rushmc

Why it is different this time around?

The first links speak to the specific numbers. Fact remains (even though you want to ignore it) that Obamas party (not counting security) will cost way more than Bush's. It is being reported differently. Why?

The oddity of this whole silly thread is it compare's Bush's SECOND party, one you could argue isn't even an inauguration, to Obama's first.

And it's certainly true that Obama has a much greater pool of people to thank than Bush did.

>I do not percieve anything.

Top mainstream media stories on inauguration costs:

======================
Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy
Some estimates peg cost of inauguration gala as high as $150 million

updated 11:20 a.m. PT, Sat., Jan. 17, 2009
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.

The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
=======================
Obama Inaugural To Be The Most Expensive Ever

Reports say President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration tomorrow will be the most expensive ever. (M. Spencer Green/Associated Press)
Critics Of Bush’s 2005 Inauguration Are Now Silent
By Michael P. Tremoglie, The Philadelphia Bulletin
Published: Monday, January 19, 2009'

Reports indicate $150 million will be spent by President Barack Obama to celebrate his inauguration ($45 million without security costs). Set against the backdrop of rising unemployment, mortgage foreclosures, homelessness, massive bankruptcies, plunging stock values and soaring national debt many are questioning the wisdom of this.

“He campaigned as a representative of the average American — of the common man,” said Fred McCaffrey, owner of McCaffrey Communications, a public relations consulting firm. “How can he and his supporters justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars with a war in Iraq and an economic depression at home?"
========================
Obama Inauguration to Cost $170 Million
January 19, 2009 by
Mark Whittington

Extravagance or Economic Stimulus?
According to a story by ABC News, part of the Barack Obama Inauguration is being financed by bailed out Wall Street Executives. Apparently seven million dollars have been kicked in by the finance indu
stry's executives and employees.

The total cost of the Obama Inauguration will total an eye popping a hundred and seventy million dollars. The money goes to pay for everything from big screen TVs to allow the crowds to watch the proceedings from a distance, to port a potties, to a Bruce Springsteen concert, to security and emergency services. The latter is not only provided by the federal government, but also by the Washington DC government and the states of Virginia and Maryland.
========================
What Recession? The $170 Million Inauguration
Obama's Inauguration Has Been Financed Partially by Bailed-Out Wall Street Executives
By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ
ABC NEWS Business Unit
Jan. 19, 2009

The country is in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, which isn't stopping rich donors and the government from spending $170 million, or more, on the inauguration of Barack Obama .
IMAGE: Inauguration price tag
Employees at banks, brokerages and Wall Street firms donated $7 million Barack Obama's inauguration.

The actual swearing-in ceremony will cost $1.24 million, according to Carole Florman, spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.
============================

>I defy you find one CBS, NBC, ABC, AP, CNN, MSNBC or any other snippet
>that speaks to the high cost and what good that money could do for charity.

Done.

More projection! Dr. Phil? Dr. Phil anyone?

I'm very proud of you for admitting you support racial discrimination. Very nice - you're a standout. Get a sticky star and wear it on your lapel with pride.

I thought the next step for you would be to face the facts about the media, but this insane attempt at projection leads me to believe the next step lies up another path. Now you need to learn that people who don't support racial discrimination don't really give any credibility to those that do when speaking on civil rights. That's the next step, I believe.

Good luck! You've taken an important first step - admitting that you support racial discrimination. There's nothing stopping you from taking another. You might even try think along the lines of media and its bias as well! Wouldn't that be great?

Work hard. Soon it will come to you...

:D

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

>I do not percieve anything.

Top mainstream media stories on inauguration costs:

======================
Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy
Some estimates peg cost of inauguration gala as high as $150 million

updated 11:20 a.m. PT, Sat., Jan. 17, 2009
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.

The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
=======================
Obama Inaugural To Be The Most Expensive Ever

Reports say President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration tomorrow will be the most expensive ever. (M. Spencer Green/Associated Press)
Critics Of Bush’s 2005 Inauguration Are Now Silent
By Michael P. Tremoglie, The Philadelphia Bulletin
Published: Monday, January 19, 2009'

Reports indicate $150 million will be spent by President Barack Obama to celebrate his inauguration ($45 million without security costs). Set against the backdrop of rising unemployment, mortgage foreclosures, homelessness, massive bankruptcies, plunging stock values and soaring national debt many are questioning the wisdom of this.

“He campaigned as a representative of the average American — of the common man,” said Fred McCaffrey, owner of McCaffrey Communications, a public relations consulting firm. “How can he and his supporters justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars with a war in Iraq and an economic depression at home?"
========================
January 19, 2009 by
Mark Whittington

Extravagance or Economic Stimulus?
According to a story by ABC News, part of the Barack Obama Inauguration is being financed by bailed out Wall Street Executives. Apparently seven million dollars have been kicked in by the finance indu
stry's executives and employees.

The total cost of the Obama Inauguration will total an eye popping a hundred and seventy million dollars. The money goes to pay for everything from big screen TVs to allow the crowds to watch the proceedings from a distance, to port a potties, to a Bruce Springsteen concert, to security and emergency services. The latter is not only provided by the federal government, but also by the Washington DC government and the states of Virginia and Maryland.
========================
What Recession? The $170 Million Inauguration
Obama's Inauguration Has Been Financed Partially by Bailed-Out Wall Street Executives
By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ
ABC NEWS Business Unit
Jan. 19, 2009

The country is in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, which isn't stopping rich donors and the government from spending $170 million, or more, on the inauguration of Barack Obama .
IMAGE: Inauguration price tag
Employees at banks, brokerages and Wall Street firms donated $7 million Barack Obama's inauguration.

The actual swearing-in ceremony will cost $1.24 million, according to Carole Florman, spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.
============================

>I defy you find one CBS, NBC, ABC, AP, CNN, MSNBC or any other snippet
>that speaks to the high cost and what good that money could do for charity.

Done.

and the comments to how the money could be better spent is where?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>and the comments to how the money could be better spent is where?

"How can he and his supporters justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars with a war in Iraq and an economic depression at home?"

Eyes wide shut indeed.

Nice dodge.

what about the charities and the arogance that was Bushs?

Yes, eyes wide shut........
Abraham Lincoln

I read a couple of stories on the cost as well. The difference between GWB's and BHO's is the blatant contempt and ridicule of the former. Media were on GWB like a hawk on its prey. They were prodded by bloggers and Fox into reporting on BHO's costs.

I think the compare and contrast between transitions and the coverage of both will be quite telling. Massive borking campaign for GWB's nominees vs those of BHO, for example. Media won't be screaming about BHO not listening to those who disagree with him when he makes a decision that pisses off conservatives, rest assured.

I'm really glad to see that borking hasn't occurred yet and hope it does not. I always thought it bad for the country and the zero-defect mentality for public servants to be goat-fuck stupid. The lies the cowards told about Bork were disgusting and cast a pallor over the nomination process that has pervaded it ever since - except for nominees of Democrats, as a general rule. A few Democrat nominees have been held up - but not by lies; some of them deserved to be held up/defeated, and others not.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

>I think the compare and contrast between transitions and the coverage of
>both will be quite telling.

Indeed it will. I predict conservatives will overlook the criticism over the expense of his inauguration (and the artificial inflation of the cost) because to see it will be to give up their image of themselves as victims of a liberal media.

> They were prodded by bloggers and Fox into reporting on BHO's costs.

?? Uh, the Associated Press is basically making up astronomical numbers for the cost of the inauguration, and everyone is running with those (unsupported) numbers. So unless you consider the AP to be in league with bloggers, that statement doesn't make much sense.

More projection! What a fantastic defense mechanism you've developed! Now it's gone from race to sex! Amazing!

And no answers to any query with regard to the media! How nice.

FYI - I don't care what race or sex anyone is for purposes of employment, platonic friendship, government service, collegiate admission, or pretty much any other issue where it might be used as a discriminator. For non-Platonic friendships I do care what sex a person is but race is non-sequitur. Because of those beliefs, I do not support racial or sexual discrimination under any guise - call it affirmative action or call it whatever - as a method for curing perceived or actual social problems.

Deal with it however you like. Discrimination begets discrimination begets discrimination. And YOU support discrimination - not I. Project as you will, facts are stubborn things. And facts they do remain.

Now...are you EVER going to answer queries about the media? Or keep running?

Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Did you an expect an answer?

Running from the facts with their tails between their legs whilst howling insults at their opposition has been the trademark of the left for years.

Facing the fact that the mainstream media is biased as HELL in their favor is something they simply lack the courage to do.

you watch fox news
This website has become tiresome...

Desperate. You guys are making yourselves look silly.

:D:D

So why is it different?

You will not answer even though I think you know!

And, I never said the cost was good or bad. YOU are making that assumption ( I assume)

I only want to know why it is different for Obama this time around.

(and you say we look silly):S

It's not? If he ends up spending big on this, I will complain. But from what I have read nearly $50m has been raised for the event and more will be raised tonight and tomorrow. Depending on the slant of the news source I've seen estimates from $50m to $400m. So, the fact is that fund raising has been happening to take care of the cost, it's just the "experts" coming up with all sorts of estimates.

Desperate. You guys are making yourselves look silly.

:D:D

So why is it different?

You will not answer even though I think you know!

And, I never said the cost was good or bad. YOU are making that assumption ( I assume)

I only want to know why it is different for Obama this time around.

(and you say we look silly):S

It's not? If he ends up spending big on this, I will complain. But from what I have read nearly $50m has been raised for the event and more will be raised tonight and tomorrow. Depending on the slant of the news source I've seen estimates from $50m to $400m. So, the fact is that fund raising has been happening to take care of the cost, it's just the "experts" coming up with all sorts of estimates.

However it is look at he will spend at least as much as Bush. Much more is more likely. And again, I have not once complained about the money. I have posted only to the news coverage and the MAJOR differences. Thats it.......
Abraham Lincoln

Did Bush fund raise for his?

Not much differnence between what is happening with Obama. many many donation.
Abraham Lincoln

You did not actually read the links about WHO paid for both did you.

Your answers were right there staring you in the face.

Irelavant to my post. I dont care who or how much. Never have

YOU need to read and comprehend what is being posted here
Abraham Lincoln

Just so you feel a little better about your original post, I am happy to report, for your sake, that the major media outlets have been discussing the cost of the inauguration. Then they move onto the messages of hope, change, and unity that seem to be much more important to the majority of Americans. I know this because I have been watching the news all day...
:-)

>Fact remains (even though you want to ignore it) that Obamas party (not
>counting security) will cost way more than Bush's. It is being reported
>differently. Why?

The fact is that it is not. Your own post proves that there is a big stink over it.

The more important question is - why do you PERCEIVE it to be different? Is it merely because he's a democrat?

I do not percieve anything.

Look at the links.
I already said I unerstand that it is donated moneies. They want to through money away I dont care.

But, YOU DID answer the question billvon. You at least are honest as you nailed the reason.

I defy you find one CBS, NBC, ABC, AP, CNN, MSNBC or any other snippet that speaks to the high cost and what good that money could do for charity. At least at the same level seen for Bush.

It is your perception that is skewed by eyes wide shut......

>Just so you feel a little better about your original post, I am happy to
>report, for your sake, that the major media outlets have been discussing
>the cost of the inauguration.

I think that will be bad news for most conservatives. It makes it harder to claim they are victims of a big liberal/mainstream media conspiracy to suppress the truth and promote only liberals.

>Just so you feel a little better about your original post, I am happy to
>report, for your sake, that the major media outlets have been discussing
>the cost of the inauguration.

I think that will be bad news for most conservatives. It makes it harder to claim they are victims of a big liberal/mainstream media conspiracy to suppress the truth and promote only liberals.

Never said they were NOT reporting about it. I said they are reporting it differently. Much differently.

Where is outcry about the charities that are loosing out. The comments to travesty of the over the top spending. How the money could be used better elsewhere.

Again, eyes wide shut.........
Abraham Lincoln

>How the money could be used better elsewhere.

"How can he and his supporters justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars with a war in Iraq and an economic depression at home?"

Of course, that was over ten posts ago; you can't be expected to remember that sort of ancient history. Especially with your eyes closed.