DJL

What kind of home security do you have?

My kids are almost the same ages as yours (3 1/2 and 12 months).

My plan is to have them gun safe long before they get to the stage that they can get a gun. If I had a 10 year old, I hope I wouldn't be worried about her accessing my guns, because she's going to know what's appropriate and what's not, and how to handle them safely.

I am biased, but I think that is a good plan.

My father had a lot of guns; most he kept in a safe. The ones he left out (BB gun in the garage and pistol or some sort of handgun in the master bedroom) he made me very aware of, and also made it clear never to touch them. I was an only child and home alone more than not. I think boys might be more curious than girls, though. I was happy to leave the guns alone.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

No.....the real world experience is that petty thiefs would rather not go into a house with an alarm system, specially a loud audible alarm system.

And what "real world experience" are you basing this on? I'm basing this on real crimes against real people and the real property they lost while their alarm was going off. Then again, what would I know about real crime?:P

An alarm is not the end all that people believe it to be. You need lighting, proper bushes, proper doors and locks and the right kind of door frames.

The absolute best thing you can have to protect your home is a super annoying, nosy old person living across the street. The kind that call 911 at the drop of a hat. They're the ones that get LE response there in enough time to actually get their hands on the burglars.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

if anyone is responsible for others' safety and have that oh well, I'm not worried about it attitude, then they are doing those folks they are responsible to a huge disservice.

There is a difference between oh well, I'm not worried enough to have guns in the house and not taking other precautions.

You have to remember that there are people out there who do not believe that a gun is the answer.

Having a gun for home defense is a very personal decision but I could not help but notice the below quote.

I could not imagine living with that constant fear of violence.

Aside from the quote making your outlook on home security to be lackadaisical, and perhaps I am reading into it, but are you not equating those who choose to protect their homes with a firearm as living with a constant fear of violence?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Why do you seem to mind so much that other people take precautionary measures?

I can't speak for the poster you asked, but as for me, I've got no problem with the precautionary measures others choose to take (or not take, as the case may be). I respect that we all need to make our own decisions about what we're personally comfortable with.

However, as I learned when I posted about an attempted break-in in my (now former*) house, I wasn't offered the same respect. I was told that someone was going to break into my house and rape and kill me and leave my grey matter splattered on the wall because I chose to address the situation by adding an alarm system and extra outdoor lighting, and maintaining open communication with my neighbors, rather than buying a gun.

*Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I lived in that house for nearly 2 years after the attempted break-in; it is no longer my home because I moved to a different state for personal and professional reasons.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

An alarm is not the end all that people believe it to be. You need lighting, proper bushes, proper doors and locks and the right kind of door frames.

I agree with this much more than your previous post about alarm-system responses.

Having said that, I do not go with "proper bushes". I do not much care for the big, prickly bush with the seasonal red berries we had growing outside of every window of my childhood home. We had beautiful landscaping, but I hated those fucking bushes. I am willing to risk having the soft, fun foliage I have around my current residence if it means not having to deal with the maintenance of a spikey, bushy mess.

:P

The absolute best thing you can have to protect your home is a super annoying, nosy old person living across the street. The kind that call 911 at the drop of a hat. They're the ones that get LE response there in enough time to actually get their hands on the burglars.

Yeah... but that gets you in trouble with the President.

Yes... I did just go there. This is SC after all. :D:D:D

Or better, the ex-combat-military, successful-business old man who is best friends with the city commander and very clear about his gun and his rights to use it. :D We are very good friends with him and good acquaintances with the rest of our neighbors.

It is not something I thought about before--the neighbor factor--but a very valid consideration.

I agree with this much more than your previous post about alarm-system responses.

Well, my previous post was from my experience with alarm systems and burglary reports. That and actually being able to find, chase and arrest burglars.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."