JackC

Atheist advert provokes complaint

I asked your god to end suffering, pain, war, and to stop babies starving to death. What would be the "right" motives then?

Usually a typical Christian reply to this is "God has its own ways and we shall not try to understand them as we cannot anyway". Which basically means everything they do might make no sense at all, and it's still possible that at the end only married gay people will go to Heaven. After all, it would be just one of those "own ways".
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Currently there is an enourmous ammount of evidence to suggest that gods DO NOT exist, and it is ever increasing, and not a shred of evidence to suggest they DO exist.

However I am much easier to please then you, I will change my mind when there is ONE piece of evidence to suggest your god or any god exists.

I don't know about you, but the evidence is there. Just look within.

Usually a typical Christian reply to this is "God has its own ways and we shall not try to understand them as we cannot anyway". Which basically means everything they do might make no sense at all, and it's still possible that at the end only married gay people will go to Heaven. After all, it would be just one of those "own ways".

Well then, the moral of your story is pretty clear. Don't waste time on things you can't change or understand. There are plenty of things you can understand and change which would be a better use of your time. Such as your own personal relationship with God.

Well then, the moral of your story is pretty clear. Don't waste time on things you can't change or understand.

There is no moral in my story. It just shows a major flaw in the way some Christians justify their beliefs, and why everyone better follow them.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Global warming doesn't exist
It does exist, but we don't cause it
It good for us

God doesn't exist
If he did, he doesn't bother with us, we're on our own
Well, he does, but I wouldn't change my actions

I love religions

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Currently there is an enourmous ammount of evidence to suggest that gods DO NOT exist, and it is ever increasing, and not a shred of evidence to suggest they DO exist.

However I am much easier to please then you, I will change my mind when there is ONE piece of evidence to suggest your god or any god exists.

Head...Wall....Bangs...

not my words but sums it up rather nicely...

[sic]So, too, for the "feeling" that God exists. This is no different than the "feeling" I once had that the Tao governs the universe, or the "feeling" others have had that aliens visit them, the spirits of the dead talk to them, or several gods and nature spirits live all around them. People have "felt" the existence of so many contradictory things that we know "feeling" something is the poorest possible evidence we can have. Most people "feel" something completely different than we do, and since there is no way to tell whether your feeling is correct and theirs is wrong, it is just as likely that theirs is correct and yours is wrong. And since there are a million completely different "feelings" and only one can be true, it follows that the odds are worse than a million to one against your feeling being true. So "feeling" that God exists fails to meet even a minimal standard of evidence
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

That's just plain bollocks[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Head...Wall....Bangs...

[sic]So, too, for the "feeling" that God exists. This is no different than the "feeling" I once had that the Tao governs the universe, or the "feeling" others have had that aliens visit them, the spirits of the dead talk to them, or several gods and nature spirits live all around them. People have "felt" the existence of so many contradictory things that we know "feeling" something is the poorest possible evidence we can have. Most people "feel" something completely different than we do, and since there is no way to tell whether your feeling is correct and theirs is wrong, it is just as likely that theirs is correct and yours is wrong. And since there are a million completely different "feelings" and only one can be true, it follows that the odds are worse than a million to one against your feeling being true. So "feeling" that God exists fails to meet even a minimal standard of evidence

I find nothing in your quote to disagree with. But apart from an inward spiritual pursuit, knowledge of God is unattainable , as is manifestly obvious by a lot of the posts here. I can only speak for myself, but I have always had an intense interest even craving to know God. I have spent a good part of my life creating my own value system and reality with less than optimal results. As I have adopted Gods viewpoint and reality, the insatiable need I felt within my self awareness has been quieted and satisfied. Right or wrong, better or worse, it is truly a blessing in my life.

Head...Wall....Bangs...

I find nothing in your quote to disagree with. But apart from an inward spiritual pursuit, knowledge of God is unattainable , as is manifestly obvious by a lot of the posts here. I can only speak for myself, but I have always had an intense interest even craving to know God. I have spent a good part of my life creating my own value system and reality with less than optimal results. As I have adopted Gods viewpoint and reality, the insatiable need I felt within my self awareness has been quieted and satisfied. Right or wrong, better or worse, it is truly a blessing in my life.

This is where you and I differ considerably, I have quite the opposite, I have absolutely no craving to know god, which I feel is truly a blessing in my life.

Many consider this to be simply biological, the "god gene". However this does pose a tricky theory for the god followers... however I post this knowing full well that it will simply be dismissed and ignored by you in your typical close minded approach to your belief in god.

John Schellenberg wrote an interesting paper that if there were a God, then nonresistant nonbelief would not exist. But, he continues, the existence of nonresistant nonbelief is undeniable: there are individuals who do not believe in God for reasons having nothing to do with emotional or behavioral opposition towards God, towards relationship with God, or towards any of the apparent implications of such a relationship. For example, some former believers who would have loved to go on believing in God could not do so because a serious and honest examination of all the evidence available to them unexpectedly eroded away their belief. Additionally, throughout human history theistic belief has never been a live option for scores of human beings either entrenched in alternative religious traditions or lacking the basic conceptual conditions to even be able entertain the idea of an all-powerful, all-knowing, and perfectly good creator God separate from the physical universe. From this it follows that God does not exist. A perfectly loving God would ensure that meaningful contact with himself was always possible for those he loved, but just by looking around we can see that this state of affairs does not obtain. Weak theistic evidence, then, provides strong atheistic proof.
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

This is where you and I differ considerably, I have quite the opposite, I have absolutely no craving to know god, which I feel is truly a blessing in my life.

Many consider this to be simply biological, the "god gene". However this does pose a tricky theory for the god followers... however I post this knowing full well that it will simply be dismissed and ignored by you in your typical close minded approach to your belief in god.

.... Weak theistic evidence, then, provides strong atheistic proof.

No worries.:)

.... Weak theistic evidence, then, provides strong atheistic proof.

No worries.:)

Perception isnt good enough, your "feeling" that God exists is no different than the "feeling" others have had that aliens visit them, the spirits of the dead talk to them, or several gods and nature spirits live all around them. People have "felt" the existence of so many contradictory things that we know "feeling" something is the poorest possible evidence we can have. Most people "feel" something completely different than we do, and since there is no way to tell whether your feeling is correct and theirs is wrong, it is just as likely that theirs is correct and yours is wrong. And since there are a million completely different "feelings" and only one can be true, it follows that the odds are worse than a million to one against your feeling being true. So "feeling" that God exists fails to meet even a minimal standard of evidence.

Also as a loving parent, I would think it a horrible failure on my part if I didn't educate my children well, and supervise them kindly, teaching them how to live safe and well, and warning them of unknown or unexpected dangers. If they asked me to butt out I might. But if they didn't, it would be unconscionable to ignore them, to offer them no comfort, protection, or advice. Indeed, society would deem me fit for prison if I did. It would be felony criminal neglect. Yet that is God: An absentee mom--who lets kids get kidnapped and murdered or run over by cars, who does nothing to teach them what they need to know, who never sits down like a loving parent to have an honest chat with them, and who would let them starve if someone else didn't intervene. As this is unconscionable, almost any idea of a god that fits the actual evidence of the world is unconscionable. And any such deity could never be the Christian God

Also as a loving parent, I would think it a horrible failure on my part if I didn't educate my children well, and supervise them kindly, teaching them how to live safe and well, and warning them of unknown or unexpected dangers. If they asked me to butt out I might. But if they didn't, it would be unconscionable to ignore them, to offer them no comfort, protection, or advice. Indeed, society would deem me fit for prison if I did. It would be felony criminal neglect. Yet that is God: An absentee mom--who lets kids get kidnapped and murdered or run over by cars, who does nothing to teach them what they need to know, who never sits down like a loving parent to have an honest chat with them, and who would let them starve if someone else didn't intervene. As this is unconscionable, almost any idea of a god that fits the actual evidence of the world is unconscionable. And any such deity could never be the Christian God

All good points. Ultimately what one gravitates to is what can be understood and is meaningful. I can not speak for anyone else, but for me, God has been all the things a loving parent could be. I did have to relinquish control before I could experience what God had to offer. I don't know why the suffering in the world is allowed to continue, but the suffering I have experienced personally, has brought me closer to God.