shropshire

Should the BNP be allowed to voice their views on the BBC?

The fucker Nick Griffin is going to be allowed to be on the BBC Question Time program tonight.

He is the leader of the Whites Only BNP.... should freedom of speach be extended to anyone, no matter what their views?

.... one funny story came out this week though... apparently, they are not allowed to restrict membership to Whites only... so some have suggested thet All Non-White folks in the U.K join the party and thus be in the majority and would be able to vote out all of the crazies and change the party lineB|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

As a Muslim darkie who grew up in London during the hight of the NF and copped shit for decades from the far right, I voted Yes. The BNP should be allowed to be represented on the BBC so long as their views expressed do not in anyway break the law. If however they make statements that incite racial hatred or incite violence, then they and the BBC should be proscecuted to the full extent of the law. We live in a democracy and so long as people abide by the law they should have full entitlements to the right that the law gives them. I don't like or agree with the BNP but support the right to freedom of speech. To many of our rights and civil liberties have been erroded, people died and still are, to give us and defend those rights. They should not be given up lightly.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The fucker Nick Griffin is going to be allowed to be on the BBC Question Time program tonight.

He is the leader of the Whites Only BNP.... should freedom of speach be extended to anyone, no matter what their views?

.... one funny story came out this week though... apparently, they are not allowed to restrict membership to Whites only... so some have suggested thet All Non-White folks in the U.K join the party and thus be in the majority and would be able to vote out all of the crazies and change the party lineB|

Since this "news" org is government subsidized they should have no choice. They pay taxes too
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The problem is, where does the line bertween freedom of speach and hate, lie?

Who decides?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

But ... but ..

On the surface, they are likely to stay within the letter of the law whilst on tellie, but their underlying philosophy is one of hate and division... I for one am not comfortable with that

(.)Y(.)

I agree but so long as they are trying to work within the legal framework of a democracy then they should be easy to defeat in a debate. I will be hacked off if they have a panel of self rightous halfwits who are not as bright as Griffen. For a start the picture of the Spitfire he hijacked to stand in front of was flown by a Polish pilot. Anyone with any accumen should be able to destroy his arguments easily and expose him as the hate mongerer that he is.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Of course the other argument is what if he is changing the party? (Far fetched but not impossible) after all didn't the Italian Facist party change direction? What if we had kept the ban on Sinn Fein not being able to broadcast,Adams and McGuiness would have been undermined and quite possibly we'd still have major problems in Northern Ireland. What if Griffen can change the BNPs direction? Also even if he isn't going to go down that route (Much more likely) the fear of the Far Right might just be enough for the Conservative party to move back to its traditional ground which at the moment the BNP are exploiting.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Not giving an opinion or voting... as it is not my place to tell ya'll what to do. But I do have some questions to try to understand this a little better, so do pardon this poor lil Yanks ignorance...

Is the BBC a PUBLIC service or a private one? (wondering if it would be equal to our NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX networks or more paralleled to PBS)
Do the political parties have to pay for air time?
Is it a set rate for all political parties?
What are your laws about freedom of speech?
about speech in public venues (like on air)?
What are the fines/penalties for breaking those laws?
How enforceable are those laws?

I don't think we should be concerned about whether a line exists between free speech and hate. If someone hates something or someone else they should be able to express that view.

The line that needs to be drawn is between speech and threats or incitement to violence/intimidation. Those things are already criminal offences. Trying to censor political speech, however unpleasant, is simply thought policing and is at odds with the very freedom that we are trying to protect.

Hi

I don't have all of the answers to your questions, (except that the BBC is a pure public service.... the program concerned is a debate and I wouldn't think that they pay to be on the panel).

(.)Y(.)

Hey there Lil Yank

Is the BBC a PUBLIC service or a private one? (wondering if it would be equal to our NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX networks or more paralleled to PBS)

The BBC is a public broadcaster paid for by licence fee of the British public.

Do the political parties have to pay for air time?
Is it a set rate for all political parties?

Yes they do if its a party political broadcast. However Question Time the programme in question is a current affairs programme where guests answer questions from the public audience. I don't think the guests are paid but I could be wrong.

What are your laws about freedom of speech?
about speech in public venues (like on air)?

One can not incite racial or religious hatered, one can not incite violence.

What are the fines/penalties for breaking those laws?
How enforceable are those laws?

Incitement to violence, incitment of racial and religious hatred are arrestable offences and on conviction are punishable by imprisonment.
The BBC would be punished by OFCOM their regulatory body and would have sever fines.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Muzzling the BNP only gives them "victim" status. If they're really crazy extremists like they seem, letting everyone see that is a good thing.

After seeing him .. I'm tending to agree.

(.)Y(.)

Interesting clip.

But I don't understand the purpose of the show. Where was Simon or Paula Abul?
Just kidding... (reference to another thread....)

Seriously though

What was the goal of that Question Time? Or was it just to say "fine... we let you on."

Thats funny:D As to your question, the point of the programme (which is on every week) is to have interesting and open debate to inform the public of different views from often public figures and polititians. I suppose the point of the show is to stimulate wider debate in society.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Very interesting programe. Jack Straw was very strong on the attack, very weal in defence. Baroness Warsi was great. Nick Griffen did proberbly more to loose votes for the BNP tonight than at any time upto now. He came over as insincere, untrustworthy, creepy and a total liar. I had expected him to be more personable actually. Undoubtedly letting him on the show was the right thing to do.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca