JohnRich

California: Gun Registration

Don't you think it would be handy to KNOW that the new FELON has a gun, and what it is?

nonsense - Kennedy had it right. License the individual to keep arms, don't make them list everything they own. It's simpler.

If the individual commits a felony, then prosecute them. Then, (in Kallend's world), the new FELON will voluntarily (and happily, BTW) provide a list of all his guns and turn them in, or sell them to a legally licensed citizen, the moment the license is revoked.

since you trust felons to follow obscure laws, this will work flawlessly

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Don't you think it would be handy to KNOW that the new FELON has a gun, and what it is?

The police should approach every felon as if they might be armed, regardless of whether or not their name is in some gun registry. Having their name in a gun registry is not cause for police to be more cautious, nor is the lack of an entry in a gun registry a good excuse for them to be less cautious. So, in the end, the gun registry changes nothing, and accomplishes nothing.

so you agree that gun registries are all about confiscation then.

So you think FELONS should be allowed to keep their guns, then.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The police should approach every felon as if they might be armed, regardless of whether or not their name is in some gun registry.

Agreed. It would also be nice to know that said FELON had any (previously legal) guns hidden away.

nonsense - Kennedy had it right. License the individual to keep arms, don't make them list everything they own. It's simpler.

If the individual commits a felony, then prosecute them. Then, (in Kallend's world), the new FELON will voluntarily (and happily, BTW) provide a list of all his guns and turn them in, or sell them to a legally licensed citizen, the moment the license is revoked.

Whoosh. Nice way to miss the point.

The police should approach every felon as if they might be armed, regardless of whether or not their name is in some gun registry.

Agreed. It would also be nice to know that said FELON had any (previously legal) guns hidden away.

It makes no difference - they should still approach him as if he does.

you are just upset because your personal logic in requiring registration back fires under every critical look

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Of course it makes a difference. He may be out of prison in 6 months and just goes to pick up his stash of guns.

you are just upset because your personal logic in requiring registration back fires under every critical look

I haven't seen a CRITICAL look yet.:P

In a society in which everyone has a gun collection, it's not just the FELONS that the police would approach in this manner.

I think felons should not be sold guns. I think felons are already not allowed to possess firearms.

You are seeming to imply that once someone becomes a felon (my caps lock key isn't stuck) that the police should come confiscate their weapons. Is that correct? I may have inferred incorrectly.
--
Rob

correct. If you've ever dealt with the cops, you might have noticed they asked you to keeps your hands where they could see them. sometimes they'll ask you to get out of the vehicle and stand where you can be seen when they call in your license.

I have been asked to do these things, and I have a "good guy card" (a concealed handgun license). So they know how unlikely it is that I would attack them. But they follow procedure and are careful.
--
Rob

I think felons should not be sold guns. I think felons are already not allowed to possess firearms.

You are seeming to imply that once someone becomes a felon (my caps lock key isn't stuck) that the police should come confiscate their weapons. Is that correct? I may have inferred incorrectly.

You are seeming to imply that it's OK for FELONS to have gun collections but not OK for them to purchase guns legally.

The guns should be impounded.
The term "confiscation" implies taking without compensation. I'm not implying that unless a court orders it (like it orders confiscation of vehicles used in crimes etc).

You are seeming to imply that it's OK for FELONS to have gun collections but not OK for them to purchase guns legally.

well, as you quoted me saying (I assumed you read it, I assumed poorly) "I think felons are already not allowed to possess firearms." I don't disagree with that law, and I don't see how you could have inferred that from my post. It's illegal for felons (my caps lock still isn't stuck) to own or otherwise possess firearms. I'm good with that. Should we send the swat team (or their probation officer) to go inspect their homes to ensure they have no firearms? We can... Probation officers in most states have the right to drop in unannounced.
--
Rob

Would you confiscate these illegally held guns in your home town of Chicago?

See here: http://www.examiner.com/x-2581-St-Louis-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d9-Score-Chicago-illegal-gun-owners-3-bad-guys-0

I'm not going to click on that link until you explain in detail what it is about.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

See here: http://www.examiner.com/x-2581-St-Louis-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d9-Score-Chicago-illegal-gun-owners-3-bad-guys-0

I'm not going to click on that link until you explain in detail what it is about.

Hint: It's about illegally held guns in Chicago.

It needs to be a Lot more descriptive.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

There are two false premises in your post. Fix them and I'll respond.:)

I figured you would weasel out of answering that question. I realize it's a tough one for you. On the one hand, you would have to stick to your idea of confiscating illegal guns, which in these three cases would clearly be taking them away from good guys who used them only for self defense. And on the other hand, if you claim they shouldn't be confiscated, then you would sound pro-gun, and by gosh, you sure can't bring yourself to do that. So I know the answer presents a terrible dilemma for you.

I figured you would weasel out of answering that question. I realize it's a tough one for you. On the one hand, you would have to stick to your idea of confiscating illegal guns, which in these three cases would clearly be taking them away from good guys who used them only for self defense. And on the other hand, if you claim they shouldn't be confiscated, then you would sound pro-gun, and by gosh, you sure can't bring yourself to do that. So I know the answer presents a terrible dilemma for you.

+1

Do you believe law enforcement officers should impound the firearms used in the thee incidents John offered?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

It needs to be a Lot more descriptive.

If you need more information than that to decide whether or not you should read it, then I recommend you just skip it.