JohnRich

Best defense against attack: A gun, or a whistle?

News:
Gun-banning Illinois town issues whistles to citizens.

While the Illinois State Police have promised a "comprehensive review" of their website, including its advice that women protect themselves from sexual assault by avoiding gun ownership and vomiting on their assailants, last week brought more news of non-serious, symbolic approaches to self-defense in Illinois, as the Chicago Tribune reported that Chicago suburb Oak Park had begun issuing whistles to its citizens. In a move that promises to deter the town's notorious armed robbers as thoroughly as loud car alarms deter car thieves, Oak Park police officers waited for returning commuters on train platforms and gave out small whistles engraved with the name of the program's corporate sponsor. Oak Park officials say the whistles will help residents deal with the increasing incidence of armed robbery and street crime in the handgun-free town by allowing them to summon help...
Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-17034-Chicago-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m12d15-Gunbanning-Illinois-town-issues-whistles-to-citizens

Those wacky Illinoisians.

I once 'shot' a guy with a whistle. Cut up the back of his hand pretty bad. I suspect he needed a bandaid.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

On the other hand, a whistle is much lighter to carry. Though it looks silly in a holster.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If I had to choose a noise-maker, I'd go with those hand-held foghorn blasters. Easier to hear for most people. There are a lot more people with high frequency deafness than you think.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If I had to choose a noise-maker, I'd go with those hand-held foghorn blasters. Easier to hear for most people. There are a lot more people with high frequency deafness than you think.

Hand held noise maker attached...

http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/High-Standard-1911.jpg
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

So if someone is being held at gunpoint, they're supposed to blow a whistle?

What's the first reaction of the gunman going to be? I'm guessing to stop the person from blowing the whistle.

The fact that they're holding a gun is probably going to make that a pretty easy and convenient task. :S

No shit, are there really 4 people who would rather have a whistle??? I know lot's of people have never held a gun and might be scared but if you are being attacked you really rather have a WHISTLE
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little