regulator

North Korea warns it will meet war with 'all out war'

I think this is a delicate issue that could unfortunately result in some form of action from the US. I hope not.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- North Korea reacted to a South Korean anti-submarine exercise early Thursday by saying it would meet "confrontation with confrontation" and war with "all-out war," according to North Korean state-run media.

"Now that the puppet group challenged the DPRK [North Korea] formally and blatantly, the DPRK will react to confrontation with confrontation, and to a war with an all-out war," according the KCNA news agency.

The news agency referred to South Korean leaders as a "group of traitors" and said they would experience "unheard of disastrous consequences" if they misunderstand North Korea's will.

The response comes amid high tensions on the Korean peninsula, after Seoul blamed Pyongyang for the sinking in March of a South Korean warship. An official South Korean report has accused the communist North of firing a torpedo at the ship, killing 46 sailors.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, visiting Seoul on Wednesday, called the sinking "an unacceptable provocation by North Korea" and said the international community should respond.
Video: Clinton: Ship attack 'unacceptable'
RELATED TOPICS

* North Korea
* South Korea

Also Thursday, the general staff of North Korea's military -- the Korean People's Army, or KPA -- said it was enacting new measures to deal with any "all-out confrontation."

The steps would "retract all measures for providing military guarantees for the North-South cooperation and exchange, and the promise of a physical strike.

"The KPA will make a prompt physical strike at the intrusion into the extension of the Military Demarcation Line under our side's control in the West Sea of Korea," the army said, according to the KCNA news agency.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/north.korea.south.korea.warning/index.html?hpt=T2

I am asking without any kind of cynicism, but really because I don't know:

What kind of force does North Korea actually have to back up those threats? Occasionally there's the missile tests and stuff, and rhetoric about developing nukes, but what actual capacity for conflict do they have?

What kind of force does North Korea actually have to back up those threats? Occasionally there's the missile tests and stuff, and rhetoric about developing nukes, but what actual capacity for conflict do they have?

DPRK has a large Army. Up to 1M strong. It's effectiveness is largely seen as limited though due to factors that there isn't enough infrastructure to keep it going beyond a couple few days (in an all-out offensive). More troublesome than that though, is that there are literally thousands of artillery rockets and long range shells aimed at Seoul, which could wreak havoc for sure.

The south has the ability to blow out all the DMZ mountain passes and tunnels, so a land confrontation would face some significant obstacles, ones that many think DPRK's army could not overcome.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

DPRK has a large Army. Up to 1M strong. It's effectiveness is largely seen as limited though due to factors that there isn't enough infrastructure to keep it going beyond a couple few days (in an all-out offensive). More troublesome than that though, is that there are literally thousands of artillery rockets and long range shells aimed at Seoul, which could wreak havoc for sure.

The south has the ability to blow out all the DMZ mountain passes and tunnels, so a land confrontation would face some significant obstacles, ones that many think DPRK's army could not overcome.

Thanks for the reply.

So in essence, for South Korea, the key would be to just hold out those first few days, really. Obviously, not trying to trivialize any sort of conflict that leads to destruction - but I wanted to know if it was going to be something like you mentioned, or a real possibility that South Korea could fall.

Thanks for the reply.

So in essence, for South Korea, the key would be to just hold out those first few days, really. Obviously, not trying to trivialize any sort of conflict that leads to destruction - but I wanted to know if it was going to be something like you mentioned, or a real possibility that South Korea could fall.

The ROK Army is pretty impressive. Between them, and the US 2nd ID, DPRK wouldn't get far. I'm speaking strictly in the conventional sense, I don't know how "deliverable" their nukes are.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yikes - they're starting to sound like us.

Yes, we are exactly like North Korea.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yikes - they're starting to sound like us.

Yes, we are exactly like North Korea.

Yep. Think about China. They keep North Korea alive.

:|

just like us (and Europe too) - so much in common.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

When I was stationed in Japan, we would get put on alert because of North Korea's saber-rattling, in the winter. The reason for a winter attack is that their tanks and vehicles can travel freely across frozen ground, that is otherwise rice paddy bogs in the summer that are impassable.

If the North attacked, they might push far in a couple of days, but then they'll fall apart with any kind of sustained war. U.S. troops in Japan would respond quickly to reinforce. Recall that in the Korean war they pushed as far south as Pusan, before the tide turned and they were thrown all the way back.

South Korea is much more prepared now for such an attack. They have been virtually still at war every since. When you fly into their public commercial airfields, you see anti-aircraft batteries ringing the perimeter. When I was there in the 70's, they even had a midnight curfew, and anyone running around loose at night was considered a Northern infiltrator. The South takes their defense seriously.