klingeme

When do you think life starts?

In a fetus, the brain starts working at between 8-12 weeks. The fetus becomes viable after about 24 weeks. So choosing a line between those extremes, to me, would be defensible.

No without a serve amount of medical intervention, not merely parental care.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have to admit that until this year I didn't give it too much thought and I felt that on abortion it was more a personal choice. But Biden changed my mind.

He answered that he was pro choice but he also said that he believed life began at conception. The dichotomy was profound for some reason and it forced me to think it through. After all if you believe that life begins at conception, then logically abortion is murder. Using that path a woman choosing an abortion would not logically be any different than a woman who hires someone to kill her 2 year old child. But, that is a logic that will start fires so it was necessary to try to undersstand why it is so charged an issue.

I reasoned that if one believes that taking a life is wrong then how can they condone abortion. Of course that led to the when does life start debate.

For the answer to this I considered the feeling of the woman. This is where it gets very emotionally charged. I wondered why a woman would fight so hard for the right to do what nature abhors. This was not a religious argument to me but a zoological as well as an anthropological one.

My conclusion was that only if society absolves the female of the species from a subconsciously deep betrayal of her biological responsibility can she consciously deal with the act. This deals not with the human being but the human animal, the naked ape.

From this perspective one could then infer life begins at conception and that preventing life (contraception) and ending it were completely separate outside of religion.

Of course this is a controversial subject. One has to ask why and the why is a very interesting question. Is perpetuation of the species a higher responsibility programmed in our DNA and does that lead to a social morass? I believe so.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Enough of this grey area stuff, what do YOU believe is the "Magical Moment" when life starts?

edited to add that I voted conception.

In my observation, most people define life starting at the stage when they can no longer
justify or control the guilt they experience after killing it.

Enough of this grey area stuff, what do YOU believe is the "Magical Moment" when life starts?

edited to add that I voted conception.

In my observation, most people define life starting at the stage when they can no longer
justify or control the guilt they experience after killing it.

A profound observation. And very accurate.

About 1 in 5 pregnancies end in a spontaneous miscarriage. That makes God the greatest abortionist of all.

But in most cases no less a source of grief and in many cases no less a source of guilt. Which says to me that the intervention of the religious aspect isn't significant. Although "God's will" is as power for some as "Legal abortion" is for others.

Observe an ape that aborts and she will exhibit a behavior. She never goes to church although I can't comment on whether or not she believes in God.

Observe an ape that aborts and she will exhibit a behavior. She never goes to church although I can't comment on whether or not she believes in God.

Exhibit a behavior? I'm not sure what that means. It's expected that she might feel and display grief, but what does god or church have to do with that? You imply that she feels guilt... why else bring up church or god?
Owned by Remi #?

About 1 in 5 pregnancies end in a spontaneous miscarriage. That makes God the greatest abortionist of all.

i think you will find it's higher than that
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

But in most cases no less a source of grief and in many cases no less a source of guilt. Which says to me that the intervention of the religious aspect isn't significant. Although "God's will" is as power for some as "Legal abortion" is for others.

Most of the miscarriages happen in the 1st weeks and the women more often than not does not even know she was pregnant so the grieving process would be very short indeed (i.e. non existent)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>i think you will find it's higher than that

About 25% of pregnancies end in a miscarriage. However, about 60% of fertilizations fail to develop, primarily due to lack of implantation. In both cases a fetus is killed.

exactly so fertilisations have occured, therfore to some (not me by a long shot) it was a life which is now expunged
GODs an ass>:(

:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And everyone dies eventually, and god controls everything so he kills everyone.......yada, yada, yada, next point.

Does a fertilized egg that doesn't implant have a soul?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Only if it's a black zygote, then it has Soul, and Rythm and it can dance and play Basketball too:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Does an unfertilized egg have a soul? Does it have half a soul? Does not having unprotected sex snuff out a potential life?

Should it have half a Social Security number? Should the woman get half a deduction on her income tax?

Inquiring minds want to know.

When they start contributing something of value to the world. Leaves open an argument for retroactive abortion. Like the dirtbag driving his car in front of mine today that threw his fast food trash out the window of his car at 55 mph.

:P

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

When they start contributing something of value to the world. Leaves open an argument for retroactive abortion. Like the dirtbag driving his car in front of mine today that threw his fast food trash out the window of his car at 55 mph.

:P

OK, you have my vote:)

Should it have half a Social Security number? Should the woman get half a deduction on her income tax?

Half a Social Security number imposes some pretty significant math challenges. It's an odd number.
Owned by Remi #?

Half a Social Security number imposes some pretty significant math challenges. It's an odd number.

Yours may be but mine is an even number:P

what a woman and her doctor decide is the choice they deal with,

I can never understand why the doctor gets higher billing than the father or the baby.

the doctor is just a service provider, if he won't do the procedure, there's always another.

In each scenario, there's only one mother, one father, and one "viable life mass" involved.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants