Andy9o8

Conservative/Repub Buckley Endorses Obama, Says McCain Lacks Coherence

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

***"This campaign has changed John McCain," Buckley wrote. "It has made him inauthentic. A once-first class temperament has become irascible and snarly; his positions change, and lack coherence; he makes unrealistic promises, such as balancing the federal budget 'by the end of my first term.' Who, really, believes that?

"Then there was the self-dramatizing and feckless suspension of his campaign over the financial crisis," Buckley added. "His ninth-inning attack ads are mean-spirited and pointless. And finally, not to belabor it, there was the Palin nomination. What on earth can he have been thinking?"

But Buckley made clear he's not just voting against McCain, praising Obama for his "first-class temperament and first-class intellect."

"Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy 'We are the people we have been waiting for' silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for," Buckley wrote.

Well, it looks like another one. Here is the former publisher of the National Review endorsing Obama, actually calling Obama the more conservative candidate.

http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=Core+Pages&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&tier=3&gid=B33A5C6E2CF04C9596A3EF81822D9F8E

That is sobering. History records that LBJ's decision not to run for a 2nd term was cemented by Walter Cronkite's criticism of his Vietnam policy: "If I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost the nation," he conceded.
McCain is now losing the best and the brightest of the Conservatives. In doing so, he has lost the nation.

Ron Paul quote:

A substantial portion of the conservative movement has become a parody of its former self. Once home to distinguished intellectuals and men of letters, it now tolerates and even encourages anti-intellectualism and jingoism that would have embarrassed earlier generations of conservative thinkers.

It seems that in the Conservative movement of today, intellectuals are being pushed to the back of the room.

So I guess some of them are abandoning it as the movement has abandoned them.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

He's certainly not his father. His father's probably rolling over in his grave.

:S

Nonsense: W.F.Buckley has, in the past, reached a tipping point and taken uncharacteristic positions. For example, he has, in the past, declared the Iraq war a failure. He was also a proponent of the legalization of marijuanna.

Supporting the legalization of marijuana is something most people with three digit IQ's agree upon. Buckley was a smart guy.

Supporting a fellow like Obama for president? No fucking way.

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

He's certainly not his father. His father's probably rolling over in his grave.

Nonsense: W.F.Buckley has, in the past, reached a tipping point and taken uncharacteristic positions. For example, he has, in the past, declared the Iraq war a failure. He was also a proponent of the legalization of marijuanna.

Well, since he's not following the Republican party line to a tee, that means he's not actually a Republican or a conservative. Which means he's not a patriot...which means he's a liberal...which means he's a terrorist sympathizer...which may very well qualify him as an ENEMY of America and a TERRORIST.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Well, since he's not following the Republican party line to a tee, that means he's not actually a Republican or a conservative. Which means he's not a patriot...which means he's a liberal...which means he's a terrorist sympathizer...which may very well qualify him as an ENEMY of America and a TERRORIST.

And we have the posters right here in SC that think that way... they must have a horrible life so surrrounded by the 75% of Americans they see as liberals

I wonder if Buckley will keep his job on National Review?

Nope.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Buckley leaves National Review after Obama endorsement

(CNN) — Christopher Buckley, the son of conservative icon William F. Buckley, said Tuesday he's resigned from the conservative National Review days after endorsing Barack Obama's White House bid, among the most powerful symbols yet of the conservative discontent expressed this election cycle.

Funny, the difference a year and a spot on the ballot makes:

Biden quotes

Aug. 2007 on Obama's experience: "I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training."

Aug. 2007 on Obama's threat to go into Pakistan after Al Qaeda: "The way to deal with it is not to announce it, it's to do it. . . . The last thing you want to do is telegraph to the folks in Pakistan that we're about to violate . . . their sovereignty."

Aug. 2007 on Obama's pledge to meet with leaders of rogue nations: "Would I make a blanket commitment to meet unconditionally with the leaders of each of those countries within the first year I was president? Absolutely, positively no."

Sept. 2007 on Obama's Iraq plan: "My impression is he thinks that if we leave, somehow the Iraqis are going to have an epiphany. I've seen zero evidence of that."

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Supporting the legalization of marijuana is something most people with three digit IQ's agree upon. Buckley was a smart guy.

Supporting a fellow like Obama for president? No fucking way.

Looks like the right wing is taking elitist snobbery back;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?