dreamdancer

U.S. Senate Votes Formal Apology for Slavery

Having a "show" apology where none of the people doing the apologizing had any real responsibility in the unjust act is a sham.

No it's not. See posts #s 101 and 123.

Fuck it, I'll even reiterate it so you don't have to scan back up to those posts. It's not about the actions of any individual people, it's about the actions of the separate entity known as the US government. Nancy Pelosi isn't apologizing, the government is. If it would help, just think of the government like a guy named Frank. Frank is apologizing for his actions against African-Americans.

Having a "show" apology where none of the people doing the apologizing had any real responsibility in the unjust act is a sham.

No it's not. See posts #s 101 and 123.

Fuck it, I'll even reiterate it so you don't have to scan back up to those posts. It's not about the actions of any individual people, it's about the actions of the separate entity known as the US government. Nancy Pelosi isn't apologizing, the government is. If it would help, just think of the government like a guy named Frank. Frank is apologizing for his actions against African-Americans.

Sorry, I don't buy this "country apology" thing. If a country did something wrong, it makes amends by doing it right. Apologies are personal acts, governments shouldn't have the right to make that call for its populace. An apology only has real meaning if it comes from the heart of the person responsible for the injustice.

Besides, do you have any idea how much inhumanity to man has gone on over time? Take this to its logical conclusion and governments won't have time to do anything else but apologize.

I don't understand the people who have a problem with this. Apologies don't hurt the people who offer them and have the potential to make the recipients feel better. The only logical opposition to such a gesture would come from those who don't consider our collective actions in this matter regrettable.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What are "collective actions"?

Actions carried out by a group as a whole. As opposed to individual actions. For example, in this case the collective action is the US government allowing slavery to continue legally. An individual action would be a plantation owner purchasing a slave.
In the discussed resolution, the Congress is apologizing for the collective actions of the US government, not the individual actions of individual slave owners who are pretty much all dead.

In the discussed resolution, the Congress is apologizing for the collective actions of the US government, not the individual actions of individual slave owners who are pretty much all dead.

In the interest of diligence, I just checked. They're all dead.

I don't understand the people who have a problem with this. Apologies don't hurt the people who offer them and have the potential to make the recipients feel better. The only logical opposition to such a gesture would come from those who don't consider our collective actions in this matter regrettable.

What a statement. Everyone who disagrees with you thinks that slavery was okay. How desperate can you get?

What a statement. Everyone who disagrees with you thinks that slavery was okay. How desperate can you get?

Perhaps you should read it again, because that's not what I said. And no, I'm not desperate...that would be illogical. :D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Perhaps you should read it again, because that's not what I said. And no, I'm not desperate...that would be illogical. :D

Right. And the only logical conclusion I can derive from your highlighted statement is that you're unwilling to address what I said before:

An apology only has real meaning if it comes from the heart of the person responsible for the injustice.

The government is capable of doing six types of things...

1) Things that accomplish good and are expensive
2) Things that accomplish good and are really expensive
3) Things that accomplish bad and are expensive
4) Things that accomplish bad and are really expensive
5) Things that accomplish nothing and are expensive
6) Things that accomplish nothing and are really expensive

I think the disagreement here is whether this was a number 1 or a number 5.

Rewrite of Number 3 - Things that make a good sound bite and for a few of them are "intended" to accomplish something good, but really make things worse

and are really expensive

I contend Number 3 constitutes 90% of the output of the US Government

The other 10% involves cheese whiz and dried fruit

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Right. And the only logical conclusion I can derive from your highlighted statement is that you're unwilling to address what I said before:

An apology only has real meaning if it comes from the heart of the person responsible for the injustice.

You don't think a leader, figurehead, board of directors, or representative can honestly apologize for the actions or errors of the populace/company/group? And even if they can't, how would their attempt harm you?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Besides, do you have any idea how much inhumanity to man has gone on over time? Take this to its logical conclusion and governments won't have time to do anything else but apologize.

Take that to its logical conclusion and the result is world peace.

Take that to its logical conclusion and the result is world peace.

at least it'll slow them down in taxing and spending and bailouts and nonsense and......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You don't think a leader, figurehead, board of directors, or representative can honestly apologize for the actions or errors of the populace/company/group? And even if they can't, how would their attempt harm you?

To the degree you abstract an apology from the person who is directly responsible, you diminish its value. Why would an apology even matter if the person apologizing had nothing to do with the bad act? And when we're talking about apologizing for something that occurred before any of us were born, it's even more ridiculous. So no, I don't believe Reid, Pelosi, et al should be able to apologize for slavery on behalf of the entire country.

A genuine, heartfelt apology for a non-trivial offense is a rare and precious thing. A sham apology like this one, clearly politically motivated, diminishes us all. Its main effect is to desensitize people to apologies in general and induce a cynical response when a real one comes along. The politicians have already done that very thing to politics itself. They should leave it at that.

A formal motion of apology

On 9 December 1999 Liverpool City Council passed a formal motion apologising for the City's part in the slave trade. It was unanimously agreed that Liverpool acknowledges its responsibility for its involvement in three centuries of the slave trade. The City Council has made an unreserved apology for Liverpool's involvement and the continual effect of slavery on Liverpool's Black communities.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/srd/liverpool.aspx
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

This might work out for me:

If I fart in the Twin Otter, are ALL the other skydivers in the plane collectively responsible? Shouldn't they all issue an apology?

It might benefit you in other ways too.

A few years ago back at Archway I was load organizing and I screwed up the spot -- pretty bad. We spotted ourselves out of a King Air at the time. Of course, notionally everyone is responsible for their own decision to exit the aircraft and not depend on the person spotting or the green light. I apologized and bought the folks on the jump with me jump tickets. Partially it was my pride for having screwed up the spot. Luckily it was a 6-way, iirc, which made it even more embarrasing to me to screw up (Iirc, the 2-tandems asked for a go around .. don't remember what happened to the freeflyers :P), and jump tickets were a lot cheaper then. One of the guys on that jump, DaveO, used to post on dz.com.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Thank ya all for the cool discussion in this thread. Not sure if I agree with you or not ... but ya's made me think about the ideas, actions, and policy in new ways. :)

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

To the degree you abstract an apology from the person who is directly responsible, you diminish its value. Why would an apology even matter if the person apologizing had nothing to do with the bad act? And when we're talking about apologizing for something that occurred before any of us were born, it's even more ridiculous. So no, I don't believe Reid, Pelosi, et al should be able to apologize for slavery on behalf of the entire country.

A genuine, heartfelt apology for a non-trivial offense is a rare and precious thing. A sham apology like this one, clearly politically motivated, diminishes us all. Its main effect is to desensitize people to apologies in general and induce a cynical response when a real one comes along. The politicians have already done that very thing to politics itself. They should leave it at that.

As I've tried to explain on numerous occasions so far, apparently to no avail, the "person" apologizing here is the Congress, not Reid or Pelosi. So yes, that "person" was alive for the actions and that "person" is responsible for the bad act. So now that "person" is apologizing.

The Congress "apologizes to African-Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow laws."

I'm going out on a limb and am going to say that none of the current generation have been slaves. Maybe a few have been discriminated against and that is about it. I haven't discriminated against anybody though.

I, however, have been passed over for promotion because I am not a minority under the "affirmative action" crap. I'm still waiting for my apology. Since I am white, I guess I will be dead and gone for several generations before someone apologizes to my great-great-grand kidsB|
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The Congress "apologizes to African-Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow laws."

I'm going out on a limb and am going to say that none of the current generation have been slaves. Maybe a few have been discriminated against and that is about it. I haven't discriminated against anybody though.

I, however, have been passed over for promotion because I am not a minority under the "affirmative action" crap. I'm still waiting for my apology. Since I am white, I guess I will be dead and gone for several generations before someone apologizes to my great-great-grand kidsB|

2 Points which I think I've already made but will restate:

1) While legal slavery ended in 1865, forms of slavery continued in the U.S. until around the end of WW2. So it's entirely possible that an African-American who was enslaved is still alive.
2) Even if all of the slaves are dead, the fallout from slavery affects African-American families to this day. Therefore, they get an apology too.

i don't believe this story :)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding