Gawain

GM is Out of Bankruptcy, Will You Buy a GM Car Now?

They're pinning their future on the $40,000 Volt.

It will be interesting to see how america embraces that car?

It could be a good answer to many problems, and it will create a few of its own, but i don't think america is ready for that type of change....

...yet, not until fuel prices are on par with (most of) the rest of the world

we'll have to wait and see.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Heeeeell no. I only like to pay for a car once, thank you.

If you're in the US or Canada, you're already gonna pay once... ;)

I've got about $3K in GM $$$ from a credit card that's slowly dwindling because there's nothing they have I really want right now.

Maybe when the Camaro convertible comes out... :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

GM broke records going through bankruptcy...40 days. Now emerged, 60% US Government Owned, 12% Canadian Government Owned, 20-ish% Union Owned, 10% Bondholder Owned...all for only $50B taxpayer dollars...

The Camaro looks nice, but they won't get my business...

Hi ga-w,
Don't know yet? 'Got a '99 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the big V-6, 200K+ mi. on it, 1 H2O pump and 1 set of plugs and wires, and some tires. Now with the upheavel who knows what will happen tomorrow less next week!! I like my Silverado and the '91 S-10 I had before it till Willy Ray Rouse biffed it to pieces!! If they quit makin Silverado's it would be a real drag!! Some Guy had a '91 silverado on E-bay a while back, claimed it had the original block in it and over "1 million miles!!!!" good service I'd say!!

As for Fords, I had a '83 Econoline 150 4-speed stick that was pretty good, well maybe? 200K+ mi in 8 yrs and 3 clutches, 2 H2O pumps, 2 heater cores and tires. Also after a few years, the electrical/ignition sys would go nutso in any kind of moisture!!!! replaced 3 units,wires and plugs!! 'Wonder if Ford ever figgured that problem out??????
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I voted "Hell No"

They are getting rid of Saturn. The Vue is a great SUV that costs around $20K and gets around 30 miles to the gallon. It shows that they still don't get it. If I buy american again it looks like a ford escape hybrid, provided the price comes down. Not all americans can afford $30-40K for a good family car.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I voted "Hell No"

They are getting rid of Saturn. The Vue is a great SUV that costs around $20K and gets around 30 miles to the gallon. It shows that they still don't get it. If I buy american again it looks like a ford escape hybrid, provided the price comes down. Not all americans can afford $30-40K for a good family car.

The good news with that is that Penske is buying the Saturn brand. Hopefully, they'll be able to get the manufacturing contracts up to par.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

My last vehicle I bought in 2003, A brand new F150 King Ranch 4X4, hasn't been taken in for any failures yet.

My last vehicle I bought in 1995. A brand new Ford Ranger (2WD), hasn’t been taken in for any failures yet. :)
/Marg

Still have all those stickers on it??

My last vehicle I bought in 2003, A brand new F150 King Ranch 4X4, hasn't been taken in for any failures yet.

My last vehicle I bought in 1995. A brand new Ford Ranger (2WD), hasn’t been taken in for any failures yet. :)

Still have all those stickers on it??

Most of them. :ph34r:
Gained a couple and lost one big one.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Not all americans can afford $30-40K for a good family car.

Any idea how much each American is paying for those cars, whether or not they actually get one to drive?

Not quite sure I understand what you are asking. What I can say is the average income in america right now is $30K a year. with that kind of income, only dodge neon's and ford focus's are in the price range. Foreign companies like Kia target the average american better than cadillac.

You could always lease a car, but to me that is the automotive equivalent to buying a house with an interest only loan. It gets you in but doesn't keep you there. You will always have a car payment. I hope you don't go over on your miles either or you are really screwed. Leases have always been a money making scam buy the automotive companies to get you in more car than you can afford, buy a new car every couple of years, and always have a car payment.

Needless to say, your american choices seem to be limited if you don't have a lot of money and you want something reliable for the family.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Any idea how much each American is paying for those cars, whether or not they actually get one to drive?

The total "loan" is $50 billion. But, costs always go up when the government is involved.

Just wait, GM employees will be made eligible for TSP, TriCare, etc...
Make light!

Not quite sure I understand what you are asking.

I was asking what the cost per taxpayer is of the current GM production. How much does each American pay for those cars, which they will not get to drive (unless they pay even more to "buy" one of the cars which they've already paid for)?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was asking what the cost per taxpayer is of the current GM production. How much does each American pay for those cars, which they will not get to drive (unless they pay even more to "buy" one of the cars which they've already paid for)?

Based on that logic, we should all buy GM cars.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sure. The more we can pump up GM sales, the less it will cost the taxpayers. Do the patriotic thing, and buy GM (and Chrysler)! Unpatriotic Fords should be avoided, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Chrysler may suck but I am loyal to my Jeep (wrangler) I've owned a CJ, YJ, and now a 07' JK and all of them have been great. The YJ and JK are both Chrysler..... I am hearing rumors in the Jeep community that Ford is looking to buy Jeep which would be great although I think it is the only good vehicle Chrysler makes.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Or be given one... :P

Hey Obama, I know you're still sorting out the whole healthcare thing, but we all now demand free cars with free maintenance...
:D:D:D:D
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Or be given one... :P

Hey Obama, I know you're still sorting out the whole healthcare thing, but we all now demand free cars with free maintenance...
:D:D:D:D

I guess you'd be satisfied with a $170 car, then, since that is your share of the taxpayers' loans.

And remember that the GM bailout started under Bush, not Obama. Just like the recession.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But, costs always go up when the government is involved.

It would be nice if such an assertion was ever backed up with proof. The fact is, neither the public nor the private sector has an inherent advantage w/r/t efficiency.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

But, costs always go up when the government is involved.

It would be nice if such an assertion was ever backed up with proof. The fact is, neither the public nor the private sector has an inherent advantage w/r/t efficiency.

I wasn't talking about efficiency, I was talking about cost.
Make light!

I wasn't talking about efficiency, I was talking about cost.

Perhaps you would care to explain the difference in the context of manufacturing.

I believe that there can be efficient, yet expensive manufacturing processes. Japan is one example. Their costs are very high, yet their manufacturing is efficient and yields very high quality (meaning products sourced and produced in Japan).

China obviously has lower costs, and seemingly streamlined processes, yet that does not equate to efficiency, and we know it certainly does not equate to quality.

That's my quick and dirty. You're a numbers type guy right? Surely, you can see the difference. Efficiency and low-cost do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.
Make light!

Neither voting option suited me so i didn't vote.
When I go to buy my next vehicle, GM will get the same consideration from me as any other company. If I let politics sway my decision I may miss out on a car or truck that would fit my needs better than any other.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Efficiency and low-cost do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

All else equal, they do.

...and...what, that's it?

Prove it then.

If China can build a widget for $100, but their process involves using human labor because there are so many Chinese, and they have to give people jobs (the joys of central planning), so the process takes 5 people to make, and since there is so much handling, the accuracy tolerances are within a few millimeters.

Japan can build the same widget for $300, but their process involves one person, and computer aided assembly allowing for precise construction, tolerances within fractions of a millimeter.

Which is more efficient?

A comparison to my original thread. Do a search on BMW assembly in Germany versus GM assembly in Michigan.
Make light!