Andy9o8

New meat for yet another gun thread

You decide.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/24/miami.shooting/index.html

Victims say masked gunman responsible for Miami shootings

* Story Highlights
* NEW: Teen tells WSVN that masked gunman ordered victims to ground, opened fire
* "Someone must know who could've done this horrific crime," officer says
* Six victims are students, graduates of Northwestern Senior High School
* Crowd of people standing at streetcorner was fired upon Friday night, police say

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Miami police issued a plea for information Saturday after at least one person with an assault rifle opened fire on a crowd of people on a streetcorner Friday night, killing two teens and wounding seven other people.

"We need the community to come together, someone come forward and give us a tip," Miami Police Officer Kenia Alfonso told CNN.

"There are a lot of people in that area. Someone must have seen something, someone must know who could've done this horrific crime."

Alfonso said two teens, ages 16 and 18, died in the attack, which broke up a game of craps in front of a grocery store about 9:50 p.m. Friday in the city's Liberty City neighborhood.

Five of the shooting victims were still in the hospital Saturday night, according to CNN affiliate WSVN.

Others told WSVN that a masked man with an AK-47 burst onto the scene and ordered everyone to the ground.

"Boy came round the corner; he was like, 'Get down,' and he just started shooting," 16-year-old victim Andrew Jackson told WSVN. VideoWatch as resident describes scene as "war zone" »

Six of the nine shot were current or former Northwestern Senior High School students, Alfonso said.

"It was like a war zone," resident Joan Rutherford told WSVN. "I witnessed this guy laying there with his face, looked like it was completely tore off. His eyes was all I could see, and he had a grip on some money and gasping and trying to lift his head up to say something."

Police Chief John Timoney said that at least one man with an AK-47 "discharged numerous rounds, then ran around the corner. There were some more rounds discharged there from an AK-47 and another weapon."

One of those wounded was in critical condition Saturday and undergoing surgery, Timoney said.

"We are convinced that because of the amount of people out here last night that there is somebody that knows the individuals or individual involved, and we need them to come forward," Timoney said, according to WSVN.

"These are weapons of war, and they don't belong on the streets of Miami or any other street in America," Mayor Manuel Diaz said. VideoWatch Miami residents call for stricter laws »

Alfonso said police did not know the motive for the shooting and had no suspects.

It proves neither.

Criminals will always be able to get guns. If they can smuggle in x tons of cocaine and marijuana per year, they can smuggle in weapons.

My personal choice is to have a weapon to defend myself. Is it the perfect answer for all possible confrontations, of course not - but, like a reserve, when you need it, you need it NOW.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You decide.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/24/miami.shooting/index.html

Victims say masked gunman responsible for Miami shootings

* Story Highlights
* NEW: Teen tells WSVN that masked gunman ordered victims to ground, opened fire
* "Someone must know who could've done this horrific crime," officer says
* Six victims are students, graduates of Northwestern Senior High School
* Crowd of people standing at streetcorner was fired upon Friday night, police say

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Miami police issued a plea for information Saturday after at least one person with an assault rifle opened fire on a crowd of people on a streetcorner Friday night, killing two teens and wounding seven other people.

"We need the community to come together, someone come forward and give us a tip," Miami Police Officer Kenia Alfonso told CNN.

"There are a lot of people in that area. Someone must have seen something, someone must know who could've done this horrific crime."

Alfonso said two teens, ages 16 and 18, died in the attack, which broke up a game of craps in front of a grocery store about 9:50 p.m. Friday in the city's Liberty City neighborhood.

Five of the shooting victims were still in the hospital Saturday night, according to CNN affiliate WSVN.

Others told WSVN that a masked man with an AK-47 burst onto the scene and ordered everyone to the ground.

"Boy came round the corner; he was like, 'Get down,' and he just started shooting," 16-year-old victim Andrew Jackson told WSVN. VideoWatch as resident describes scene as "war zone" »

Six of the nine shot were current or former Northwestern Senior High School students, Alfonso said.

"It was like a war zone," resident Joan Rutherford told WSVN. "I witnessed this guy laying there with his face, looked like it was completely tore off. His eyes was all I could see, and he had a grip on some money and gasping and trying to lift his head up to say something."

Police Chief John Timoney said that at least one man with an AK-47 "discharged numerous rounds, then ran around the corner. There were some more rounds discharged there from an AK-47 and another weapon."

One of those wounded was in critical condition Saturday and undergoing surgery, Timoney said.

"We are convinced that because of the amount of people out here last night that there is somebody that knows the individuals or individual involved, and we need them to come forward," Timoney said, according to WSVN.

"These are weapons of war, and they don't belong on the streets of Miami or any other street in America," Mayor Manuel Diaz said. VideoWatch Miami residents call for stricter laws »

Alfonso said police did not know the motive for the shooting and had no suspects.

I have to wonder what we are not yet being told. Like, was this gang and drug related? (bet it was)

But, its time to blame the tool again instead of the killers and the social situation that this killing was commited under.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Regarding your poll options:
1. This proves guns make society more dangerous, by making more dangerous guns available to criminals
2. This proves guns make society safer, since armed citizens can intervene against armed criminals
This story doesn't prove anything so grand all by itself. It's just one incident. A better opinion poll would have been to omit the words "This proves":
1. Guns make society more dangerous, by making more dangerous guns available to criminals
2. Guns make society safer, since armed citizens can intervene against armed criminals

Until law enforcement can catch those doing the killings and drive-bys, they will continue. This is just chewing the same rag and getting nowhere. I can only be redundant when I say... guns don't kill people... people kill people. Continually blaming an in-animate object is silly.
Like Mike said, Id rather have a gun like a reserve. When you need it... you got it.

Chuck

Regarding your poll options:

1. This proves guns make society more dangerous, by making more dangerous guns available to criminals
2. This proves guns make society safer, since armed citizens can intervene against armed criminals
This story doesn't prove anything so grand all by itself. It's just one incident. A better opinion poll would have been to omit the words "This proves":
1. Guns make society more dangerous, by making more dangerous guns available to criminals
2. Guns make society safer, since armed citizens can intervene against armed criminals

Well, I'm really quite the amateur when it comes to creating stimulating, yet fair, polls. Expert advice is always welcome.

Both of your options are incorrect.

I wonder if the gun in question was bought legally? I wonder if any of the current 2000+ laws were followed?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

More guns in Mexico come from the U.S.

Chuck

I've heard that from the Brady folks...not sure I 'buy' it, though - they can get milsurp through the black market for less than they could get anything stateside
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm not so sure I buy it either! I kinda threw that out there to see what would happen. Personally, I get a little tired of these anti gun folks. They're just too blind to see that the only problem is that bad guys have guns and they aren't going to stop it so, they just don't want anyone to have guns. That's a little too narrow minded for me. Thankfully, we have the NRA behind us!

Chuck

Thankfully, we have the NRA behind us!

For all the good that does us - I prefer GOA or JPFO, to be honest.

I just learned something! I was of the impression that the NRA was the biggest, wealthiest gun lobby we had!? Though I don't pay much attention to gun groups on either side, I just own my guns and enjoy them and don't really get into all the 'politics'. That only gives me a headache.:D

Chuck

I took a little time and checked-out GOA... pretty impressive! It appears that they 'git after it' in regards to the rights of gun owners and possibly, more effective. I'm glad you pointed them out to me. After reading their web-page, they'll cause one to take notice! Thanks!

Chuck