Belgian_Draft

Party Crashers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34157390/ns/politics-washington_post/

A couple of aspiring reality-TV stars from Northern Virginia appear to have crashed the White House’s state dinner Tuesday night, penetrating layers of security with no invitation to mingle with the likes of Vice President Biden and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.

Just offhand I would guess somebody working security that night got his/her arse ripped pretty darn good the next day. ;)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

A couple of aspiring reality-TV stars from Northern Virginia appear to have crashed the White House’s state dinner Tuesday night, penetrating layers of security with no invitation to mingle with the likes of Vice President Biden and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.

Just offhand I would guess somebody working security that night got his/her arse ripped pretty darn good the next day. ;)

Black eye for the Secret Service.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hard to believe you could get as fara s they did...even announced them.

The Salahis are a wealthy, polo horse owning couple from the genteel Virginia countryside. They know how to dress (she really was stunning), how to behave, and love a good party. In other words, they blended in perfectly with their surroundings.

I have read that they could face charges of trespassing, but I hope that doesn't happen. They went through all the security checkpoints, metal detectors, etc. for weapons and were in fact there to party at THE bash of the year and nothing more.

A valuable lesson to the Secret Service and a wonderful bit of fun for the rest of us. Goes to show you can get away with almost anything if you just do it with confidence.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Black eye for the Secret Service.

Indeed. It's also a black eye for the social office. The Secret Service would only conduct backgrounds on the list given them by the social office. The guards at the gate should have sequestered them until the social office had validated the names. Even people walking to the White House have an initial gate to go to, then usually one or two more before they even get in the house.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hard to believe you could get as fara s they did...even announced them.

The Salahis are a wealthy, polo horse owning couple from the genteel Virginia countryside. They know how to dress (she really was stunning), how to behave, and love a good party. In other words, they blended in perfectly with their surroundings.

I have read that they could face charges of trespassing, but I hope that doesn't happen. They went through all the security checkpoints, metal detectors, etc. for weapons and were in fact there to party at THE bash of the year and nothing more.

A valuable lesson to the Secret Service and a wonderful bit of fun for the rest of us. Goes to show you can get away with almost anything if you just do it with confidence.

Depending on what they told the security personel they could face many charges and i hope the feds throw the book at 'em if for no other reason than to disuade others from doing the same thing. Being wealthy, owning polo horses, knowing how to dress & act, and loving a good party does not exempt one from the law. (Ok, sometimes it does but it shouldn't).
HAMMER:

Depending on what they told the security personel they could face many charges and i hope the feds throw the book at 'em if for no other reason than to disuade others from doing the same thing. Being wealthy, owning polo horses, knowing how to dress & act, and loving a good party does not exempt one from the law. (Ok, sometimes it does but it shouldn't).

Not sure what crime translates to crashing a party.

But partying with the likes of Joe Biden? Color me uninterested.

I think it would make for bad politics and give the administration an unnecessary mean & petty image.

Best to just wipe the egg off their face and learn from this mistake. Besides, there IS a side to the American character that appreciates this kind of fooling around.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Not sure what crime translates to crashing a party.

But partying with the likes of Joe Biden? Color me uninterested.

I agree that if i were to crash a party I would make sure it were a lot more exciting than a State dinner.

The Secret Service is taking statements and looking at evidence to see if charges are in order. Specifically, in addition to trespassing, they could be charged under Federal law.

18 U.S.C. § 1001 provides that:
[w]hoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact, or makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or representations, or makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or entry, shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

HAMMER:

It is clearly not trespassing. The residents of the house had security who admitted them. If I were them I would insist that they were invited and they have no idea why they weren't on the list.

From all indications it all comes down to whether they were, as they claim, last minute invites and what they told the people working security that evening. If they did have an invite, problem solved. If they didn't have an invitation, and lied to the secret service, then trespassing is the least of their worries. I'm sure the Service will get to the bottom of the issue and handle it in an appropriate manner.
HAMMER:

What a good giggle... anyone thinking that they should be prosecuted needs to lighten up and get a life. .... The courts have got bigger fish to fry.

Call me anal, but if this couple did not have an invite and lied to gain access to the President as part of trying to get onto a reality show, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I see nothing entertaining or the least bit funny about it.
OTOH, if they did have an invite then the social office at the White House needs to review their procedures for making sure those who are invited are on the guest list.
HAMMER:

What a good giggle... anyone thinking that they should be prosecuted needs to lighten up and get a life. .... The courts have got bigger fish to fry.

Call me anal, but if this couple did not have an invite and lied to gain access to the President as part of trying to get onto a reality show, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I see nothing entertaining or the least bit funny about it.
OTOH, if they did have an invite then the social office at the White House needs to review their procedures for making sure those who are invited are on the guest list.

Bwahahahahaha - That's a giant gag.

And a giant disgrace for Security Service :ph34r::ph34r:

Why to prosecute those clowns which just showed the security vulnerability - in a very elegant way, thus far? B|

You said "... and [they] lied ..." ?? - there might have been other species trying to gain access, with weapons, f.e.??:|

If it's that easy just by lying, man - I'd be worried.

edited for typo

dudeist skydiver # 3105

We don't know if they lied. We also don't know for sure if they were invited.
Yes, it is a disgrace for the Service. But, like I've said, I don't find it the least bit funny. I also find it sick that anybody would.
HAMMER:

Hey, politics are based on lies so what's one more little one.... In the great scheme of things it's not at all important and a complete waste of column inches after the initial giggle.

With all of the real problems that your country (and the world has) - why worry ther little things?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hey, politics are based on lies so what's one more little one.... In the great scheme of things it's not at all important and a complete waste of column inches after the initial giggle.

With all of the real problems that your country (and the world has) - why worry ther little things?

Silly me, worrying about two people getting face-to-face with the President at a party they weren't supposedly weren't invited to and the (supposedly) took it upon themselves to fraudulently enter.
Yeah, what's the sense in worrying about the safety of the President?
HAMMER:

Silly me, worrying about two people getting face-to-face with the President at a party they weren't supposedly weren't invited to and the (supposedly) took it upon themselves to fraudulently enter.

What safety concern? I'm quite sure EVERY single guest, invited or not, was checked for weapons. The Secret Service didn't fuck up that badly.

No, you have 2 socialites who crashed a party, and that's all. There may be some technical crime they can try to punish them with, but no real transgression happened other than embarrassment.

What safety concern? I'm quite sure EVERY single guest, invited or not, was checked for weapons. The Secret Service didn't fuck up that badly.

No, you have 2 socialites who crashed a party, and that's all. There may be some technical crime they can try to punish them with, but no real transgression happened other than embarrassment.

Sorry. I forgot that the only things that can be used to kill are metallic.
HAMMER:

The same threat comes from all the other guests.

Give it up already - You know these people represented no threat at all. Going after them is just about petty vengeance for making people look silly.

The same threat comes from all the other guests.

Give it up already - You know these people represented no threat at all. Going after them is just about petty vengeance for making people look silly.

The other guests had all been investigated and vetted - these folks had not. It's a valid concern.

Security fucked up, plain and simple - they should have been held aside until their bonafides had been established.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Since when has "Oh, they meant no harm and posed no threat" a valid defense for breaking the law? If they lied to get onto White House grounds they should be prosecuted. There are certain situations where, what may seem humorous and funny, should be, and is, taken very seriously. You can't joke about having weapons on an aircraft with the crew, you can't belittle a judge in his/her courtroom, etc.
The men and women of the Secret Service have a tough job and have sworn to lay down their lives to protect those in their care. People messing with them is not something to be taken lightly.
HAMMER:

Since when has "Oh, they meant no harm and posed no threat" a valid defense for breaking the law? If they lied to get onto White House grounds they should be prosecuted. There are certain situations where, what may seem humorous and funny, should be, and is, taken very seriously. You can't joke about having weapons on an aircraft with the crew, you can't belittle a judge in his/her courtroom, etc.
The men and women of the Secret Service have a tough job and have sworn to lay down their lives to protect those in their care. People messing with them is not something to be taken lightly.

Do we know if they actually lied or deceived anyone? Maybe they just showed up, gave their names when asked, and were announced. Can't see anything illegal there. They might have inadvertantly done the security people a favor and exposed a dereliction or, at least, incompetence. Heads should roll, but I hope the correct heads roll. I bet it won't happen again.

Do we know if they actually lied or deceived anyone? Maybe they just showed up, gave their names when asked, and were announced. Can't see anything illegal there. They might have inadvertantly done the security people a favor and exposed a dereliction or, at least, incompetence. Heads should roll, but I hope the correct heads roll. I bet it won't happen again.

That is what the Service is investigating. If they did as you said they may have done then they broke no laws. OTOH, if they lied about having an invite then they broke several laws.
If they are innocent, great. Learn from it and move on. But if they are guilty then they should be prosecuted.
HAMMER: