Gawain

Still Calling it Right -- Fed Pledges $7.4 Trillion

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=arEE1iClqDrk&refer=home

When will you get it? I've been saying from the beginning this wasn't going to cost as advertised.

When will you pick up the phone, and flood your reps with demands that they stop "trying to help".

That is a full 50% of everything we make.

You government is willing to leverage YOU 50%....

There has been no transparency, no one knows where this money is going, all I know is we can't reasonably afford this.

What will it take for you to get mad at this?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

A mountain of debt is not a good foundation on which to build a sound economy.

I think a lot of people who look at there own checkbook can agree with you. It's a shame the asshats in Washington keeps giving money away like there are no consequences or end in sight. >:(
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

>It's a shame the asshats in Washington keeps giving money away like there
>are no consequences or end in sight.

Yep. Hopefully next time said asshats propose a tax cut they can't pay for, you'll remember what happened last time they based the government on a mountain of debt.

Yep. Hopefully next time said asshats propose a tax cut they can't pay for, you'll remember what happened last time they based the government on a mountain of debt.

So in your world if Bush didnt give the tax cuts we would be able to pay for this $7.ib bailout? It doesnt matter what you do with taxes. The people in Washinton will spend what they want. They either dont understand or they just dont give a shit.

Obamer will be taking care of everything in just over a month. Then it will all be okay. So I'm not sweatin' it.

Wghat the US really needs is another 4 years with that fine Texan Genius at the helm....:S

Xactly! Cuase, you know whot I mean, evryone know that dem peeple from CHacago be lots smurter then those dum Texas rednecks. So we aint a got nuthin ta worry bout - it all be okay reel soon.

>So in your world if Bush didnt give the tax cuts we would be able to pay for this
>$7.ib bailout?

We would be better able to pay it, yes. We would be better able still if we hadn't increased government spending by half a trillion dollars a year. That would be four trillion in the bank (or more accurately not taken out of the bank) that we could use towards this 7 trillion bailout.

>The people in Washinton will spend what they want.

Until we stop them. But we never will - because there are programs everyone (including you) refuses to cut. Multiply that by 300 million and you have the problems we are facing now.

Until we stop them. But we never will - because there are programs everyone (including you) refuses to cut.

Including me? Ok Bill. Tell me what program I dont want to see cut. I guess I dont know. Show me the way.

The most important line from the Bloomber article that you cited:

the credit that is the lifeblood of the U.S. economy

We've gotten by on credit for the last 50 years. And now we are 100% dependent on it as a country. It might work for 50 years, but eventually, corporations will figure out how to leverage themselves to the point that the entire system collapses.

Homeownership is the foundation of credit, and almost no one can afford a house without it. Fine. But do you really need a new car on 5-years of credit? Can you live without the bathroom accessories that you just put on your credit card?

The banks will start thawing the credit markets quick, since the government is going to strong-arm them (a little, remember, they're friends). Combined with the drop in interest rates, smart people will refinance their house in, oh, about February. You will probably be able to pick up a 30-year fixed at 4% (or less).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

could someone who better understands the language of these bailout bills please tell me how, or IF, student loans will be affected? i have read and read, and researched and researched, but i just do NOT understand how this bailout works. i've accepted that, but i would like to know how the lending process for private student loans will be changed. more strict criteria, higher interest rates...what? i'ts coming up on time for me to apply for next year's loans, and i'm really afraid i won't get them. are lenders for private loans being helped the way mortgage lenders are?

[:/]

Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

i've accepted that, but i would like to know how the lending process for private student loans will be changed.

Federally guaranteed loans will still be easier to get, if you qualify. They've always come with a built-in "bailout" (government will pay the bank if you don't). They are considered a good credit risk by banks, so they will be some of the least impacted.

Private student loans follow the standard credit markets. So you're credit rating will be checked, as well as any cosigners, same as always. The standards for lending are going up, meaning if your credit score is in the 500s, then you may not qualify, but if they are in the 600s, then you probably won't have a problem, assuming you aren't heavy into debt already.

Do you have co-signers on your private loans? Their leverage and credit scores will be factored in.

No, I'm not a financial adviser, or monetary expert, so take the advice with a grain of salt. But I had student loans, too, so I've been there.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD