rushmc

Another Promise Busted (but it is Bush's Fault)

The public would've much rather seen the leader of Desert Storm veto, shut-down government and then get on TV stating that he was standing by his "Read my lips" promise.

How do you know this?

I'm guessing it's a deduction based on the way the public punished him in the next election.

You think "the public" is a single issue voter?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I didn't say that.

Regardless of whatever issues are in play, "the public" has punished officeholders who raise taxes.

The public has shown itself to be pretty one sided on both taxes and spending. The public likes (and rewards politicians who provide) lower taxes and increased spending.

Raise taxes and the voters punish you. Raise spending and the voters reward you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The public would've much rather seen the leader of Desert Storm veto, shut-down government and then get on TV stating that he was standing by his "Read my lips" promise.

How do you know this?

The 1992 election.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

How do you know this?

I'm guessing it's a deduction based on the way the public punished him in the next election.

It was the last election...[zombie voice]"change....change....change....change[/zombie voice]
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Are there any promises he has kept?

I've been watching a very interesting website:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

Regardless of which side you play, it's interesting to read their opinions and either agree/disagree with them.

I like it. I have it book marked. I have learned some things already.

I have, to a degree on some topics, disagreed with a conclusion or two but, on those topics, based on what they print, I understand how they came to the conclusions they did.

Thanks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It was the last election...[zombie voice]"change....change....change....change[/zombie voice]

But there were so many reasons for change. So sorry, that's not a single issue vote.

right... it was just the mantra. one instance would be all the people who voted for obama because he was black. they didn't know his platform, but they wanted to "vote the first black man into office".
--
Rob

Exactly as I had stated before the election.

Obama benefitted from the racist vote.

Of course that was not whites being racist against blacks either.

That was worth more in the primaries than in the general election. He probably benefitted from sexism and the anything-but-hillary-vote. In the general, it was the anything-but-mccain vote. Face it, the whites that were voting for Obama to vote for a black candidate were never going to vote for McCain anyway. The blacks were never going to vote for McCain either.

Now if 'Maverick' McCain had actually put forth a campaign that wasn't fairly defined as 'keep doing what Bush did so poorly,' it may have played out differently. People didn't want the same war in Iraq for 100 more years, and they didn't want to same economy.

That was worth more in the primaries than in the general election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/us/politics/21vote.html

But with Barack Obama on the ballot, the makeup of the 131 million who voted last year was markedly different. While the number of non-Hispanic white voters remained roughly the same, 2 million more blacks, 2 million more Latinos and 600,000 more Asians turned out. Compared with 2004, the voting rate for black, Asian and Hispanic voters increased by about four percentage points. The rate for whites declined by one percentage point.

Thom File, a voting analyst with the Census Bureau, said the turnout among blacks ages 18 to 24 increased 8 percent from 2004, to 55 percent.

The data says otherwise.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You can't raise expenses and lower revenue and expect to get out of debt.

True - Reagan and GWB proved that.

Did revenue not increase during the Regan administration? As I recall, through the years Regan was in office taxes were decreased, and income to the government increased. Problem was that spending increased in excess of the increasing income.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

The data says otherwise.

Turnout is a different topic than voter 'racism.' 76% of the voters were still white. And if all blacks voted, rather than 60% of them, the vast majority of their votes are going to the Democrat, regardless of the candidate's race.

Turnout is a different topic than voter 'racism.'

Not when the higher turnout was based only on race.

And if all blacks voted, rather than 60% of them, the vast majority of their votes are going to the Democrat, regardless of the candidate's race.

But the fact they turned out last year was due to race... Unless you have another theory why greater numbers came out than ever before.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Turnout is higher when people are interested in a candidate. How do you assert that it was only his color that attracted them, rather than his brilliant teleprompter reading ability? That's how Reagan and Clinton got votes too. His campaign had a message, and it was much more than "Look, I'm black!"

How do you assert that it was only his color that attracted them, rather than his brilliant teleprompter reading ability?

Really? I'm no racist but I'm not naive either.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Turnout is higher when people are interested in a candidate. How do you assert that it was only his color that attracted them, rather than his brilliant teleprompter reading ability? That's how Reagan and Clinton got votes too. His campaign had a message, and it was much more than "Look, I'm black!"

Are you serious? You think the record black voter turnout had nothing to do with race? Really??!?!?!?

President please!!

http://www.presidentplease.com/
--
Rob

Are you serious? You think the record black voter turnout had nothing to do with race? Really??!?!?!?

Look above - the statement made was that the higher turnout was ONLY based on race.

Turnout is higher when people are interested in a candidate.

And if they are interested in that candidate based on race... then it is based on race.

How do you assert that it was only his color that attracted them, rather than his brilliant teleprompter reading ability?

Based on the historic increase in black voter turnout for this election.