happythoughts

religious geography

My understanding of the history of AA's 12-step program is that the "higher power" element originally did have a mainly religious meaning, but that AA eventually "expanded" on what it "could" mean, in order to reconcile it with criticisms that it was unreasonably narrow.

This is correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholics_Anonymous#History
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I quit worrying about it years ago. I've answered all the
questions that religion purports to help with. So I don't need it.

I had a very similar thought this weekend while turning away a Saturday morning visitor. He gets out of the car carrying a Bible and some pamphlets.

His entry topic was discrimination, which was also printed in big block letters on the top pamphlet. 1st thing he asks is if I think people will ever stop discriminating against each other. (After some small talk about my flowers).

I told him not in my lifetime, mainly due to resistance to change and the human need to identify with local like-minded people. So he asks if I'd like to hear a relevant passage. I decline, very politlely, and see him off with a handshake.

I wasn't up for the discussion at the time, but as he walked back to his car I thought that the real reason religion has not appealled to me since about age 8; aside from all the oogie-boogie stuff) is that there just is not the need for it

For things that are knowable; critical thinking, logic, investigation, experiment, etc are far better tools. For things we can only ever guess at, any answer is as good as the next.

Reason for existence? Strawberry jelly of course. Prove me wrong.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I have read and re-read your response and it makes perfect sense. I cannot pick holes in your train of thought.

Back in the late 80's I produced and hosted a call-in TV show on Public Access targeted to Vietnam Veterans. It was called "LZ VICTORY." I remember getting into this same debate with a caller. I have ended up in the same place with your response as with his. Namely, I wish I could prove what you say is true. If I could be certain that my peace of mind, sense of being loved by God, deliverance from fear, alcohol/drugs, and generally having a purpose in life where none existed prior was simply a manifestation of my college education, experience as a sport parachutist, or being a military veteran then I could have marketed that path for personal financial gain. I can't find any ego centric evidence that indicates my positive change of life style was anything other than a supernatural gift from God's grace that began when I surrendered to Jesus Christ on 16 Mar 81 and was followed by three other supernatural experiences during Apr 83.

The explanation of God's grace and favor actually belonging to and a product of mortal man is generally referred to as reprobate. That is given to the flesh, denying God, seeing self as god. When a person maintains that perspective of philosophical reasoning he is denying the ministry and guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is my understanding that such behavior, expression and conviction is regarded as the unpardonable sin. Meaning, if a person denies the path to Christ, then he can never be forgiven. Forgiveness comes from Christ and the individual must voluntarily seek Him. The Holy Spirit points the way; the choice is personal free will.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

to be a member of said sect, you're supposed to give a tenth of your paycheck to the "church".. i dont think yours will be much different.

so, since you're so eager on recruiting even on this website, i doubt that you'll stop at those helpless souls.

that comment hasnt made me look foolish, it actually has revealed the true nature of your intentions..

First, Wendy did an excellent job responding to your posts. Second, I have no profit motive here, 12 step programs have no profit motive beyond sustaining presence. Their primary function is to offer support.

The 10% tithe concept comes from the OT and is not mentioned in the NT. Unfortunately, many churches in America abuse that concept but, no one is forced to attend those churches. I do not represent any church.

My purpose here is fellowship not recruitment. I share my stories, my beliefs, my experiences, go do whatever you want.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Higher powers? There is no "higher power".

Well, that just wiped out and negated the professional field of substance abuse/chemical dependency. I retired just in the nick of time, eh.:o:S

I'm sure that a free program is more popular than the $40 an hour psychologist.
The "whatever is the most popular is correct"
technique of decision-making is amazingly poor.
Perhaps that is how they started their chemical dependency.

The "higher power" technique is crutch substitution.
It provides a stopgap measure for people whose problems
have overwhelmed them.

"I can't deal with my problems without a drink."
"Put all your problems in the hands of the mythical being and
don't worry."
That's not a solution. The goal is problem solving not problem avoidance.

Psychiatrists may provide medication in the short term
until actual healing can occur, but the goal is healing.

>Psychiatrists may provide medication in the short term
>until actual healing can occur, but the goal is healing.

And yet someone who stops drinking based on his/her faith is just as "healed" as someone who stops drinking based on a completely secular decision.

Well, that just wiped out and negated the professional field of substance abuse/chemical dependency. I retired just in the nick of time, eh.:o:S

have overwhelmed them.

don't worry."

No, the goal is "abstinence based recovery." Once an alcoholic/addict always an alcoholic/addict. There is no cure, only management. At least that is the way it is at this time.

The cost of a licensed and certified mental health counselor on a private basis is more like $150/hour. Most insurance companies will pay for three sessions.

have overwhelmed them.

don't worry."

No, the goal is "abstinence based recovery." Once an alcoholic/addict always an alcoholic/addict. There is no cure, only management. At least that is the way it is at this time.

The cost of a licensed and certified mental health counselor on a private basis is more like $150/hour. Most insurance companies will pay for three sessions.

Chemical dependency is a problem.
However, it may be a symptom, not the core problem.

By avoiding the dependency, you mitigate the health impacts and
the life issues. That is certainly helpful, but it is not a resolution.

However, resolving the core emotional problem is the actual goal of therapy.

I wouldn't expect any therapist to change years of behavior in
3 sessions. Therefore, the popularity of free programs.

Back to my original premise, I would expect that the "higher power" in Muslim countries of the middle East to not be Christian.
Should such a program exist without Jesus?
Would you support such a program?
Would it be effective?

--For things that are knowable; critical thinking, logic, investigation, experiment, etc are far better tools. For things we can only ever guess at, any answer is as good as the next.

For logical things, logic works just fine. For illogical things logic falls flat. Such as the heart of man that is more deceitful than all else, and is desperately evil, who can know it?

--Reason for existence? Strawberry jelly of course. Prove me wrong.

No argument on that one.

Back to my original premise, I would expect that the "higher power" in Muslim countries of the middle East to not be Christian.
Would it be effective?

Substance abuse/chemical dependency is a primary Axis I diagnosis according to the DSM-IV. There is no further consideration of core problems.

Stay abstinent, stop committing crime. If you use, you go to jail.

I don't know of any truly free programs. They are usually not for profit organizations but BIG bucks flow through them. Clients are required to pay something. In my last position, a court ordered probationer paid about $650-700 for the 12 week program.

It is my understanding that alcoholism in the Muslim culture is punishable by death. I may be mistaken but seems like I heard it grouped in with homosexuality and the like.

Many recovery programs exits without Jesus. As I said earlier, the concept is higher power, God as you understand him. Yes, I support them and yes, they are effective. You do not have to be a Christian to be straight, clean and sober.

I prefer Christian counseling but, I am a professional and can operate in any client centered environment. I don't care if the client chooses to worship the high priest of the church of the live wire.

As I said earlier, the concept is higher power, God as you understand him.

St Peter... "Uhh, Ron, I was looking at the internet in Sept and
noticed your mention of other 'higher powers' and such..." :D

Seems like if you are a Christian, then there is only one higher power. You can't really recognize the "others" as valid.
I am surprised that you are accepting of that.

If they understand Allah to be The Higher Power and obviously
reject Christianity, then I can't see how Christians would
support the concept.

(Chemical dependency isn't necessarily alcohol.
It could be painkillers, some type of legal pharmacy stuff that
got out of hand. Muslims could get into a 12-step program on
a basis that didn't conflict with their religion. Just an example.)

As I said earlier, the concept is higher power, God as you understand him.

St Peter... "Uhh, Ron, I was looking at the internet in Sept and
noticed your mention of other 'higher powers' and such..." :D

Seems like if you are a Christian, then there is only one higher power. You can't really recognize the "others" as valid.

support the concept.

"Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God". Arab Christians refer to God as "Allah".

And Christians, Jews, and Muslims, whether Arab or not, all worship the God of Abraham. They all believe that that is the only God that exists anyway, so all other email gets forwarded to him.;)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Are you being serious? Christianity didn't exist when Jesus walked the earth (Even if you accept that he still lives in a spirit form, that doesn't change the fact that he was a Jew)
If you don't believe that Jesus was a Jew just what religion do you think he was?

He was certainly Jewish. He was also the Messiah, The Son of God, The Word in the flesh, The Son of man, the propitiation for man's sin, victorious over death to name a few things.

When Saul encountered Jesus on the road to Damascus his name became Paul and he was subsequently directed to take the message to the Gentiles.

Ahh yes, Paul. He is the real father of Christianity. A former Christian hater. We only have his word about his 'meeting' with Jesus on that road, as no one else was there.. He never met Jesus in person when he walked the earth in a physical body and fell out with Barnabas et al when he directly contradicted the teachings of Jesus. Who said that he not come to change the laws of Abraham. Yet Paul advocated non circumcisionn and eating pig meat.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Would it be effective?

Substance abuse/chemical dependency is a primary Axis I diagnosis according to the DSM-IV. There is no further consideration of core problems.

Stay abstinent, stop committing crime. If you use, you go to jail.

I don't know of any truly free programs. They are usually not for profit organizations but BIG bucks flow through them. Clients are required to pay something. In my last position, a court ordered probationer paid about $650-700 for the 12 week program.

It is my understanding that alcoholism in the Muslim culture is punishable by death. I may be mistaken but seems like I heard it grouped in with homosexuality and the like.

As a spirit filled Christian what are your beliefs about homosexuality? Do you view it as a sin?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

support the concept.

I wear many hats. I am a Christian and hold a MA in Rehab Counseling. My profession required me to work in different environments. My job description did not include sharing the good news of the gospel.

The last program I worked for had a few Muslim counselors on staff. In my previous post I was thinking about Muslims in the mid-east.

Remember, the focus of treatment is to get sober and stay sober, short and long term goal. Next, stop committing crime and learn to be productive, long term goal beyond treatment.

The word sober is generic and refers to the abstinence from all mood altering chemicals.

according to DSM-IV, uh!? so you studied psychology? or have some sort of medical degree?

and i dont mean your 9 month bible study group on college level..

I hold a Master of Arts degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from the University of South Florida, matriculated 1973.

Chemical addiction is a problem that may be overcome thru self acutalzation/religon. There are no 12 step programs that have a success rate like AA or NA for depression or schizophrenics for a reason. Believing crazy shit; makes you buy definition; crazy.

Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia are best treated, that is managed, with prescribed medication.

As a spirit filled Christian what are your beliefs about homosexuality? Do you view it as a sin?

All sex outside of marriage is sin because it is attention toward the flesh and not God. The Bible considers homosexuality as an abomination and not acceptable in any fashion. It is lust of the flesh.

My professional employment required me to work with homosexuals, male and female, as colleagues and as clients.

God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness

Romas 1:(NKJV)
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,[c] wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving,[d] unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

so, you think homosexuals should be killed!? because thats whats written there..

32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God". Arab Christians refer to God as "Allah".

And Christians, Jews, and Muslims, whether Arab or not, all worship the God of Abraham. They all believe that that is the only God that exists anyway, so all other email gets forwarded to him.;)

Good one!:D:D:D

so, you think homosexuals should be killed!? because thats whats written there..

32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

The sin of man results in spiritual death. Jesus Christ paid the price for all sin, for all men, for all time. If you accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God, Son of Man, His atoning death as propitiation of sin and, His resurrection from the grave, you can be forgiven of your sin and receive spiritual life.

Sin is sin, it separates man from God. The gateway back to God is through Jesus.

The sin of man results in spiritual death. Jesus Christ paid the price for all sin, for all men, for all time. If you accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God, Son of Man, His atoning death as propitiation of sin and, His resurrection from the grave you can be forgiven of your sin and receive spiritual life.

Sin is sin, it separates man from God. The gateway back to God is through Jesus.

so, in fact, you can "pray the gay away"!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The sin of man results in spiritual death. Jesus Christ paid the price for all sin, for all men, for all time. If you accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God, Son of Man, His atoning death as propitiation of sin and, His resurrection from the grave you can be forgiven of your sin and receive spiritual life.

so, in fact, you can "pray the gay away"!?

No, the gay can pray for forgiveness and change their lives. I don't have anything to do with it. Personally, I feel sorry for them. They have a tough life.