rhys

Whats going on in Korea just now?

I'm hearing headlines along the lines of the US destroying opportnities for dialogue on nuclear dissarment.

War games, what is that? flexing muscles?

How diplomatic.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Judging how North Korea signalled their intentions to restart the Six Party Talks by sinking a South Korean Navy vessel....

I'm guessing that flexing and war games is the very definition of diplomacy in that part of the world!

So what next then?

another Iraq?

Flexing muscles is no way to resolve anything, especially international relations with rougue dictators.

It is like poking a bully in the shoulder. Not wise with quite a predictable outcome.

War does not answer, it hust creates more qusetions.

It makes a shitload of cash for some people though.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Who knows what is next...

Another Iraq? I don't see on what pretext the US could invade DPRK. They certainly would not be looking at any sort of 'coalition of the willing'. Even ROK would do anything to avoid that scenario.

How do you deal with a rogue dictator? Recent history has shown where there was progress being made in the Six Party talks, DPRK then turned around and tested an ICBM launch vehicle and then conducted an underground nuclear test. International reaction was expectedly negative and DPRK reacted accordingly.

When you have a regime where on one hand occassionaly tried to adhere to some sort of international diplomacy, but then on the other hand is so utterly terrified of showing weakness - especially to its own people, you end up with this political 'schizophrenia' that is impossible to negotiate with.

What is the solution? DPRK has been a failed state since its inception. All the sinking of the Cheonan did was shore up support at home for Jong-Il and this soon to be successor.

Honestly, given the UN's reaction of condemning the attack, but not implicating DPRK, the US and ROK really had not choice but to increase sanctions and flex a little muscle. I really can't see DPRK being that worried about a 20 vessel exercise when their own navy has over 30 times that number.

We've been doing annual exercises, err I mean war games for years in South Korea, with and without party talks. This is nothing new, how do you expect South Korea (with the US' help, ofcourse) to defend itself from the North if there is no plan to set in action?

These exercises are joint work-ups to practice that plan and come up with new ones.

Flexing muscles? You bet.

Flexing muscles is no way to resolve anything, especially international relations with rougue dictators.

Rogue bullies don't listen to talk and reason. But if you demonstrate to the bully that you are bigger and badder than he is, and will kick his ass if he messes with you, then the bully will leave you alone and mind his own business.

Honestly, given the UN's reaction of condemning the attack, but not implicating DPRK, the US and ROK really had not choice but to increase sanctions and flex a little muscle.

North korea has claimed to have nothing to do with it.

Can you point me to evidence that they actually did do it?

The Gulf of Tonkin rings a bell!

Is all this a can of worms the american empire can handle/afford, or one the worlds economy and ecology can survive.

You need to move forward with the utmost caution, this is not just a game of chess.

This is beginning to sound like Deja Vu!

Flexing your muscles at a skitzed out dictator that is known for not wanting to be seen as inferior...

Hmm thats wise?:S

They always claim to have nothing to do with it, whatever "it" happens to be at the time.

The official report.

Can you point me to any evidence that they did not do it?

The official report.

Can you point me to any evidence that they did not do it?

I am entirely unsure that s why I asked?!?!:S

:D

but in all seriousness there si some serious dancing on some serious thin ice for both prties now the guns have comoe out of the holster.

If one is wanting to pass themseleves off as the diplomatic and democratic high and mighty, then stooping to a lower level gains no credibility IMO, instability yes it gains plenty of instability, but this is a bid for war not a call for resolution.

There are other ways; but they dont make as much money for the same people!

I'm hearing headlines along the lines of the US destroying opportnities for dialogue on nuclear dissarment.

How diplomatic.

Judging as how DPRK and ROK are still at war, I don't know what you're talking about.

DPRK has heated it up to a point that I'm truly surprised and impressed with ROK's measured response. DPRK should be happy that it's only exercises being conducted.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Honestly, given the UN's reaction of condemning the attack, but not implicating DPRK, the US and ROK really had not choice but to increase sanctions and flex a little muscle.

The Gulf of Tonkin rings a bell!

Is all this a can of worms the american empire can handle/afford, or one the worlds economy and ecology can survive.

You need to move forward with the utmost caution, this is not just a game of chess.

This is beginning to sound like Deja Vu!

Flexing your muscles at a skitzed out dictator that is known for not wanting to be seen as inferior...

Hmm thats wise?:S

Is it that you do not believe the reports that have been written? Or do you think that the attack ever took place at all? Or did the US sink the Cheonan in order to start a war with DPRK?

DPRK has heated it up to a point that I'm truly surprised and impressed with ROK's measured response. DPRK should be happy that it's only exercises being conducted.

That is what the fuss is all about on the reports I have seen, it seems the americans are breathing over the shoulder of the Koreans with a cigar in thier mouth and a lust for war, while the Koreans are more reserved in their approach.

I cannot believe at face value what I am told off the media, anyone that thinks it is not manipulated is an idiot/nieve.

All I can see is that there are some very serious issues, Korea are very nervous and America is poking them in the ribs from behind to go to full on war.

Korea has much more to lose out of this than America....

Tough decisions all in all, but full on war is what you are trying to avoid in the first place isn't it? Why provoke it?

Americans seem to look at war as some kind of excersise or game. It is not it is life, ecology, future and history all being destroyed. Stuff we have little knowledge about and seem to hold little hope for.

Is it that you do not believe the reports that have been written? Or do you think that the attack ever took place at all? Or did the US sink the Cheonan in order to start a war with DPRK?

I don't beleive in reports entirely as they are skewed more often than not.

I beleive the attack took place, but do not have that much knowledge of it, I have learned North Korea denies doing it, that the US have made false flag operations to enter war before, there are others that could be respnsable, and that america seems to be manipulating South Koreas standpoint towards war.

Hypothetical situation ****COMPLETELY MADE UP ON THE SPOT****

say the taliban want america to back off a little, an attack like this in another regon could start a war there and remove some stregnth in afghanistan, you know like in risk, speading your troops too thin...

You would expect more discression when decisions are made for war, Iraq has showed us how that is very far from the case and paranoia and pre emtive war are very dangerous.

American foreign policy reminds me of my friends husky that managed to kill a chicken when it was young...

Now I have also learned that america needs war to remain as it is, it is in two current wars, both started by false or incomplete intellegence.

Iraq was a complete lie, still going on and costing the world more than we are told.

Afghanistans escallation is based on 9/11 of which (not going into conspiracy) nobody has yet been officially through the courts, held accountable for. Was it Bin Ladin or KSM?

Is a confession from the first rouge terrorist group that want to make themselves look badass, all that is needed to believe terrorists?

You have a guy in custody still now in 2010 that is apparently responsable, but a decade later your are $trillions deep in the war, and still hvn't got around to sorting that pesky trial out?

Without any conspiracy the US needs to sort out it's foregn policy to remain the world power because 'trust' plays a big part in that role, and just look at the current world opinion of the US foreign policy. this is not just me that is thinking like this. In order to remain the world power, america needs to rid its economy from the ever growing dependence on war!

His beliefs are easily summed up as: "US BAD."

Bad ASSumtion.

I actually quite like amrerica and its people, have visited more than once and will return, the people are humble the countryis based on solid principals but unfortunately as what ahppens in most countries and any place with money and power; is that the corrupt manipulate the adgenda and rules in order to accomplish thier ever growning lust for power as money comes out of the equation when we get into hundreds of millios of dollars, and we are getting onto the billios and trillions now.

It is America nor the American land or people that are bad, it is the corrupt and power hungry.

This is not limited the the United states, it is world wide, it is human, it is primal and it is our inability to control our selfish ways.

NK warns 'physical response' against South-US drills

North Korea warned Friday there would be "physical response" to the planned joint naval exercises between South Korea and the United States and said it will not apologize for the sinking of a South Korean warship. ...

"There will be a physical response against the steps imposed by the United States militarily," said Ri Tong-il, spokesman for the North Korean delegation here for the ASEAN Regional Forum, in Hanoi, according to Yonhap News. "(The exercises are) another expression of hostile policy against the DPRK (North Korea).

"It's no longer the 19th century, which (maintained) the gunboat policy. It's a new century and Asian countries are in need of peace and development. And the DPRK is also moving to that end," he was quoted as saying.

Ri also said Pak Ui-chun, the North's foreign minister, made clear Pyongyang will not apologize for the sinking of the South Korean warship Cheonan when it was not yet clear who is responsible.

says it all, really.

Sometimes things are not as they seem.

I suggest the focus remais on the sinking incident and resolving that, than muscle flexing. that is just an ego trip and provokes negative response.

If America wants to remain a world power it had better start learning how people other than themelve think.

:D

Seriously it is a pathetic attempt at resolving a problem.

Sometimes things are not as they seem.

true...

If America wants to remain a world power it had better start learning how people other than themelve think.

OK....now you're way off.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...