Andy9o8

Jindal Admits his Katrina Story was Bogus

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/02/jindal_admits_katrina_story_was_false.php

If this was supposed to be the GOP's new star "alternative brown messenger", I think they need to go back to the bullpen.

Jindal Admits Katrina Story Was False
By Zachary Roth - February 27, 2009, 12:39PM

Looks like the game is up.

Remember that story Bobby Jindal told in his big speech Tuesday night -- about how during Katrina, he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with a local sheriff who was battling government red tape to try to rescue stranded victims?

Turns out it wasn't actually, you know, true.

In the last few days, first Daily Kos, and then TPMmuckraker, raised serious questions about the story, based in part on the fact that no news reports we could find place Jindal in the affected area at the specific time at issue.

Jindal had described being in the office of Sheriff Harry Lee "during Katrina," and hearing him yelling into the phone at a government bureaucrat who was refusing to let him send volunteer boats out to rescue stranded storm victims, because they didn't have the necessary permits. Jindal said he told Lee, "that's ridiculous," prompting Lee to tell the bureaucrat that the rescue effort would go ahead and he or she could arrest both Lee and Jindal.

But now, a Jindal spokeswoman has admitted to Politico that in reality, Jindal overheard Lee talking about the episode to someone else by phone "days later." The spokeswoman said she thought Lee, who died in 2007, was being interviewed about the incident at the time.

This is no minor difference. Jindal's presence in Lee's office during the crisis itself was a key element of the story's intended appeal, putting him at the center of the action during the maelstrom. Just as important, Jindal implied that his support for the sheriff helped ensure the rescue went ahead. But it turns out Jindal wasn't there at the key moment, and played no role in making the rescue happen.

If this was supposed to be the GOP's new star "alternative brown messenger", I think they need to go back to the bullpen

What we need is a new party of fiscally conservative libertarians. It's as if they chose him and asked him to come up with a speech the night before. Silly story notwithstanding, there was some great content, we just need an Obama delivery. We need Ronnie.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

If this was supposed to be the GOP's new star "alternative brown messenger", I think they need to go back to the bullpen

What we need is a new party of fiscally conservative libertarians.

A US analog to the UK's Liberal Democrats? Maybe. We do have the Libertarians in the US, but they haven't done enough to make the cross-over from silly to serious.

It's as if they chose him and asked him to come up with a speech the night before. Silly story notwithstanding, there was some great content, we just need an Obama delivery. We need Ronnie.

And I'd add (Bill) Clinton to that list of compelling communicators. As Tom Tancredo (R-CO) says in this article , Jindal is "steak without the sizzle." Now, Obama and Clinton were both top Ivy League intellectuals. But Reagan, and I say this as objectively as possible, was a mediocre intellect at best. He was all about ideology; and in private, he had surprisingly little fluency with substance. So what was they key to his monumental success? Delivery.

And I'd add (Bill) Clinton to that list of compelling communicators. As Tom Tancredo (R-CO) says in this article , Jindal is "steak without the sizzle." Now, Obama and Clinton were both top Ivy League intellectuals. But Reagan, and I say this as objectively as possible, was a mediocre intellect at best. He was all about ideology; and in private, he had surprisingly little fluency with substance. So what was they key to his monumental success? Delivery.

Reagan was very good with speeches and getting the correct message delivered at the right time. Obama is a very good speaker but unless someone gives him the correct words to say he sucks.(great speech bad content) You can see the difference from running for president and being president and Obama needs to go back to having the handling he had before he was elected.

You can see the difference from running for president and being president and Obama needs to go back to having the handling he had before he was elected.

just a tad premature on that one - a clearly partisan statement.

Reagan was getting shot and presiding over a worsening economy his first 2 years, Oh, and deepening the Cold War. Scary times all around, regardless of the speeches Ron was giving.

My God, is your head so far in the sand that you don't realize that both parties use fear to motivate the population? The Democrats are using economic fear, the Republicans used terrorism fear. Same shit, different day.

- Dan G

At least Ronnie kept it positive.

That's revisionist history. So, in the interest of historical completeness:

For all his cheerleading (which there was), the Reagan administration was also a skilled practitioner of The Politics Of Fear: Reagan capitalized on people's paranoia's of invasion by Communists, gay men with AIDS, brown-ish immigrants and "welfare queens". In 1980, he launched his presidential campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi with a speech championing "states' rights", long a Deep South civil rights era code-phrase used to embody Southern whites' fears of blacks. Those are just a few examples. So while much of Reagan's messages were positive, plenty of them were very negative fear-mongering, too.

At least Ronnie kept it positive.

That's revisionist history. So, in the interest of historical completeness:

For all his cheerleading (which there was), the Reagan administration was also a skilled practitioner of The Politics Of Fear: Reagan capitalized on people's paranoia's of invasion by Communists, gay men with AIDS, brown-ish immigrants and "welfare queens". In 1980, he launched his presidential campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi with a speech championing "states' rights", long a Deep South civil rights era code-phrase used to embody Southern whites' fears of blacks. Those are just a few examples. So while much of Reagan's messages were positive, plenty of them were very negative fear-mongering, too.

the difference wasn't that he told people what was happening, he left the public feeling it was being taken care of and we could live our lives. A positive outlook coming from the president means alot to how the people react and Obama isn't helping things with his sky is falling act.

he left the public feeling it was being taken care of and we could live our lives

I don't remember that. I remember the tent city in Houston, the drop in real estate prices, the first time I heard about creative financing like negative am mortgages, that people who watch late night TV "deserve" credit, cocaine and crack, that AIDS was the gay disease and that drinking from a water fountain could give it to you... There were the Libyan terrorists who were going to attack us, the worsening relationship with Iran, and our help to Iraq making that even worse.

Reagan was sunny-dispositioned; no doubt about it. There's a reason he was called the teflon president -- nothing stuck to him. Not that he was evil, either. Frankly, America needed a sunny disposition. But you have to take reality along with it.

And let's not forget the excesses of the S&L scandal, and the stock market crash in 1987.

In 20 years, we might think about these times differently, too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Really? The right wing hasn't tried to use fear to win elections? Have you been sleeping since 9-11?

who said anything about getting elected? the left wants to ram shit down our throughts and are using fear to do it.

Hello Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, and war in Iraq. Both parties are guilty on this front, but I'd say the Republicans are even worse about it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Really? The right wing hasn't tried to use fear to win elections? Have you been sleeping since 9-11?

who said anything about getting elected? the left wants to ram shit down our throughts and are using fear to do it.

Hello Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, and war in Iraq. Both parties are guilty on this front, but I'd say the Republicans are even worse about it.

Blues,
Dave

the patriot act i have mixed feelings on, if used properly can be a very good thing but if missused could be very bad. unfortunatly the gov rarely does things properly.