NewGuy2005

How to Ship a Gun

How do you ship a shotgun? FedEx? US Mail? UPS?

Some 15 years ago I shipped a sport rifle in pieces, in separate packages. I don't know if that would work today. Best to ask the professionals in the firearms business. The risk could be a costly one.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Some 15 years ago I shipped a sport rifle in pieces, in separate packages.

I'm curious, since I've never dealt with this. On a strictly practical level - meaning laws, company rules and risk of theft aside - what's to stop a person from doing exactly that, via a private carrier like UPS or FedEx, from one private person to another person's private residence? Presumably they don't open a well-sealed box for inspection. Do they x-ray it or anything?

Some 15 years ago I shipped a sport rifle in pieces, in separate packages.

Legally you can ship ANYTHING but the registered part.... Which is the receiver in most cases.

So I could take apart say a Glock and ship you everything but the frame.... I could take everything out of the frame to include the trigger pack.

The only thing I can't ship is the frame itself.

You also need to check your State laws since in some states you can ship INSIDE the State.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm curious, since I've never dealt with this. On a strictly practical level - meaning laws, company rules and risk of theft aside - what's to stop a person from doing exactly that, via a private carrier like UPS or FedEx, from one private person to another person's private residence? Presumably they don't open a well-sealed box for inspection. Do they x-ray it or anything?

Pretty much nothing PHYSICALLY stops a person from shipping whatever they want.

I can't go into too much detail, but most people get caught due to the paperwork. Using a stolen CC, paying cash a little too often to ship the same thing to the same address, shipping say from Al's Guns to individuals a little too often. At times a package does get damaged and has to be re-wrapped.

Drug dealers LOVE FedEx.... Till something happens and then they threaten to shoot up the place. :S

Presumably they don't open a well-sealed box for inspection. Do they x-ray it or anything?

Domestically, not unless they suspect something. International has an entirely different set of rules.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Shipped shotguns to myself for hunting trips and to others via USPS. I followed the instructions described in the gunbroker link and told the guy behind the counter what was in the box. What they don't tell you in any of the links is that you need to use that brown paper box tape to seal the box. This is what the post office guy told me and since he was the guy that was mailing it for me, I made sure I came back with my box sealed with the brown paper box tape. Break the shotgun down, pad it well so it doesn't rattle around in the box and send it registered mail.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've had to ship my 870 back to Remington twice. Both times it went by either USPS or UPS, totally within regulations and with full knowledge by those accepting the package what was being shipped.

Use an FFL if it makes you feel more comfortable and you have someone you care to use, but it's not necessary as it is with some other firearms.
Killing threads since 2004.

The law requires that you go through an FFL except in a few special cases. I use a friend who has an FFL. He charges $20 pluse shipping cost. I used to have my own, but the hassles just got to big during the Clinton years. And with me formerly having an FFL, I can't claim ignorance of the law.

Many people ship them with no problems. But the one method I would absolutely NOT use is the Post Office. Should your package get opened somehow, they seem the ones most likely to turn it into an official action. And if memory serves, there are much greater penalties associated with illegally using the US Post Office in general.
Tom B

Use an FFL if it makes you feel more comfortable and you have someone you care to use, but it's not necessary as it is with some other firearms.

Shipping to the manufacturer does not fall under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Shipping to yourself is allowed as well.

If you directly ship a firearm to someone else (A non-FFL) out of state, it is against federal law.

You can use all three depending on the situation

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

Note that while completely legal to ship firearms to yourself (no transfer has occurred) as of 2006 FedEx would not do it. Their written tariff says there has to be an FFLs on one end. Federal law makes it a felony to not declare firearms to common shippers so lying would be a felony.

OTOH, they do allow shipments to licensed collectors so you could theoretically use a C&R FFL to get around their silly rules.

With US mail unlicensed individuals can only mail long guns.