Rstanley0312

College football and Congress... WTF

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4727426

I am a huge college football fan and want to see a playoff but WTF is congress doing getting involved. I agree with others sentiment that there is a whole lot more that needs attention.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

i would be a huge fan again if there was a playoff. FUCK the BCS and FUCK college football right now.

besides, it's all shady back door dealings anyway. I mean, isn't it CONVENIENT that the two scary mid-majors will be playing....EACH OTHER in a bowl? i mean, god fucking FORBID they have a change to play a "major" school. wonder how much money changed hands under the table to make that happen.

fuck, they can't even beat the "strength of schedule" argument in the postseason.

anyway, tbh, the way the system is now will probably never change without an act of congress, no matter how badly public opinion is against it. Not saying that congress should stick their nose in...i just am not sure there is another way.

this issue pisses me off, if you couldn't tell. it's what i get for being a fan of two different and respected mid-major programs, both of which continually get the shaft. Ugh, i'd rather watch pro for now.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Boise is lucky to get a BCS slot - they have a fairly cheap victory over Oregon and little else to show. Beating Oregon in October after they recovered from their graduating lines would have meant something.

It's TCU that was hurt by it. I expect them to beat up Boise, who has only the Oklahoma win against 4 other bowl losses in the last 5 years. And in a playoff, Boise gets killed in the next round where the Statue of Liberty play doesn't work.

The bill, which faces steep odds, would ban the promotion of a postseason NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision game as a national championship,....

Hell, they will just do what every other American sport does and promote it as the world championship of US college football.;)

I am a huge college football fan and want to see a playoff but WTF is congress doing getting involved. I agree with others sentiment that there is a whole lot more that needs attention.

What the fuck amendment gives Congress authority over how a college sporting tournament is organized?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

It is rather stupid for Congress to get involved here.

But there is a relatively easy solution(s) to the NCAA college football quagmire. First off implement an 8 team playoff where the National Championship game is played one week after new years, the semi-final games are played on new years and the quarter final games are played around Christmas. The NCAA can still use their full suite of other Bowl games, they will just be sacrificing 6 Bowl games to implement the 7 games needed for this playoff. After all should a 6-6 or 7-5 team really be playing a Bowl game? Besides the individual schools who really cares about many of the 25+ Bowl games.

Here are two possible easy solutions:

1) Take the best team from the SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 plus two wildcard teams for an 8 team playoff.

2) If people do not like the idea of using wild card teams, realign NCAA college football to use 8 conferences and invite the best teams from each conference to the playoff.

Of course solution #2 means re-aligning more than just football, it is a major realignment of NCAA conferences for all sports. So I still say having the 2 wild card teams is the easier of the 2 solutions. But the Big 10 and Pac 10 really should also start seriously thinking adding a conference championship game to their respective schedules.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

But there is a relatively easy solution(s) to the NCAA college football quagmire.

There's no quagmire, and there's nothing easy about your counter solution. Nor more definitive than what we already have.

"Besides the individual schools who really cares about many of the 25+ Bowl games. "

That's why the bowls exist - for the schools and the alumni.

I am saying sacrifice 6 Bowl games (heck add 6 new games if need be) to implement an 8 team playoff. The rest of the Bowl games can still be played as they are now. The crux of my solution in finding the 8 teams. 6 of those teams should be pretty obvious (best team from the SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10) ... but who are the other 2 teams? 2 wild card teams to allow the possibility for a Boise State or a TCU to make it when they have a good year? It's better than what exists now ... the present system is bias.

BTW ... while I am not a 'Bama fan, I am assuming they are going to roll all over TX the same way they rolled against FL. But then there is that nasty word "assume" ... don't assume anything otherwise you risk making an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'. :ph34r:

BTW ... while I am not a 'Bama fan, I am assuming they are going to roll all over TX the same way they rolled against FL. But then there is that nasty word "assume" ... don't assume anything otherwise you risk making an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'. :ph34r:

I wouldn't assume anything about either team, given the weakness of their conferences this year. More than most years, it would suggest a playoff would be a more accurate determinant.

But then the seedings become all that matter, and the bias problem hardly goes away. You've just traded one set of imperfections for another.

Just trying to propose an alternative to the present system. But since you think this idea is crap, I guess I should just shut the fuck up and crawl back under the snowy frozen rock from where I came from.

As Andrewwhyte already mentioned, the US loves to call themselves "World Champions" while they continue to only invite fellow "Americans" to their "World Championship" competitions.

What the fuck amendment gives Congress authority over how a college sporting tournament is organized?

The Interstate Commerce Clause:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 3:
“ [The Congress shall have power] To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;"

Basically, it's because so many teams have Native American names or mascots.
:)

My own feelings:
- BCS is full of shit; there should be a playoff system.
- This is none of Congress's damn business; and for them to use "interstate commerce" as an excuse to get their hands on something over which they wouldn't otherwise have jurisdiction is complete chickenshit. Legal? Yes, barely, but only because the federal courts act as Congress's enablers on shit like this.

Just trying to propose an alternative to the present system. But since you think this idea is crap, I guess I should just shut the fuck up and crawl back under the snowy frozen rock from where I came from.

That would be great!

Nice chip with the world champion bit. Totally irrelevant to this discussion, but if America Junior wants to whine about it some more, ok. But since the best football and basketball players in the world all come to the US, I don't object.

the trouble with your solution is the mid-majors are STILL left out.

what happens when 3, 4, 5 mid major schools are undefeated? who goes to the wild card slots?

if you say "base it on strength of schedule" then why the fuck change it, it's right back where we are now.

the whole point would be to get the big teams to actually play some of these mid-major schools, have them get their asses handed to them, to wake up the NCAA and show people that just because you belong to the Big 10 doesn't mean jack shit.

why only 8 teams? nothing says you can't have brackets like ncaa basketball, with several games being played on the same day. shorten the regular season to 8 games to allow an extra week or two for playoffs...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Nice chip with the world champion bit.

I can understand why it would grate a bit on non-Americans. Being an insufferable pedant myself, I've always kind of gone :S at the American tendency to over-use the term "world champions"; for example, the World Series. When teams from other countries, like those in Latin America and Asia (like these) where baseball is also popular, compete in the playoffs, then it will be fair to call the winner of the World Series "world champions". Until then, it's silly, and kind of arrogant.

Boise is lucky to get a BCS slot - they have a fairly cheap victory over Oregon and little else to show. Beating Oregon in October after they recovered from their graduating lines would have meant something.

It's TCU that was hurt by it. I expect them to beat up Boise, who has only the Oklahoma win against 4 other bowl losses in the last 5 years. And in a playoff, Boise gets killed in the next round where the Statue of Liberty play doesn't work.

Wow...nice excuse for Oregon not being ready for the season. You sound like Tito Ortiz after Forrest p'owned him. Boise State would have scored 300 more points this season IF they had scored 40-50 more touchdowns.

And IF my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Please - recover from graduating lines. Weaksauce. WTF you think spring camp and the summer is for?

Boise State has an outstanding program. Kellen Moore has the highest passer rating in the NCAA. I mean, have you ever watched a football game?

They used trick plays against OK because they were fuggin worn out and Zabranski was a mediocre QB. Which shouldn't matter - a TOP team like OK should be ready for anything right? What does it say about a program that fell for them? Hmmm?

TCU will be a challenge, but Boise State "lucky" to get a BCS slot? What excuse will you make for TCU if they get beat by Boise State?

[pinches bridge of nose - shakes head in pity]
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Wow...nice excuse for Oregon not being ready for the season. You sound like Tito Ortiz after Forrest p'owned him. Boise State would have scored 300 more points this season IF they had scored 40-50 more touchdowns.

I mean, have you ever watched a football game?

anyone who had a clue knew the Oregon had trouble coming in this season due to graduations, and was fairly amazed by how the lines solidified by the end of September. They struggled in all 3 of their OOC games.

That was Boise's only quality win, and it's not like they were lighting it up offensively either in that game.

TCU will be a challenge, but Boise State "lucky" to get a BCS slot? What excuse will you make for TCU if they get beat by Boise State?

Well, we saw what happened last year. TCU won. Just like everyone but Oklahoma one year. What excuse will you make if my prediction comes true? That they couldn't get up for the game, because they weren't playing a BCS conference opponent?

I can understand why it would grate a bit on non-Americans. Being an insufferable pedant myself, I've always kind of gone :S at the American tendency to over-use the term "world champions"; for example, the World Series. When teams from other countries, like those in Latin America and Asia (like these) where baseball is also popular, compete in the playoffs, then it will be fair to call the winner of the World Series "world champions". Until then, it's silly, and kind of arrogant.

The best players elsewhere come to play here. (with the general exception of Cuba)

I'LL say TCU was the better team, not blame it on some intangible like global warming...or trick plays being not fair, or not being prepared, or blah blah blah.

Boise State haters all sound the same...like Oklahomans.

And TCU won by 1 point last year. Yet you just call it a "W." Yet, when BSU wins by 1 point against OK - it's because they used trick plays. Your bias came through immediately, which is fine - just makes your argument lame.

Did I mention TCU won by 1 point? Oh, and that was against a freshman QB. Epic.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

The crux of my solution in finding the 8 teams. 6 of those teams should be pretty obvious (best team from the SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10) ...

no, because you still have the problem of thoise conferences being favored over the other conferences. the teams that play in the bcs bowls get a lot of money out of it. its highly unfair to not give every team an equal shot at the top games and the championship. if the teams are going to be classified in the same division, they need to have the same shot at the money.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

fuck the strength of schedule/cheap victory arguement. bsu can only play teams that agree to play them. if the powerhouse schools don't want the likes of bsu in the mix at the end of the season, then they need to play them and hand them a loss or shut the fuck up.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

fuck the strength of schedule/cheap victory arguement. bsu can only play teams that agree to play them. if the powerhouse schools don't want the likes of bsu in the mix at the end of the season, then they need to play them and hand them a loss or shut the fuck up.

Then they should win their bowls, not go 1-4.

I'LL say TCU was the better team, not blame it on some intangible like global warming...or trick plays being not fair, or not being prepared, or blah blah blah.

Boise State haters all sound the same...like Oklahomans.

And TCU won by 1 point last year. Yet you just call it a "W." Yet, when BSU wins by 1 point against OK - it's because they used trick plays. Your bias came through immediately, which is fine - just makes your argument lame.

Ouch - you're going to fall hard when they lose.

I didn't denegrate their win. I said that in a playoff situation, they're unlikely to repeat the upset the following game. Better for them to stick with the bowl system where they can live the glory forever. When a 12 seed beats a 5 seed at the basketball tourney, how long does anyone remember or care? About 1 week. A bowl upset lasts forever.

But let's review
2008 - lost to TCU 17-16. 12-0 record proven a sham
2007 - lost to directional Carolina, 41-38. Lost to terrible Washington team. No win of note
2006 - Beat Oklahoma 43-42 in very watchable game. Best season.
2005 - Lost to BC, 27-21. Bad followup on 2004.
2004 - lost to Louisville, 44-40. another perfect season tainted.