Dumpster

Institute for Human Continuity

Is this the same one?

The Institute for Human Continuity a hoax!
August 26, 10:10 PMFreethought ExaminerD.M.

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Freethought Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use. Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
Terms of Use

Buddha's head submerged in flood water
from Typhoon Morakot (AP Photo) "End of the world" scenarios are big business, in religion and in trade, such as books, movies and so on. Christian Apocalyptic/Armageddon novels and videos have sold hundreds of millions of copies, especially during chronological milestones such as the year 2000—who can forget Y2K hysteria? Of late, as we approach the year 2012, we have seen an enormous proliferation in books, movies and websites touting Doomsday storylines of all manner. Naturally, movie studios have been salivating over the prospect of blocks-long lines waiting to see their latest disaster films, including and especially as concerns "2012."

One of these awaited movie is the fare set to be released by SONY studies in November, called—you might of guessed it—"2012." Naturally, SONY wants everyone in the world to see their movie—and to have the bejesus scared out of them, so they have evidently committed a grandiose hoax to drive the sheeple into those theaters in stampedes. I speak about a peculiar new website called "TheIHC.com," which has burst onto the small screen like the Flying Spaghetti Monster on steroids. When I first saw this strange website being advertised—on a kid's TV station, no less—I thought, who the heck has the money to be advertising such an odd site, which definitely declared that the earth would be destroyed in the year 2012 and that we puny humans could increase our chances of survival by joining a lottery offered at the site, which defaults to the domain InstituteForHumanContinuity.org.

Homes collapsed in raging flood waters
from Typhoon Morakot (AP Photo)Based on its claims concerning the year 2012—which has its roots in purported Maya prophecy of the "end of the world" (largely debunked)—I immediately thought this website must belong to some bizarre New Age group, but who would have the kind of money to put together such an enormously expensive ad campaign? Wealthy businessman Joe Firmage and his alien endeavors did come to mind at first. I finally took a look at the site and when I did a search for its principal "world-renowned scientists" such as "Dr. Frederic West" and "Dr. Satnam Tsuratani," claimed to have been putting together this world-saving organization for 30 years, they did not show up in the search engines, except on one site—and that wasn't even TheIHC.com! In fact, oddly enough, that site didn't show up at all.

It didn't take long to figure out this scam designed to terrify us into the theaters. One scan of the "whois" registry showed that the Institute for Human Continuity site is registered to SONY pictures in Culver City, California. Having lived a stone's throw away for many years, and having gone to the studios on a number of occasions, I knew the address well. The "SONYPICTURES" in the site's domain name servers didn't escape my acute detective skills either. Of course, others have already discovered this hoax, recognizing the "scientists" as actors from the movie.

Although TheIHC.com site is dramatic and exciting—and it may even be truthful to the extent that most markers point to the world being in deep trouble—it is not a real organization and is obviously designed to increase ticket sales for SONY's coming release "2012." A hoax, a fraud and a farce, but clever marketing nonetheless, just like all the biblically-based apocalypse merchandise
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Apparently it's part of the marketing for the film 2012.

Edit to add: Rush, you sure do copy and paste fast :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Apparently it's part of the marketing for the film 2012.

Edit to add: Rush, you sure do copy and paste fast :)

Wendy P.

I had no idea what is was so I googled it. that is what I came up with

And since I cant spell........:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I saw a TV ad late last night - Googled it and came with a weird website - Almost looks legit - Hehe -

Off the cuff they seem like a group similiar the the Y2K end-of-the-world types.

The "lottery" is funny - and the plans to build a huge underground colony in Antartica. WooHoo!

Easy Does It

On a side note, I heard an interview on the radio of an archeologist who has been studying the ancient Mayan culture. And she said the whole Mayan calendar, 2012 = end of the world thing is total bullshit.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Yes I agree - No expert myself, but if it smells, it probably is. Some one no doubt is getting a little rich from it.

Yep; just like Y2K, Planet X, and other such BS.

I'm going with a Rocky & Bullwinkle style title:

Fools And Their Money Are Meant To Be Parted. or . . .

Who Sheared The Sheep?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I only have one question about this organization:

WTF??

I was wondering the same thing, right up until the end of the commercial when I saw the "THIS FILM IS NOT YET RATED" tag.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes I agree - No expert myself, but if it smells, it probably is. Some one no doubt is getting a little rich from it.

Yep; just like Y2K, Planet X, and other such BS.

I'm going with a Rocky & Bullwinkle style title:

Fools And Their Money Are Meant To Be Parted. or . . .

Who Sheared The Sheep?

Y2K at least was a real issue. Its danger was inflated,but it was actually a legitamate issue.

The Mayans NEVER predicted anything resembling an End Times scenario for 2012.

This 2012 shit is coming straight out of someone's ass.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I heard an interview on the radio of an archeologist who has been studying the ancient Mayan culture. And she said the whole Mayan calendar, 2012 = end of the world thing is total bullshit.

:o

:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

This 2012 shit is coming straight out of someone's ass.

Well, it is based on the end of their long calendar, so that's why people are saying 2012. But you're right, they never said that's the end of the world after that. They probably just expected people to go out and buy a new calendar. Maybe with pin-up girls that actually wear clothes.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD