country.

This is definitely good news for the packers at the DZs.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Does this mean that anyone in the world will be allowed to stay in AZ now, just as long as they can find some way to get there? Why does the USA bother to have a border? Why does the USA bother to have passports and citizenship? It's open season in the USA as long as you can find some way into the country.

Having a comprehension problem today?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It looks to me like, this country's government just continues to bow to big business so that big business can have all the cheap labor they want without any 'strings'. To think, these are the same politicians who 'care' so much about their public.
Pfffft...

Chuck

To me, it is just spin once again. The law as passed uses the word "require" ... and the court is putting a hold on that, but the court did not prohibit them from doing so, only placed a hold on requiring them to do so! It will be interesting to see how AZ law enforcement handles it.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

The actual Opinion should be up on Lexis or Westlaw within a day or two. It might be available somewhere else on the Web, but I haven't searched for it. The only real way to find out what issues were argued and what the AZ Court said is to read the Opinion.

America needs tough immigration laws to keep the Canadians from coming in and stealing all the illegal aliens' jobs ;) .
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

The actual Opinion should be up on Lexis or Westlaw within a day or two. It might be available somewhere else on the Web, but I haven't searched for it. The only real way to find out what issues were argued and what the AZ Court said is to read the Opinion.

Definitely. I was working off a quick read of the lay synopsis contained in the article.

If any of you can get your hands on this green cap, use it to go to the ER, DMV, or Laundromat. You will knock hours off your wait time.

Just don't do it at the fast food or any Mexican restaurants in that state or any border states. You'll never get your food.

:D:D:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban