Skyrad

Carrying a gun increases risk of getting shot and killed

How did we go from an news report of a relatively reasonably done journal article to beating this anecdotal case of a tragic death to death?

Well said Doctor..
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>f I were to list 25 articles by some author written for the NRA.. . . .

But that's not quite what's happening, is it?

Again, if you published 50 articles on prenatal care in a medical journal, and 23 were cited by an anti-abortion group - would that mean you had a strong bias against legalized abortion?

It could and I think that you would be a fool not to recognize a level of bias. Especially if I belonged to an anti-abortion group that used my studies on their website.

I didn't say that their research wasn't valid. Nor that this study was or wasn't biased... just that looking at the authors themselves, there appears to be a bias that I feel that they would need to overcome.

A fair point
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This post is from Marty:

"Someone asked why I would carry a gun, I said 'Because cops weigh too much.'"

Funny, I like Bill's retort also 'And donuts are expensive.
' :D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Here's how I see it.... if you ban guns, then armed robberies will be held with buck knives or tazers. It doesn't fix it, so unless anti-gun movements are willing to null and void the US Constitution (which that would be a bold and stupid proposal), guns will not be banned.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

>Studys such as this one would also find that truck drivers are xx times more
>likely to die in a trucking accident than non-truckers.

True. Of course, truckers don't claim that driving a truck _protects_ them from dying in trucking accidents. If they did, we'd probably laugh at them.

They don't claim they can ninja-flip the other truck in the accident, either.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Here's how I see it.... if you ban guns, then armed robberies will be held with buck knives or tazers. It doesn't fix it, so unless anti-gun movements are willing to null and void the US Constitution (which that would be a bold and stupid proposal), guns will not be banned.

Passing a law banning guns doesn't have a magical power to make them all disappear.

If something did pass, they'd still have to collect all 250,000,000 of them from people, a daunting task.

How would they know who had them? There's no central registration database for them. There is paperwork kept on file with FFLs, but I'm betting a lot of that would be "misplaced" if there was a ban. All that doesn't even consider that people might not be so willing to hand them over.

That's just to get them from the law-abiding people. How do you go about getting them from criminals? They're certainly not going to give them up just because it's illegal. Hell, being a felon with a firearm is illegal already.

Then you have to worry about the illegal gun trafficking from Mexico, etc..

It's pretty impractical no matter which side you agree with.

I'll look for the cite, but I read an article a few years ago that cited a survey of TX DPS officers. 60% of them responded that they would refuse orders to go door to door to collect guns in the case of a ban.

Not that that's how it would happen anyway, but I thought it was interesting to note.
--
Rob

I'll look for the cite, but I read an article a few years ago that cited a survey of TX DPS officers. 60% of them responded that they would refuse orders to go door to door to collect guns in the case of a ban.

Not that that's how it would happen anyway, but I thought it was interesting to note.

It wouldn't surprise me if the number was actually higher than that.

Now that I think about it, I sold all my firearms a few years ago.

No firearms here officer.... ;)

Passing a law banning guns doesn't have a magical power to make them all disappear.

If something did pass, they'd still have to collect all 250,000,000 of them from people, a daunting task.

How would they know who had them? There's no central registration database for them. There is paperwork kept on file with FFLs, but I'm betting a lot of that would be "misplaced" if there was a ban. All that doesn't even consider that people might not be so willing to hand them over.

That's just to get them from the law-abiding people. How do you go about getting them from criminals? They're certainly not going to give them up just because it's illegal. Hell, being a felon with a firearm is illegal already.

Then you have to worry about the illegal gun trafficking from Mexico, etc..

It's pretty impractical no matter which side you agree with.

I completely agree with you... it's not practical but I love to see if the anit-gun movement chimes in on such proposals.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

+1 I would think most cops in Texas are smarter than that;) I promise I will never loose that right. I will die with that right!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

+1 I would think most cops in Texas are smarter than that;) I promise I will never loose that right. I will die with that right!

Well, I'd assume if they were successful in getting rid of #2 they'd take care of #4 as well, so my statement probably wouldn't help me much...B|

Well, I'd assume if they were successful in getting rid of #2 they'd take care of #4 as well, so my statement probably wouldn't help me much...B|

You are prob. correct. That is why I will never let go of that right!:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

guns will not be banned.

Already happened. Read up on the Gun Control Act of 1968. It BANNED any gun that did not have a "sporting purpose" from being brought into the US.

Read up on The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. Which made it illegal for legal citizens to own a machine gun unless it was already registered. Thus BANNING them for civilians.

Read up on President George H. W. Bush's and how on March 14th 1989 he banned the importation of certain guns deemed assault weapons into the United States.

Read up on the now defunct 1994 Assault Weapons BAN. It BANNED several weapons.

Gun bans clearly do happen.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Or would it be more indicative of your field of expertise?

Doesn't EVERYONE go to an MD for gun advice?

The Strange fact is that Karen in this case knows more about firearms than the author of the article.

hmmm

I know you know that Mike, but others are quite dismissive of her opinions when in fact they should actually pay attention and give her statements the weight they deserve.

Opinions based in reality and first hand knowledge.

Branas if most likely a gunophobe so that would explain his zeal in claiming what he does.

Or would it be more indicative of your field of expertise?

Doesn't EVERYONE go to an MD for gun advice?

The Strange fact is that Karen in this case knows more about firearms than the author of the article.

Yeah, I should've said "Doc K excepted" - sorry, Doc!!

I know you know that Mike, but others are quite dismissive of her opinions when in fact they should actually pay attention and give her statements the weight they deserve.

Yup...she and I traded some PMs back and forth, and I had a pleasant conversation with her husband before I bought the RRA. Both she and him are good people.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706