JohnRich

Old people shouldn't be allowed to buy guns?

News:
Gun purchase glitch raises questions

Delaware State Police stopped Alvina Vansickle from purchasing a .22-caliber pistol for self-defense because she was too old and a woman, said Superintendent Col. Thomas MacLeish.

Without so much as a traffic ticket, the 81-year-old Lewes resident should have sailed through the mandatory state police background check when she tried to buy a Taurus revolver from Charlie Steele's Lewes gun shop last August.

Problems started after Steele made the required phone call to state police for approval of the firearms transaction.

An employee in the state police Firearms Transaction Approval Program noticed Vansickle's age and gender, and brought the sale to an immediate halt.

MacLeish said the initial call taker "was concerned this individual never purchased a weapon before. Age and gender caused her to take caution."

As to whether age and gender are included in the state statute as legitimate reasons to reject a firearms purchase, MacLeish stated, "No, they are not..."
Source: Delaware Online

62 yo Tampa teacher shoots attacker

PALM RIVER - Juanita Enzor said she had no choice but to shoot Mark Johnson when she said he forced his way into her home and bedroom.

"The man kicked in my door, came into my house - I had to defend myself," Enzor said of the attack, which happened at about 5 a.m. Monday.

The 62-year-old Memorial Middle School teacher told authorities she armed herself when she heard a noise and shot when the man accosted her in her bedroom.

Enzor briefly recounted the event Tuesday, standing in her front yard chatting with, and being comforted by, a neighbor.

She said she and her attacker "tussled" both before and after she fired her firearm, showing her bruised fingers to show the force of the scuffle.

The media doesn't give that much attention to innocent people who save their own life.

...and YOUNG people should be cautioned against FIRING weapons...
My newspaper ran a short article yesterday which described a young 8 year old boy.....
who accidentally KILLED himself at a "gun show" this past weekend in Mass..[:/]>:(:(

Apparently with his father at his side, and granting approval,,, an 'instructor' handed to this Little boy,, a small UZI semi-automatic weapon..... The boy pulled the trigger,,,,, and then overwhelmed by the kickback of this killing machine,,, lost control of it's aim,,, and while STILL firing the damn thing,,, somehow managed to allow it, to rise up in such a way,,, that he fatlly shot himself in the head!!!

Damn....... what kind of gun show allows for the firing of LIVE ammo??? and what sort of father,, feels it is necessary for his 8 Year Old!!!!! to HANDLE such a weapon????... let alone,, FIRE it...:|

Think we've gone a little too far?????.. with GUN rights????..
I DO !!!!!...
hell man,, I've heard it ALL about the "right to bear arms",,, the constitutionally protected Blah Blah Blah... etc etc
Damn.. THAT amendment was written hundreds of years ago,,,,,at a time when single loader muskets were the rage, and when bears and wolves and bobcats, still roamed the areas where people were living,,,,, and where the founding Fathers were aware of the need for and the value of.... " a well regulated militia" .

NONE of that applies in todays world.... I M H O
and to fall back on those amendment rights, as an argument in favor of bullet spraying automatic weapons,,, is NOT Fair,, and dare i say,,, ??? is ignorant......

sure, i'm in favor of Hunters rights to legally use rifles and shotguns to stalk and kill 'prey'.. ( though I never have and never WILL engage in that practice , myself...)...
but where has common sense gone???

yeah yeah,,,, i've heard it all about, " we law abiding citizens need to protect ourselves from the Lawless ones,,,"..... but all that does is continues the cycle.... and people get shot to death, day in and day out.....
Wanna Know MY solution???? :):S;)B|
i dunno... i know it's a fruitless battle,,, but i and many others have done just fine, all our lives,, without having to shoot a gun....
what's with all the NRA enthusiasts out there??? something missing in their lives,,?? which justifies the sense of manhood?? which they feel comes from the barrel of a gun???

No slander to those who think differently than me... to each his own... but I bet 1,000 bucks,, that little boys father is now re-assessing , his dumb-ass decision to hand that powerhouse machine gun. to his CHILD !!>>[:/]>:(:( and THEN let him fire it.....
rant over.

jmy

...and YOUNG people should be cautioned against FIRING weapons...
My newspaper ran a short article yesterday which described a young 8 year old boy.....
who accidentally KILLED himself at a "gun show" this past weekend in Mass..[:/]>:(:(

Apparently with his father at his side, and granting approval,,, an 'instructor' handed to this Little boy,, a small UZI semi-automatic weapon..... The boy pulled the trigger,,,,, and then overwhelmed by the kickback of this killing machine,,, lost control of it's aim,,, and while STILL firing the damn thing,,, somehow managed to allow it, to rise up in such a way,,, that he fatlly shot himself in the head!!!

Damn....... what kind of gun show allows for the firing of LIVE ammo??? and what sort of father,, feels it is necessary for his 8 Year Old!!!!! to HANDLE such a weapon????... let alone,, FIRE it...:|

Think we've gone a little too far?????.. with GUN rights????..
I DO !!!!!...
hell man,, I've heard it ALL about the "right to bear arms",,, the constitutionally protected Blah Blah Blah... etc etc
Damn.. THAT amendment was written hundreds of years ago,,,,,at a time when single loader muskets were the rage, and when bears and wolves and bobcats, still roamed the areas where people were living,,,,, and where the founding Fathers were aware of the need for and the value of.... " a well regulated militia" .

NONE of that applies in todays world.... I M H O
and to fall back on those amendment rights, as an argument in favor of bullet spraying automatic weapons,,, is NOT Fair,, and dare i say,,, ??? is ignorant......

sure, i'm in favor of Hunters rights to legally use rifles and shotguns to stalk and kill 'prey'.. ( though I never have and never WILL engage in that practice , myself...)...
but where has common sense gone???

yeah yeah,,,, i've heard it all about, " we law abiding citizens need to protect ourselves from the Lawless ones,,,"..... but all that does is continues the cycle.... and people get shot to death, day in and day out.....
Wanna Know MY solution???? :):S;)B|
i dunno... i know it's a fruitless battle,,, but i and many others have done just fine, all our lives,, without having to shoot a gun....
what's with all the NRA enthusiasts out there??? something missing in their lives,,?? which justifies the sense of manhood?? which they feel comes from the barrel of a gun???

No slander to those who think differently than me... to each his own... but I bet 1,000 bucks,, that little boys father is now re-assessing , his dumb-ass decision to hand that powerhouse machine gun. to his CHILD !!>>[:/]>:(:( and THEN let him fire it.....
rant over.

jmy

Donno where you live (must be a cave) but as of the last few yrs. I've live in Fl., Nv, SoCal and Utah. In urban and remote areas. Plenny wildcats, bears and other misc. dangerous creatures (people included) still roam around. Plus the deer and elk are mighty tasty. i NEED my guns. :P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Who you callin old?

I should be done buyin guns by the time I get old (somewhere around 100 should do it). The older yu get the more you need.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

well Pal...

i sure Don't live in a cave,,,,,

and even IF there ARE wildcats and bears livin' in the areas which Man has Usurped.....
I bet you've hardly EVER saw One,, much less been threatened. by one.....and how ANY one could KILL an ELK is beyond me....
but what the hell do I know???

downwardspiral.... sure sure the reply by aka. was cute, and funny, although demeaning....
but HOW ABOUT the deal with that little KID???? was THAT also a laugh riot????

sheesh.... sorta just helps to Make my point...

jmy

well Pal...

i sure Don't live in a cave,,,,,

and even IF there ARE wildcats and bears livin' in the areas which Man has Usurped.....
I bet you've hardly EVER saw One,, much less been threatened. by one.....and how ANY one could KILL an ELK is beyond me....
but what the hell do I know???

downwardspiral.... sure sure the reply by aka. was cute, and funny, although demeaning....

sheesh.... sorta just helps to Make my point...

jmy

As far as not seeing threatning animals you are dead wrong. And a friend of mine feeds his family w/ elk and deer. You one of them veggie people? And you can read my reply to the 8 yr. old getting killed in the original thread. Damn shame.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Actually I found your post cute and funny but not really demeaning. I wasn't referring to Ak's post. The 8 year old dieing like that was horrible and tragic and completely preventable. But the difference between you and I is I blame the parents and the instructor for being morons rather than the firearm itself. Blaming the firearm would be like blaming a chainsaw for cutting off a kids arm when a father hands it to his 8 year old kid to cut down a tree. Should we then ban chainsaws? Afterall they're very dangerous and can cause dismemberment and/or death.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

NO......

i didn't see that thread

MY bad... sorry... can you steer me toward it...???

and sure D spiral i DO get it, that it's NOT the GUN.....but the foolish Dad.....

i'm NOT a big anti gun guy... I AM not.....
as i say.. to each his own....and I'm Faaaar from being a veggie nut..... I do recognize the value in finding sustenence through hunting and actually will APPLAUD those who hunt for that purpose, AND who DO utilize the game that they have shot, much better than wasteful hunters,, who sometimes, just get off on the stalking and killing part....
we have a truly diverse population in this fine country of ours but i do get tired of over zealous NRA types who parade THEIR views around,,, like it is the way everyone should follow... that's all....
and I'll ask AKA once more..... ever Been Threatened!!!!!!???? by one of these WILD animals,,, ( who is most likely MORE scared of YOU than the other way around )????

sure sure
Hell I have SEEN a bear or two in the wild myself,,, and once or twice saw what i think ,,,,, was a bobcat type feline..... but THEY stayed waaay far away from ME... AND if I could have SHOT them,,,,,, it would have been with a Nikon....;)B|

jimmy OUT

62 yo Tampa teacher shoots attacker

62 isn't old.>:(

Yes it is. 25 isn't old.

"Never trust anyone over 25". 1960s mantra. Of course, you wouldn't remember.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

we have a truly diverse population in this fine country of ours but i do get tired of over zealous NRA types who parade THEIR views around,,, like it is the way everyone should follow...

So you're against free speech for gun guys?

I'm in favor of free speech for everyone, whenever it is considerate, noninflamatory, and not SHOUTed... at me...;)
i'd be against it for 'gun guys', if they behave like "jesus freaks" or Jehovahs' Witnesses, and become unable to recognize when their "targets" are not "interested".. and thereby fail to understand when enough is enough...
In those cases they can go speak Freely!!! somewhere out of MY hearing range...:)
edited for spelling errors;):)

j