steveorino

I thought math was always logical?

It says that 3.99999999999999999. . . . is basically equal to four. It's not 100% correct; the bar over the 9 is an approximation and does not represent a real representable integer, so the equals sign is really an "approximately equals" sign.

And I thought that Speaker's Corner was supposed to be about Guns, Gays, or God.

Anyway 3.9999... as an infinite series converges on the value 4, which makes it equivalent to 4 in certain respects.

I'm sure some of the more mathematically inclined here can explain better.:)

Anyway 3.9999... as an infinite series converges on the value 4, which makes it equivalent to 4 in certain respects

Not sure how 3.999999999 ... = 4.
Does 4.1111111 ... equal 4 too?

No. 4.0 - 3.999... = 0.000........000....000......
but 4.111.... - 4.0 = 0.11111...

Not very good at math, are you?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

As a family therapist math was not a necessary strong suit. Still can't wrap around the explanation people are giving. I guess math is not a B&W concept like I thought.

Never had to theraputise the Octomom did you?:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It depends on what kind of math you are talking about. Deductive math is very different from inductive math. The same is true of inductive reasoning versus deductive reasoning.

Math (hopefully) is actually an extremely important factor in your field. When you speak, you are actually working through a math problem. When you are asking family members to explain their positions, you are working through a math problem as you find the contradictions between their statements. When you are a judge or an attorney in a court room, you are working through a complex math problem. It just looks different from the kind of "math" that most people are used to, the kind that uses numbers, matrixes, and a radix to define the Universe of Discourse in which those things reside.

It says that 3.99999999999999999. . . . is basically equal to four. It's not 100% correct; the bar over the 9 is an approximation and does not represent a real representable integer, so the equals sign is really an "approximately equals" sign.

I just ran that equation on my 60MHz Intel Pentium, and it is indeed equal.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It depends on what kind of math you are talking about. Deductive math is very different from inductive math. The same is true of inductive reasoning versus deductive reasoning.

Math (hopefully) is actually an extremely important factor in your field. When you speak, you are actually working through a math problem. When you are asking family members to explain their positions, you are working through a math problem as you find the contradictions between their statements. When you are a judge or an attorney in a court room, you are working through a complex math problem. It just looks different from the kind of "math" that most people are used to, the kind that uses numbers, matrixes, and a radix to define the Universe of Discourse in which those things reside.

You get all that when I ask, "How does that make you feel?" ;) ??

steveOrino

looks fine to me.
you have two equations. One was solved as x = 39.9 and the other was solved as x = 4

first equation is 10x = 39.99 with the 9 going on forver. x was solved as equaling 3.99 where 9 goes on forever.

second equation is 10x-x = 39.9 - 3.9 both the 9s go on forever. x was solved as equaling 4.
Very basic algebra. Math isn't for everyone.

NO

Your son was being sloppy and not showing that he was solving two different equations.

The first boxed text should go under the 10x = 39.9 as the answer to that equation.

The second equation is 10x - x = 39.9 - 3.9

answer is x = 4

Two equations two different answers. 4 does not equal 3.99.

Anyway 3.9999... as an infinite series converges on the value 4, which makes it equivalent to 4 in certain respects

Not sure how 3.999999999 ... = 4.
Does 4.1111111 ... equal 4 too?

No, but it does "equal" 4 1/9 in the same way that 3.999 ... equals 4.

And I thought that Speaker's Corner was supposed to be about Guns, Gays, or God.]

math is sounding more and more like a religion to me. :S;) The answer depends on who you ask and many say it is semantic game, while others insist they are right and the others are wrong. B|

Forgot to add .. some will insult you when you don't understand their version. ;)

steveOrino

Do you understand what I was saying?
Depending on the teacher, they might not accept that sloppyness.

He should have told you he was solving two different equations not one.

He was using the boxes to show two different answers to two different equations.
There is no ambiguity in math.