skyrider

The reason for the season

>>The Bible also speaks out about male bisexuality homosexuality (Leviticus
>>18:22, 20:13), so what conclusions are we to draw? Shocked

>You misread the Scripture.

Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."

Revelation 14:3-5 "They sang as it were a new song before the throne, before the four living creatures, and the elders; and no one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who were redeemed from the earth. These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no deceit, for they are without fault before the throne of God."

I'd love to see the "correct" interpretation of those.

That kind of interpretation do you need for the one in Leviticus? Its pretty clear what it means... Homosexuality=wrong.. Now the revelations one.. Im not to clear on. In all honesty, I dont understand it. That would be a question for my pastor! :)
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

>That kind of interpretation do you need for the one in Leviticus? Its
>pretty clear what it means... Homosexuality=wrong.

Not just that; they must be killed. It makes that point pretty clearly.

>Now the revelations one.. Im not to clear on. In all honesty, I dont
>understand it.

I don't think anyone really does. Jesus as a dead, decaying lamb with seven eyes and seven horns? Locusts with scorpion's tails, human faces, women's hair and little tiny golden crowns on each of their heads, sent to torture men for five months?

I think that's best read as a poem written about the end of the world by someone whose mental state was a little altered.

Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."

Revelation 14:3-5 "They sang as it were a new song before the throne, before the four living creatures, and the elders; and no one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who were redeemed from the earth. These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no deceit, for they are without fault before the throne of God."

That kind of interpretation do you need for the one in Leviticus? Its pretty clear what it means... Homosexuality=wrong.. Now the revelations one.. Im not to clear on. In all honesty, I dont understand it. That would be a question for my pastor! :)

If you want to base your life on the prohibitions and laws as found in Leviticus.. you will need a HELL of a lot of rocks to stone ALL your neighbors to death.

Actually, Leviticus appears to address bisexuality. If a gay man lies with men only (ie, does not lie with men like he does with women) one could argue that that passage does not apply. That's if one wanted to be all logical with the bible and stuff.
Remster

Revaltions is a book that i dont think we will truly understand until Christ comes back! I dont worry about it too much, cause im gone when the rapture happens!! :ph34r::)
So I will watch from Heaven and see what happens...

About the stoning to death... laying with a man=sin
wages of sin=death... Good thing Christ came, and He took the death that we deserve on His back, for thoughs that would come to repentance. :)

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Actually, Leviticus appears to address bisexuality. If a gay man lies with men only (ie, does not lie with men like he does with women) one could argue that that passage does not apply. That's if one wanted to be all logical with the bible and stuff.

Thats a dumb interpretation of it. it says throughout the Bible that Homosexuality is wrong...

He wasnt admant about that.. He said He doesnt know, only the Father knows! The apostales all thought it was going to be during thier time. They were wrong. Will it be in our time? Maybe.. I hope not till I am old. But i will be joyful whenever it happens! :)

Thats a dumb interpretation of it. it says throughout the Bible that Homosexuality is wrong...

You're quite right. Applying logic to the bible is dumb.
Remster

>He wasnt admant about that.. He said He doesnt know, only the
>Father knows!

He sounded pretty certain.

Matthew 24:

===========
Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. "Do you see all these things?" he asked. "I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

. . .

(Jesus said)

Immediately after the distress of those days
" 'the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.'

At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
============

Sounds pretty clear. It would happen shortly after the beginning of summer, and certainly before "this generation" passed away.

You can't say Merry Christmas. It's offensive. You're supposed to say happy holidays.... because the holidays just evolved out of nowhere. $20 says the majority of atheists take Dec 25th off work.

No, the holidays evolved out of Saturnalia. The tradition of bringing trees indoors is a winter solstice celebration of pagan Germanic origin.

I find it funny - and a little odd - that the athiests know more about religious holidays than many of the believers do.

Why find it Odd? I find Most Athiest to be well educated, or very well self educated, and they formed their opinions about religion's only after study, Not on a knee jerk reaction!

>He wasnt admant about that.. He said He doesnt know, only the
>Father knows!

He sounded pretty certain.

Matthew 24:

===========
Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. "Do you see all these things?" he asked. "I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

( Ok.. He said that the building would be gone.. and I am sure it is now)

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

. . .

(Jesus said)

Immediately after the distress of those days
" 'the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.'

At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
============

Sounds pretty clear. It would happen shortly after the beginning of summer, and certainly before "this generation" passed away.

No, what He is saying is these things will happen before He comes. Doesnt say He will come right after they happen.. He even goes to say there will be wars, and rumors of wars..

Do you HONESTLY think that if it could be PROVEN Christ was wrong, that Christianity would still be here!
That THOUSANDS went to thier death claming the name of Christ in Romes day!!! They knew the truth, and proclaimed it, and lost thier life for it...

>No, what He is saying is these things will happen before He comes.

That's what you are saying. He isn't mentioning his own second coming - he is answering their question concerning when the end of the world will come, and he tells them that it will happen shortly after the end of summer, and certainly before their generation passes away.

So unless anyone alive around 33AD is still alive, it must have already happened (according to Jesus.)

>Do you HONESTLY think that if it could be PROVEN Christ was wrong,
>that Christianity would still be here!

Uh, yeah. Tens of thousands of scholars would be employed to explain thusly:

"yes, you see, it sounds like he is wrong to a layman, but when we explain the 'fig tree' as an allegory for 'the tree of life' and 'your generation' as 'all humanity' it all makes sense. Similar to how those 'six days' turned into 'millions of years.' "

But in most cases they don't even need to do that. Most Christians do not read the Bible, and know at best a few quotes hand-picked by their priests and ministers.

>That THOUSANDS went to thier death claming the name of Christ
>in Romes day!!! They knew the truth, and proclaimed it, and lost thier life
>for it...

Right. It happens today for Muslims. Doesn't mean they're any more right (or wrong) than Christians.

You can't say Merry Christmas. It's offensive. You're supposed to say happy holidays.... because the holidays just evolved out of nowhere. $20 says the majority of atheists take Dec 25th off work.

No, the holidays evolved out of Saturnalia. The tradition of bringing trees indoors is a winter solstice celebration of pagan Germanic origin.

I find it funny - and a little odd - that the athiests know more about religious holidays than many of the believers do.

Maybe it has something to do with valuing facts over dogma.

Assuming your "facts" are correct.;)

That's kinda the point. Do your research properly and you wont need to assume.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Maybe it has something to do with valuing facts over dogma.

Assuming your "facts" are correct.;)

That's kinda the point. Do your research properly and you wont need to assume.

Wow, that's deep. You must be a consultant.:ph34r:
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It looks as if people are getting off track as far as the spirit of God is concerned. I cant find the scripture, but it does say that arguing about stuff like this is fruitless (of course not in those words!) Fruitless nonetheless. So, what have we determined about all this? This is wrong, that is wrong, and living a particular way is the only way to God? Well, this is not the message of the Gospel at all. This is what the Pharisees and the Saducees believed, and the reason they could not recognize the spirit behind the words with which they so fervently "obeyed"

Lets start by asking ourselves who did Jesus turn away? Did he turn away the one who denied him 3 times, or the Adulteress, or the sinful Mary Magdalene, or the countless numbers of sinners who came to hear his message? Did Jesus turn anyone away? Scripture leads us to believe that his greatest testimony of judgement was not against the sinner at all, it was against the hypocrite. So, as a follower of Christ what should we focus on? What is right or what is wrong, or should we focus on the God given spirit to love everyone?

If any of you read John 16, you'll see that there is only a righteousness that is by faith, and of course, any place in the epistles (Romans, Corin.. Thess) it is the same. And I couldnt find the scriptures, but there is a verse that says something like "we layed no stone in your path so that our message would remain pure in your hearts"... and again, "see, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall". What is a stumbling stone??? Is it sin itself? OR, is it the message that Jesus spoke that reveals there is no righteousness through works, or even strength. Rather, righteousness is by grace and grace alone. We are allowed to come to God, not because we deserve to, but because Christ does.

It has been said repeatedly in these forums that changing something, or stopping sin (which the bible says are thoughts as well) is NOT the goal of faith. The goal of faith is to desire God through understanding his desire for us. By the nature of Gods grace, none who have known it will still desire to sin, yet all are sinners (If in fact all have sinned). I have found that no matter how much I desire not to sin, I cannot carry out that desire fully. So, what are we left with? A weak man who relys on the strength of Gods love for life. The one who refutes this will need to examine himself/herself for the seed of hypocrisy.

So, Homosexuality is wrong, sex is wrong, adultery is wrong, impure thoughts are wrong, not obeying the sabbath is wrong, stealing is wrong, killing is wrong, speaking bad against his brother, dishonoring mother and father,... used to be eating with unwashed hands, eating certain foods, all sorts of things were used to raise questions of conscience... I for one see a pattern, everything is wrong and most things in our lives are bad, as they relate to the perfect Father of creation, except one thing... love. Our "job" as "servants" of the Lord is to practice love. How is it to Gods glory to condemn everything in everyone? The condemnation for sin is death, the one who condemns beyond death, stands in condemnation as well. Condemning homosexuality as wrong keeps people from the truth in Christ. They are these: "Woe to you teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of Heaven in mens faces. You yourself do not enter, nor will let those enter who are trying to."

BTW, I am not calling anyone a hypocrite, just presenting the warning as Christ does.
"We didn't start the fire"

But in most cases they don't even need to do that. Most Christians do not read the Bible, and know at best a few quotes hand-picked by their priests and ministers.

Well shucks, either Jesus is a liar or your word bite interpretation of the Bible is incorrect. Those who reject God never seem to need much to justify their decision.

About the stoning to death... laying with a man=sin
wages of sin=death... Good thing Christ came, and He took the death that we deserve on His back, for thoughs that would come to repentance. :)

According to Dr. Tony Compolo, the only reason for Christmas is Easter. When looking at the life of Jesus Christ of Nazareth it is not His birth that is important. The emphasis is on His death. That was His sole purpose for incarnation.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Leviticus 20:13 (New American Standard Bible)

13'(A)If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

The NAS seems to compare one to many. Therefore, both males have committed an abomination.

In regard to Rev 14:3-5, I'm not clear on your point. This Scripture refers to the 12,000 from each of the 12 Tribes of Israel. The prophecy indicates they will be virgins, Ergo, no sexual experience. Jesus Christ of Nazareth is their first and only love. It is a spiritually committed relationship and therefore not physical. That is how I read it.

Either your God is omnipotent and omniscient, or not. Either the Bible is the revealed word of God, or it isn't. You can't have it both ways.

I am unclear as to why the revealed word of an omniscient omnipotent god would be so open to misinterpretations, mistranslations, contradictions and disagreements even among the believers in said god.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Well shucks, either Jesus is a liar or your word bite interpretation of the
>Bible is incorrect.

Or:

Jesus was telling what people in his time would hear as the truth, not necessarily what people 2000 years later would hear as the truth.

Or:

During the long oral tradition, transcription and translation process that got us the Bible of today, a few errors/misunderstandings crept in.

Or:

The religions that controlled translation and dissemination of the Bible were not unbiased, and may have inserted/altered a few things that gave them more power.

Or:

Literal translation of the Bible into a history or a science book is a foolish endeavor.

Take your pick.

>Those who reject God never seem to need much to justify their decision.

Sadly, those who accept God often have even less. All too often, casual religious faith is based on ignorance.

I am unclear as to why the revealed word of an omniscient omnipotent god would be so open to misinterpretations, mistranslations, contradictions and disagreements even among the believers in said god.

Because the Word is not revealed to everyone...

"At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure."

The revelations in Christ are for the humble in heart.

Sadly, those who accept God often have even less. All too often, casual religious faith is based on ignorance.

I agree with this and can tell it was written with sensativity, but Jesus speaks of casual religious faith all throughout the Gospel, so its no secret to me at least. He says to practice what he preaches, and your comment before seems true enough, that people dont understand who/what Christ is because they dont know what he preached in the first place. But, none of that has an impact on the truth itself which was sealed in its own blood. People can say whatever they like unfortunately, but no one can un-crucify Jesus. We cant look into the deeper revelations of the spirit of God without grace.

I know you have reserves as to the continuity of the bible being correctly transcribed throughout the ages, and either it is radically altered, or its not, but it doesnt change the fact that the lessons given to us in Christ are lessons in love. A man can spend a lifetime convinced that he is "going to heaven" based on what he has studied and learned, but if love is not understood and practiced, then the main theme of the Word of God was sadly missed.

"At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure."

The revelations in Christ are for the humble in heart.

Yes, just as fossils "ostensibly" millions of years old were actually seeded by God 5,000 years ago to test our faith. [:/]

BTW, I know plenty of humble atheists, just as I know plenty of arrogant yet devout theists. Nobody has a corner on the market of either attribute.

Just to the elite, like you, eh? And the other so-called "Christians" who have different interpretations from yours are simply heretics.

God job the church has given up on burnings at the stake.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just to the elite, like you, eh? And the other so-called "Christians" who have different interpretations from yours are simply heretics.

God job the church has given up on burnings at the stake.

Im afraid it seems that would be something you would say. Given your posts about beievers at least. So many of you seem to enjoy beating up on the meek. You can call me whatever you like, but what I have spoken on here is the truth as it is reflected in the Gospel. Its not mine, its Jesus'. Im not as interested in "convincing" people as you seem to think, but you are convinced that I am and therefore you trample my testimony as foolish nonsense. I cant help that, but what have you offered any of these conversations? Where is your heart? What do you believe? None of you have done anything but strengthen and sharpen what i believe in Christ. The truth continues to get clearer and clearer in my head, and if that makes me an "elite", i would hope that it is elite enough to transcend Gods love to others.

But you are sadly mistaken... I am not the elite. I am just a very gratefu,l poor, and weak man who is/has nothing without God.

I wonder what you wouldve said to some of the greatest examples of Christianity throughout history? As someone is feeding the poor in the name of Christ, your in the crowd using the same voice you use in here. I could be wrong, but your not showing me that to be honest.