ChasingBlueSky

Former Mental Patient Kills Son/Self at Gun Range

I believe that if you hand someone a firearm, whether they are paying you to rent it or just borrowing it, you have a duty to evaluate them and decide if you think they ought to have a gun in their hand.

Agreed.

In this case, whoever gave her the weapon (i.e. the range, or their employee) did a poor job of this.

Disagree - how do you know that the woman was showing outward signs of mental distress?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen in an area with trained and armed people.

Thought this was only supposed to happen in gun-free zones.

'

Any gun range I've gone to in IL requires you to have a FOID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOID_(firearms)) to get a rental.

If you have a licensed skydiver (gun range equivalent: 21 or older) that rented equipment and killed themself with it, why would you say the dropzone (range) is at fault, if the person was legal to jump (rent a gun)?

I rent (and sell) parachutes quite frequently. If I rent gear to someone, I have a responsibility to evaluate their ability to use it. If I rent (or sell) gear to someone with no jumping experience and they go hook themselves in then I screwed up.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Nope. Using your analogy, the correct scenario would be a licensed skydiver renting gear and going in on a no-pull.

I don't think so. This woman wasn't a "licensed skydiver."

Yes, she was - she was of legal age to own a pistol, therefore of legal age to rent a pistol. The equivalent of a licensed skydiver, not someone who faked up a logbook.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Regardless, there is no requirement and no mechanism in place for a gun range to do background checks on potential renters. In fact, it could very well be a HIPAA violation, as it exposes identifiable medical information.

I'm wondering if there should be a mechanism in place for them to either do background checks or at least require a license/permit to be presented that shows a background check has been done. I'm not sure how far that background check should go though. I sort of think that involuntary commitments should be included in that check and exclude a person from legally having a gun, but I guess I would need to know more about that process before saying for sure.

The FBI instant check system is fast enough that it could be used for rentals, but I'm not sure how the FBI would feel about adding the extra load to their system.

I don't think we need any new laws here, but if I owned a range, I'd make a requirement that you had to do one of the following to rent a gun:

Present a valid carry permit (I'd take a FOID or similar, although I'm generally against the state requirements for them)
Submit to an FBI instant check
Be known to the staff as a regular who had previously passed a check (many ranges essentially do this by requiring membership)

I'd just want to do that for my own peace of mind.

Again, I don't think we need a law to require anything like that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Nope. Using your analogy, the correct scenario would be a licensed skydiver renting gear and going in on a no-pull.

I don't think so. This woman wasn't a "licensed skydiver."

Yes, she was - she was of legal age to own a pistol, therefore of legal age to rent a pistol. The equivalent of a licensed skydiver, not someone who faked up a logbook.

But licensed skydivers is a USPA rule, not a law...so a non-USPA DZ could rent gear to a jumper that wasn't licensed. Again, correct me if i am mistaken.

If that doesn't work, then tweak the analogy to one of renting high-performance gear to a licensed jumper with 50 jumps. The guy legally can jump a high-performance canopy, right?

Edited to add: Hit post too quickly. My real interest is in seeing the perspective of why you think the range has NO responsability in this (legal responsability or ethical responsability).

So she should be precluded from owning a firearm, but not from renting one?

Again, does the owner of the range not have some sort of fault in this?

skydiver, not someone who faked up a logbook.

But licensed skydivers is a USPA rule, not a law...so a non-USPA DZ could rent gear to a jumper that wasn't licensed. Again, correct me if i am mistaken.

If that doesn't work, then tweak the analogy to one of renting high-performance gear to a licensed jumper with 50 jumps. The guy legally can jump a high-performance canopy, right?

Edited to add: Hit post too quickly. My real interest is in seeing the perspective of why you think the range has NO responsability in this (legal responsability or ethical responsability).

Because, in both the examples you use, the DZ *did* have knowledge that the person wasn't qualified to jump, or to jump that HP canopy.
Unless there's new information that I'm unaware of in this case, there was no sign that the woman was mentally disturbed.

That is why I used the "licensed skydiver that rents a rig and no-pulls" - because the person *IS* qualified to use the equipment and the DZ doesn't *know* that the person is going to no-pull.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to be as clear as I can, and it makes sense to me, but I may not be expressing myself well.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So she should be precluded from owning a firearm, but not from renting one?

Again, does the owner of the range not have some sort of fault in this?

If you can show me a law that requires a range owner to do the same background check that is required for purchase or that the woman was showing obvious signs of mental distress, then yes.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

skydiver, not someone who faked up a logbook.

Because, in both the examples you use, the DZ *did* have knowledge that the person wasn't qualified to jump, or to jump that HP canopy.
Unless there's new information that I'm unaware of in this case, there was no sign that the woman was mentally disturbed.

That is why I used the "licensed skydiver that rents a rig and no-pulls" - because the person *IS* qualified to use the equipment and the DZ doesn't *know* that the person is going to no-pull.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to be as clear as I can, and it makes sense to me, but I may not be expressing myself well.

So does the fact that someone can do something legally make them qualified to do it?

I never said licensed skydiver. There have been 1st jump student suicides. Walk in, sign your name, pay your money and use the situation and equipment to kill yourself.

Agreed.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If you can show me a law that requires a range owner to do the same background check that is required for purchase or that the woman was showing obvious signs of mental distress, then yes.

I don't want to show you such a law. I hope such a law never exists.

Law and responsibility are not the same thing.

I'm against most laws. We have loads of pointless, silly rules on our books.

The way to avoid silly rules is for people to show a bit of personal responsibility without being forced to by some bureaucrat from Washington.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The FBI instant check system is fast enough that it could be used for rentals, but I'm not sure how the FBI would feel about adding the extra load to their system.

I don't think we need any new laws here, but if I owned a range, I'd make a requirement that you had to do one of the following to rent a gun:

Present a valid carry permit (I'd take a FOID or similar, although I'm generally against the state requirements for them)
Submit to an FBI instant check
Be known to the staff as a regular who had previously passed a check (many ranges essentially do this by requiring membership)

I'd just want to do that for my own peace of mind.

Again, I don't think we need a law to require anything like that.

IF you had a range, someone would commit suicide with one of your rentals regardless of the measures you took.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

IF you had a range, someone would commit suicide with one of your rentals regardless of the measures you took.

That's probably true, but if I had a range and someone killed themselves, I'd feel responsible if I didn't do everything possible to prevent it.

And if I couldn't completely eliminate the chance of them taking someone else with them, I'd wouldn't have the range in the first place...

And if I couldn't completely eliminate the chance of them taking someone else with them, I'd wouldn't have the range in the first place...

I don't think it is possible for a range to "completely eliminate the chance" of a customer killing another customer. And back to the dz analogy - the same could be said for a dz.

Then you wouldn't have a range.

A few months ago here in Huntington Beach a local killed himself at our range. He was a regular there with a membership. He rented a .357 and purchased 200 rounds of ammo. He fired every single round. The last one went in his head.

Not quite what I said. It's one thing if someone takes themselves out, it's another if they take out others.

Then you wouldn't have a range.

A few months ago here in Huntington Beach a local killed himself at our range. He was a regular there with a membership. He rented a .357 and purchased 200 rounds of ammo. He fired every single round. The last one went in his head.

Not quite what I said. It's one thing if someone takes themselves out, it's another if they take out others.

Then you still wouldn't have a range - you couldn't afford to keep the doors open with only one customer at a time.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Then you still wouldn't have a range - you couldn't afford to keep the doors open with only one customer at a time.

Then I guess the solution is do nothing. Kind of like the owner's reaction.

"Sometimes, like what happens Sunday, you have no control," Anderson said. "There's nothing you can do to prevent it."

I don't think it is possible for a range to "completely eliminate the chance" of a customer killing another customer. And back to the dz analogy - the same could be said for a dz.

Just because you can't "completely eliminate" all negative outcomes doesn't mean you shouldn't try to eliminate a negative outcome.

Throwing up your hands and claiming there's nothing to be done because perfection is not possible is just plain irresponsible.