shropshire

Mother Earth would be better of without us..

>That makes about as much sense as "your body would be better off
>without red blood cells" or similar.

More like "your body would be better off without pinworms." Pinworms are natural, somewhat symbiotic - but you can live without them, as the earth could live without humanity. We could not live without red blood cells.

And remember... when the aliens come they are going to eat the fat people first!!

That depends on how health concious they are ... ;) ... might be the skinny ones like me that go first ... :|
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Earth would be better off with less people, but not no people.

It would just take longer to completely fuck up the planet - that's all.

To a large extent the planet is self-sustaining, trees grow back, animals repopulate etc. But above some critical level of population of any species, the strain on the environment is greater than it can support and that's when the damage is done. Below that critical level of population, the planet can pretty well look after itself.

>It's my view that humans are such an integral part of the Earth's
>ecosystem that it would be entirely different without us.

It would indeed be somewhat different. Some deserts would be drier; our irrigation brings a lot of water to places like the Anza Borrego desert. CO2 and mercury levels would be lower. Many lakes would not exist. Many species would never get the chance to travel thousands of miles and establish themselves in new locations (like the Norway rat, the zebra mussel, kudzu and the rabbit in Australia.) Some rivers (like the Colorado) _would_ exist and would travel to the sea.

I don't know if the earth would be _entirely_ different without us. Since we've seen what the planet looked like in many places before we became so numerous, we have a good idea of what it would look like without any of us.

>It's my view that humans are such an integral part of the Earth's
>ecosystem that it would be entirely different without us.

It would indeed be somewhat different. Some deserts would be drier; our irrigation brings a lot of water to places like the Anza Borrego desert. CO2 and mercury levels would be lower. Many lakes would not exist. Many species would never get the chance to travel thousands of miles and establish themselves in new locations (like the Norway rat, the zebra mussel, kudzu and the rabbit in Australia.) Some rivers (like the Colorado) _would_ exist and would travel to the sea.

I don't know if the earth would be _entirely_ different without us. Since we've seen what the planet looked like in many places before we became so numerous, we have a good idea of what it would look like without any of us.

and from a biological and evolutionary point of view the world would likely thrive as it did before massive intervention from humans.
It would be different without doubt, over time our dams would fail, insects would flourish, planetary gasses would change.
But none of this would be of concern because the Earth would find is own balance
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Klaatu barada nikto

:D Just finished watching that movie for the first time in 25+ years an hour ago. Watching First Spaceship on Venus (1961) now.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Klaatu barada nikto

I thought is was

Klaatu Varada nikto

it was on SciFi last week here B|B|

Holy Shit, Squeak! It's "barada", not "varada"! If you say "varada" they will attack!
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.