AndyBoyd

Bullying and suicide

As bad as it is, it is a reflection of morals in the general society. How often do we see threads on here about how poor people just need to go and get a job, how the weak just need to toughen up or get the fuck out of the way.

The mindest of a bully is really no different.

Well, since your talking morals I think it would be appropriate to use the ultimate example of morality (God) since the only moral without a creator is survival of the fittest. Here is what God says: 2 Thes. 3:10For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 11For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. 12Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

>The only things bullies like that respect is when you grab one of
>them and smash her pretty face into a locker as hard as you can.

So I have to ask -

If someone didn't like the way you were behaving, and they tried that, how many times would it take for you to respect them?

>The only things bullies like that respect is when you grab one of
>them and smash her pretty face into a locker as hard as you can.

So I have to ask -

If someone didn't like the way you were behaving, and they tried that, how many times would it take for you to respect them?

Why Bill.. are you feelin a little spunky:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You have not given me a real warming in quite a while ya know;););)

Update to an old thread: nine students involved in the bullying that lead to Phoebe Prince's suicide have been charged with crimes, including stalking and criminal harassment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001376-504083.html

Everyone seems to agree that bullying is a bad thing. The question is, does severe bullying rise to the level of a criminal offense? Do these kids deserve to have a criminal record that will follow them for the rest of their lives, and maybe even go to prison over this? My instinct is to say yes, this is what they deserve. Curious as to what other folks might think.

Everyone seems to agree that bullying is a bad thing. The question is, does severe bullying rise to the level of a criminal offense?

Although they're not usually enforced against children, assault statutes don't have a minimum age.

Do these kids deserve to have a criminal record that will follow them for the rest of their lives,

Juvenile criminal records can be sealed.

and maybe even go to prison over this?

If that's what it takes.

Update to an old thread: nine students involved in the bullying that lead to Phoebe Prince's suicide have been charged with crimes, including stalking and criminal harassment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001376-504083.html

Everyone seems to agree that bullying is a bad thing. The question is, does severe bullying rise to the level of a criminal offense? Do these kids deserve to have a criminal record that will follow them for the rest of their lives, and maybe even go to prison over this? My instinct is to say yes, this is what they deserve. Curious as to what other folks might think.

Hey, if the bullying was just in the form of verbal abuse - 'surely' your 1st ammendment says that is within the ir rights to say what every they like .... If so, what crime has been commited.. and if one has then does that apply to the dick-heads that disrupted a funeral of a miltary man?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

There are many examples where it is in fact illegal to verbally abuse someone and these examples are not protected by the first amendment. (Slander, defamation of character, etc)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Everyone seems to agree that bullying is a bad thing. The question is, does severe bullying rise to the level of a criminal offense?

Bullying is common in every school.

I think that the primary step should be isolation.
A small group of bullies can affect the lives and mental health of many. There is no plausible reason why 50 kids
should live a life of hell at the hands of 4, for 4 years of high school.

It affects their ability to get a quality education.
The school system efforts are wasted.

The First Amendment does not cover every conceivable form of speech, as another poster has pointed out. Threatening or harassing speech can cross the line into criminality. The question is, should a bunch of kids be held criminally responsible for behavior that goes on in every school in the USA? It seems these kids went way over the line. But the fact that most of them are being charged as adults means those arrests are on their record forever, even if they are ultimatelty acquitted.

" ... There is no plausible reason why 50 kids
should live a life of hell at the hands of 4, for 4 years of high school.

It affects their ability to get a quality education.
The school system efforts are wasted.

..."

Welcome to my world.

My high school years were wasted, because I could not concentrate on studying, because bullies were a far greater influence on my life than anything said by any teacher.

I did not learn how to study until I returned to university at age 30.

Rob Warner
Bachelor of Arts

" ... If one adult treated another adult the way some kids get treated by bullies, the adult would be arrested for assault!

Yet when a kid gets assaulted, it's considered no big deal, and little or nothing happens to the criminal! ..."

It is weird how different standards apply whether the physical assault comes from a child or an adult.
Throughout elementary school and high school, I complained about bullies beating me up and breaking my glasses, but never heard of them being disciplined.
However, standards are tougher for adult bullies. For example, the first time a bully physically assaulted me at work, I complained to the company owner about "physical assault, sexual harassment", he said that he would "talk" with the bully. I never did hear what the boss said, but the physical harassment stopped.
The second time he said: "I will knock you out!" He got suspended (from work) for ten days.

Why are standards different for juvenile bullies?

:(very sad story. I think school age bullies should put up with the consequences dealt to them. In most states if you are over 12 years old you can be waived into adult court. It is the attitude of " oh well, they are just kids" that breed major criminals and serial killers and why? Because certain groups of people WANT to condone that behavior.
And yes, I do believe that some people are just plain fucking evil. If you doubt that go become a prison guard in a maximum security prison and walk the tiers. I bet a lot of them inmates in for mass murder and rape were school bullies too!
" Mean people SUCK!"

Why are standards different for juvenile bullies?

I think part of it is that we tend to see juveniles as less responsible for their actions than adults due to lack of social/emotional/psychological maturity. And I think part of it is the fact that they're kids with their entire future ahead of them, and nobody wants to ruin that by punishing them severely for something they did as "kids".

What keeps me from becoming completely cynical regarding this world we live in is the simple belief in "what goes around comes around" we may never get to see it, and therefore gain no personal satisfaction, but that simple belief sure helps me get to sleep at night.

BTW. I grew up a small kid, but learned in hurry not to take any crap from anyone. Life woulda been really tough otherwise. Got beat up a few times, but the bullying ended when said bullies realised there was gonna be a pretty rough fight. It stopped being fun for them when they were getting stitched up too.

Guilt, denial, too busy to give a shit, or don't give damn! We like to claim we're all a product of society, but actually we're products of ourselves ! A great deal of the time, it's adults who initially rob kids of their innocence. Whether it's by role modeling, or lack of it, abandonment, neglect & abuse, disconcerning themselves from them, selfishness, OVER INDULGING them. It's no pyschological mystery, some kids are known to take whatever 'excuse' they want to gain control. But, there comes a time to recognize it, change the cycle, and be accountable; regardless, to what dysfunction of exposure there has been. If parenting, & guidance falls short, pull your damn pants up & man up to your actions, or society HAS to step up. If they're old enough to know better, nail 'em. If they aren't, teach 'em ! Unfortunately, some are just predators by nature. They need to be 'caged' like the pack of wild dogs, they are. These cycles have to stop now, otherwise what kind of society will EVERYONE be conforming to in the real near future?
EVIL is real, deal with them here, & now. If they are truly evil ( which sounds like they are ), they'll also be dealt with, hereafter.