dreamdancer

Is It Now a Crime to Be Poor?

let them eat cake...

It's too bad so many people are falling into poverty at a time when it’s almost illegal to be poor. You won’t be arrested for shopping in a Dollar Store, but if you are truly, deeply, in-the-streets poor, you’re well advised not to engage in any of the biological necessities of life — like sitting, sleeping, lying down or loitering. City officials boast that there is nothing discriminatory about the ordinances that afflict the destitute, most of which go back to the dawn of gentrification in the ’80s and ’90s. “If you’re lying on a sidewalk, whether you’re homeless or a millionaire, you’re in violation of the ordinance,” a city attorney in St. Petersburg, Fla., said in June, echoing Anatole France’s immortal observation that “the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges.”

In defiance of all reason and compassion, the criminalization of poverty has actually been intensifying as the recession generates ever more poverty. So concludes a new study from the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, which found that the number of ordinances against the publicly poor has been rising since 2006, along with ticketing and arrests for more “neutral” infractions like jaywalking, littering or carrying an open container of alcohol.

The report lists America’s 10 “meanest” cities — the largest of which are Honolulu, Los Angeles and San Francisco — but new contestants are springing up every day. The City Council in Grand Junction, Colo., has been considering a ban on begging, and at the end of June, Tempe, Ariz., carried out a four-day crackdown on the indigent. How do you know when someone is indigent? As a Las Vegas statute puts it, “An indigent person is a person whom a reasonable ordinary person would believe to be entitled to apply for or receive” public assistance.

That could be me before the blow-drying and eyeliner, and it’s definitely Al Szekely at any time of day. A grizzled 62-year-old, he inhabits a wheelchair and is often found on G Street in Washington — the city that is ultimately responsible for the bullet he took in the spine in Fu Bai, Vietnam, in 1972. He had been enjoying the luxury of an indoor bed until last December, when the police swept through the shelter in the middle of the night looking for men with outstanding warrants.

It turned out that Mr. Szekely, who is an ordained minister and does not drink, do drugs or curse in front of ladies, did indeed have a warrant — for not appearing in court to face a charge of “criminal trespassing” (for sleeping on a sidewalk in a Washington suburb). So he was dragged out of the shelter and put in jail. “Can you imagine?” asked Eric Sheptock, the homeless advocate (himself a shelter resident) who introduced me to Mr. Szekely. “They arrested a homeless man in a shelter for being homeless.”

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/08/09-4
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

The report lists America’s 10 “meanest” cities — the largest of which are Honolulu, Los Angeles and San Francisco —

Any time I see SF listed as mean to the homeless, I laugh hysterically, and then quite sadly. This place spends, officially, ~190 million on what is supposedly 6-10k in homeless (you do the math). That doesn't include all the spare change people give out - at certain intersections, guys are talking in $40/hr, or all of the spending by churches and other non city help organizations. The 'homeless' come here from all over. Give em a bus ticket home to Portland, and you see them again in a few months.

It's sad because the lazy outmuscle those who really need assistance, and it's hard to feel like giving anyone help when you see these guys for years, see them with cell phones, see them getting into a car at the end of their 'shift.'

It's a crime if you commit a crime. And aren't you now commiting a crime dreamdancer? It's past 9 O'clock. Mummy will be ever so unhappy to realise you haven't gone to bed yet.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

It's a crime if you commit a crime. And aren't you now commiting a crime dreamdancer? It's past 9 O'clock. Mummy will be ever so unhappy to realise you haven't gone to bed yet.

is that your mummy or mine?

“If you’re lying on a sidewalk, whether you’re homeless or a millionaire, you’re in violation of the ordinance,” a city attorney in St. Petersburg, Fla., said in June, echoing Anatole France’s immortal observation that “the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges.”

I worked with this population as a counselor in various capacities, off and on, from 1973 - 2009. For sixteen months I was a member of the Hillsborough County Homeless Coalition, across the bay from St. Pete. During the period from 1975 - 1983 I experienced periods of homelessness myself.

The needs and issues of the homeless are extremely varied, far reaching and complicated. It always appears that more funding is the answer and yet these folks are reluctant clients and do not take full advantage of the services that are available.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

is that your mummy or mine?

Do you often stick your face into a meat grinder hoping the switch will not be turned on?

Wise up OK?

Mum will not always be there to protect you.

let them eat cake...

Why do you care? You seem to have no problem committing numerous copyright infringements yourself by copy-pasting copyrighted material while the license clearly does not allow you to do it.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

>I've never seen such an article, but maybe it would be good PR to
>decrease the problem.

Good point.

NEWS UPDATE - I just discovered that not only is San Francisco mean to the homeless, their animal control department just announced their "A Rabid Dog to Every Vagrant" program. This will follow up the successful "Vagrant Flotation Test" program introduced last month.

The report lists America’s 10 “meanest” cities — the largest of which are Honolulu, Los Angeles and San Francisco — but new contestants are springing up every day

Bloomberg Defends One-Way Tickets for Homeless http://homelessness.change.org/blog/view/bloomberg_defends_one-way_tickets_for_homeless

You gotta me kidding me !

How come New York City was not on the list ?

New York City is getting serious about addressing the needs of its homeless people. Is it by creating new permanent housing? No. Job placement? Try again.

Plane tickets.

But wait - the madness doesn't end there. Today, Mayor Bloomberg defended the one-way ticket program during a press conference, according to the City Room blog, insisting it saves NYC taxpayers "an enormous amount of money."

I have the answer ... let's have another "stimilus bill" and buy up all the houses in DEFAULT and give them to the homeless :S

By the time Washington is done handing out our tax money .... were all gonna be "homeless" B|
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

I've never seen such an article, but maybe it would be good PR to decrease the problem.

The intent is for PR - it's to try to shame the Mayor against any measures that shift away from the free giveaway.

OTOH, I suspect these press releases get the same sort of favorable audience as the BART union threatening to strike does.

It's sad because the lazy outmuscle those who really need assistance, and it's hard to feel like giving anyone help when you see these guys for years, see them with cell phones, see them getting into a car at the end of their 'shift.'

what's sad is that you actually believe this is how the poor live.

HIS information came from real-world observation, not a a cut/paste from alternatereality.com.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

HIS information came from real-world observation, not a a cut/paste from alternatereality.com.

his information is of a few individuals he claims to have seen.

And yours is STILL a cut/paste from an opinion site.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

and all you have is an opinion :)
(try reading a bit more - how's that global warming conspiracy coming along)

And it is my OWN - not culled from some website. Are you planning on actually coming to a point, sooner or later?

Couldn't tell you, since I don't think it's a conspiracy - how's that research on crime rates coming along for you?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And it is my OWN - not culled from some website. Are you planning on actually coming to a point, sooner or later?

Couldn't tell you, since I don't think it's a conspiracy - how's that research on crime rates coming along for you?

my opinion is that you should read more (and a greater variety of sources) :)
(sorry to accuse you of being a climate change denier)

my opinion is that you should read more (and a greater variety of sources) :)

Don't make the mistake of thinking that I only read Fox News because I don't subscribe to the liberal mindset - I browse all the major Stateside news network sites, as well as BBC, Reuters, NPR...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706