hwt

Obama's Next Frontier for NASA

Obama's an idiot.

That's what they said about him at Harvard Law School, too. The perfect Trojan Horse.

Here, this is for you.

http://www.christianchua.com/user/image/projector.jpg

Yes, Trojan Horse. Glad you see it that way.

This for you...

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/28/128803587660917022.jpg

Bolden is by far the worst administrator we've ever had. A true figure-head hired by the current Presidential adminstration. Obama knew exactly what he was doing in hiring Bolden. He has sailed our organization down the freakin proverbial river. I am done....

Why are you taking anything on "sodahead.com" as the truth?

Websites such as sodahead and examiner.com are blogger based bullshit sites. 99% of the material on them are copy and paste BS and the 1% that isn't is total nutcase paranoia.

edited to add:
And in this particular case, it looks like both.

edited to further add:
Here's the actual interview without the subjective spin of FoxNews or the paranoid reposting of their fan-boi blogger.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/talktojazeera/2010/07/201071122234471970.html

BTW, it's a very good interview. If you really want to know why we've changed out focus at NASA, I think he drops some very important hints.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Bolden is by far the worst administrator we've ever had. A true figure-head hired by the current Presidential adminstration. Obama knew exactly what he was doing in hiring Bolden. He has sailed our organization down the freakin proverbial river. I am done....

Honestly, I don't think you're paying attention to what they're doing.

I think it's entirely possible that NASA, in changing their mission from Moon focused to asteroids is a far better use of resources and especially when you consider the possibilities of life and death on the planet.
quade -

I didn't really read that article. My opinion was made after I met the man.

Why do you say he's the worst?

He was an astronaut. At least from the interview, he understands the realities of backing down off a mission that was going to have a difficult time being justified in the current economic climate, but he certainly seems to understand the grander problems facing the world that NASA (and ONLY NASA) has the capability of dealing with.

What am I missing?
quade -

With only two shuttle missions left, what else is NASA going to do?

The US will lose the ability to put man in space for the first time. It is a tragedy of national proportions that is not getting enough visibility.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I didn't really read that article. My opinion was made after I met the man.

Why do you say he's the worst?

He was an astronaut.

What am I missing?

Our direction definitely comes from the President. Pre-election he stated one thing....post another. Then, he chose a "Yes" man, Bolden. After a press conference I attended, it was quite evident he came aboard namely to be....the yes man. Just because he's an astronaut doesn't qualify him to be the administrator.

Here's what I do know. We are losing by the hundreds some of the best brain talent America has to offer. Where are they going you ask? Overseas. I'm watching the mass exodus of talent (I'll soon be next), due to Obamas new "plan". You cannot lay off 5000 people and expect to "ramp it up" if/when we decide to land on an asteroid.

I hope we do someday, but can't hang around wondering, will we?

We have the means to continue the Space Shuttle AND the Constellation/Orion project. But not the backing.....

cheers

reply]

With only two shuttle missions left, what else is NASA going to do?

Sad, isn't it? Alas, we give away our technology and then lay back to watch the Russians take the lead...again. Leadership we don't have anymore. That left with our last administrator AND President.

The US will lose the ability to put man in space for the first time. It is a tragedy of national proportions that is not getting enough visibility.

Actually... we didn't have the ability to put man in space between 1975 and 1981.

Actually... we didn't have the ability to put man in space between 1975 and 1981.

True. However that was not really going to be the case. When Apollo 18,19 and 20 (that were scheduled to fly but didn't) were scrubbed, that stopped the wholesale layoffs and lengthened the fly interval.

That was just a handful of years after Apollo before Shuttle. We are now talking of what, a 15 year or more gap?

Obama is about to layoff over 5000 of your best and brightest. And during a piss poor economy to boot.

Shuttle has been on the road to ending in 2010 since 2004. Layoffs have been anticipated since before the current president. Reliance on the Russians has been debated for awhile.

I wish we had a better-defined space policy, but it's unreasonable to place blame layoffs and lack of access to space in one place. And that means either the previous or the current president (or the folks who conceived of this magnificent, and magnificently complicated and expensive, shuttle). It's a learning process, and if we assume that every step we take is in the right direction, then we're not willing to learn.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

> Alas, we give away our technology and then lay back to watch the
>Russians take the lead...again.

I don't really care who's "in the lead." What we do is more important than who we are beating.

>That left with our last administrator AND President.

Our last NASA administrator ended the Shuttle program.

Shuttle has been on the road to ending in 2010 since 2004. Layoffs have been anticipated since before the current president. Reliance on the Russians has been debated for awhile.

I wish we had a better-defined space policy, but it's unreasonable to place blame layoffs and lack of access to space in one place. And that means either the previous or the current president (or the folks who conceived of this magnificent, and magnificently complicated and expensive, shuttle). It's a learning process, and if we assume that every step we take is in the right direction, then we're not willing to learn.

Wendy P.

I think a few people are forgetting one thing here... while W might have proposed some grandiose pie above the sky it seems it was never funded.

I seem to remember a quote attributed to Gus Grissom " No bucks, No Buck Rogers"

Wendy P.

I too wish there was a more defined policy (and stronger too).

Frankly, I lay accountability across the board for this. Every state in the Union benefits to one measure or another by the Space program (California and Texas in particular). With the knowledge of when the shuttle program would be ending I blame the whole lot for not maintaining a priority to have a replacement program developed and ready to rock-n-roll in time for the shuttle's retirement. We've known for what? At least ten years.

With all the research and development that's been done over decades past, there certainly was enough knowledge in place to complete the task. There was a lack of leadership, and there was a lack of initiative at NASA to keep hammering at the door until somebody sh*t or got off the pot. There was a lack of pressure from the governors whose economies will now suffer further as the shuttle retires and we see thousands of layoffs in the process.

We have no one to blame but ourselves. In allowing our society to not see the US as being at the forefront of achievement, we've lapsed and allowed "good enough" to suffice. We will see a brain drain and the space program will not recover from this until someone with some serious balls steps in and rights this ship.
>:(
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Honestly, I don't think you're paying attention to what they're doing.

I think it's entirely possible that NASA, in changing their mission from Moon focused to asteroids is a far better use of resources and especially when you consider the possibilities of life and death on the planet.

Never mind. It's not worth the effort, my effort. There are always two sides of a coin. I agree to disagree.

We are losing by the hundreds some of the best brain talent America has to offer. Where are they going you ask?

To NBC on Tuesdays and Wednesdays...9pm.

...and you're right...they lost their brains!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...