jerryzflies

Who's in charge in SC?

He'll just ride out the rest of his time as Governor and then go do whatever.

Translation: he will quickly write a book before his name's currency dissipates, go on the lecture circuit for $75k a pop, and then have a lucrative career as a political consultant and TV news show pundit.

Now he disappears into the backwoods for a few days. Who knows what he was up to?
-------------
We'll I guess we all know now what was really going on. What a surprise, out of character. I've eaten my share of crow this afternoon.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he can't run for re-election in 2010 due to term limits, correct? And his Presidential shot is pretty much down the tubes. He's already resigned his slot as Chairman of the RGA, I'd bet that's all we're going to see from him as far as resignations go. He'll just ride out the rest of his time as Governor and then go do whatever.

correct, he can't run again
the politicians seem to be accepting his apology, acting nice, wishing him well that he can heal his marriage and finish his term as a good leader, so he will probably remain governor
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Now he disappears into the backwoods for a few days. Who knows what he was up to?
-------------
We'll I guess we all know now what was really going on. What a surprise, out of character. I've eaten my share of crow this afternoon.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Man, here I was being arrogant, loud mouthed, accusatory, conspiratorial, running on and on being a nonsensical, hypocritical political hack, and nothing. It was SC fodder at it's worst, and NOTHING!
Thread dies out.
Throw a little sex in the mix and BOOM! IT's ALIVE!!!!!!
:D

>sort of the like the "normal deception" of the REST of the MSM making sure
>that party affiliation is mentioned in the first couple sentences if the miscreant
>is a republican, while conveniently forgetting to mention it until the last couple
>paragraphs (if at all) if it's a democrat?

Sort of. Except one is a lie. Unfortunately, most FOX viewers are no longer able to tell the difference.

Mistaken identity - they thought it was John Edwards and didn't get it all corrected... :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That John Kerry, he's oneclassy guy!!

WASHINGTON – U.S. Sen. John Kerry must have been channeling his inner Letterman yesterday.

The Bay State senator was telling a group of business and civic leaders in town at his invitation about the “bizarre’’ tale of how South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford had “disappeared for four days’’ and claimed to be hiking along the Appalachian Trail, but no one was really certain of his whereabouts.

“Too bad,’’ Kerry said, “if a governor had to go missing it couldn’t have been the governor of Alaska. You know, Sarah Palin.’’

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Which "usual deception" is that, Bill . . .

Switching him from a republican to a democrat as soon as his misdeeds become public. You may have remembered FOX doing that back when the Mark Foley scandal broke.

(Note that when a democrat is doing well, ahead in the polls or whatnot, FOX tends to replace their party affiliation with "republican.")

Ah, I see - sort of the like the "normal deception" of the REST of the MSM making sure that party affiliation is mentioned in the first couple sentences if the miscreant is a republican, while conveniently forgetting to mention it until the last couple paragraphs (if at all) if it's a democrat?

Doesn't all the whining and sniveling about the unfairness of the media get tiring?

The GOP sets itself up for this by preaching it's the party of "family values" at every opportunity.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

I think if I see one more married politician or clergyman do a tearful public apology over sexual misconduct, I'm going to puke. I've grown completely numb to it.

Agreed. I think somebody should do a split screen video; you know, . . . just for fun. On one side is him having sex, on the other a video of the apology.

The tearful apology reminds me of the Python skit where the award winner is giving his acceptance speech and has the little water squirters hooked up to produce streams of tears.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think if I see one more married politician or clergyman do a tearful public apology over sexual misconduct, I'm going to puke. I've grown completely numb to it.

Better carry a barff bag.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

The GOP sets itself up for this by preaching it's the party of "family values" at every opportunity.

That's better than having no values at all, and just being a full-time liar and whore.

Who's the most moral person?
1) Someone who lies, cheats and steals all the time, and has no remorse about it, or;
2) Someone who leads a mostly moral life, but on rare occasions makes a mistake?

Do any of you out there have complete moral authority to throw the first stone?

>Do any of you out there have complete moral authority to throw the first stone?

And THAT is precisely the point. This passage is even more applicable:

"How can you say to your brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in your eye, when you yourself behold not the beam that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of your own eye, and then shall you see clearly to pull out the mote that is in your brother's eye."

Perhaps Mark Sanford could have better used the time he spent telling other people to resign after cheating on their wives to save his own marriage. A lot of family-values types lately have spent a lot more time noticing specks in other people's eyes instead of dealing with the beam in their own.

That's better than having no values at all, and just being a full-time liar and whore.

1) Someone who lies, cheats and steals all the time, and has no remorse about it, or;
2) Someone who leads a mostly moral life, but on rare occasions makes a mistake?

I have no authority. I like to think I have no morals either. (Those assume some person or being (usually divine in some way) granting or dictating them.

What I do have is personal principles, and one of them is that if you're going to fuck someone other than your spouse - get permission or get a fucking divorce.

I don't get cheating on somebody and staying married to them.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Oddly absent (but starting to be mentioned) from the reporting is the fact that Sanford and his wife were separated a couple weeks BEFORE the incident.

Well then I guess it's OK that he ran off to South America without telling anybody where he was going or leaving anybody in charge. My apologies Gov. Sanford. You are a saint among men.

I don't get cheating on somebody and staying married to them.

you know, the order of actions should be pretty clear

If things are bad:

1 - try to fix it
2 - get out
3 - get over it
4 - find someone new

that's the order, doesn't take a rocket scientist

It's amazing how efficient people are - they just skip straight to #4 [:/]

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Oddly absent (but starting to be mentioned) from the reporting is the fact that Sanford and his wife were separated a couple weeks BEFORE the incident.

Before he got caught by the media, he has been banging this other woman for a year (at least a year he is willing to admit to)

Well then I guess it's OK that he ran off to South America without telling anybody where he was going or leaving anybody in charge. My apologies Gov. Sanford. You are a saint among men.

Hyperbole much?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

False dichotomy

Yes, anyone who is neither a sleaze nor a self-righteous hypocrite, since Sanford is both.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that Gov. Sanford's ability to govern must be called in to question.

I like his fiscal conservatism, but that does not outweigh the judgment that says, "Sure, you can leave the country, putting yourself in position of potential blackmail, while lying to the staff, security, family, and constituents that voted for you."

:S:S

So, what to do? He's already in a "lame-duck" status now that the State Supreme Court overruled his policy to deny stimulus money. That makes him ineffective at best.

I think he should resign his governorship. His role as a front line politician is over. Certainly he is shrewd enough to make power plays behind the scenes.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

False dichotomy

Yes, anyone who is neither a sleaze nor a self-righteous hypocrite, since Sanford is both.

And excluding the people who said it was 'no big deal' when Clinton was playing humidor with Monica.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706